ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Help. Q about Brembo group buy kit

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2003, 03:48 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have now had the 330mm kit fitted for about 3 weeks now,followed running in guidelines to the letter. I have now started to use the brakes a bit harder now and noticed after a bit of spirited driving I get judder through the steering wheel which feels like out of balance wheels. I have just had the wheels balanced and its still doing it. Has anybody else who got this kit from Red Dot experienced this un-nerving behaviour. If so does it wear off with use, or should I get intouch with Red Dot as it feels not unlike warped discs I had on a 200sx without the pedal pulsing.
Advice would be most appreciated.
PS not fitting problem as done by professionals.
Old 02 September 2003, 03:53 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Sometimes there is rust built iup on the hub-the disc cannot seat properly and causes vibration.I use a wire brush/drill to clean it up first.
Could also be problems with runout-not necessarily warping.
Old 02 September 2003, 03:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the discs may have a protective coating, which you're starting to wear off. If it's uneven, then you'll get judder.

My Godspeed discs took around 6 weeks to bed in and that was with some serious abuse to try to speed things up a little.

Stefan
Old 02 September 2003, 03:57 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers, Ill attempt to take caliper and disc off tonight & clean up. Does anybody know what size allen key fits into the calliper bolts into spacer?
Old 02 September 2003, 04:19 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem. This has nothing to do with the brakes, as it was happening when not using the brakes. But this only happened to me after the brakes were fitted. Could be due to the size of the new discs. I re-balanced my wheels, but this did not really solve the problem, even though they did need balancing. I did notice that one of the wheels was slightly buckled on the front. Would not notice it until it was spun at a very fast speed on balancer. I was only getting vibration above 80...

I eventually swapped the front wheels to the back and the problem disappeared. It may also be due to the fact that when the brakes were fitted the wheels were not tightened up gradually, each nut was torqued up individually, eh not a bit at a time on each nut (does that make sense), and the wheels were tightened when up in the air, when I did it made sure that the wheel was resting on the floor. I do not get any vibration at all now. Hope that helps.
Old 02 September 2003, 04:22 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

I would not bother taking the discs off until you have done what I did above, perhaps loosing and then tightening each bolt up gradually per wheel.
Old 02 September 2003, 05:12 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Mmm, Ill give that a go, sounds the easiest to start with. Thanks.
Old 02 September 2003, 05:18 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Hopefully what I said makes sense, it defo cured mine, undo all nuts on a wheel at a time and then retighten each nut gradually, then do the same on the other wheels.
Old 02 September 2003, 05:42 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't worry it perfect sense made me to. Thanks
Old 04 September 2003, 09:23 AM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Aintbroke dontfix - How did you get on????
Old 04 September 2003, 09:57 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Changed wheels, no difference.
Took calipers and disks off, cleaned hub to shiny bright, replaced brakes, tightened nuts nice and slowly and evenly. Took for a run.
Whilst driving, no vibration at all.
Left foot braked whilst driving in 3rd to warm up the brakes, the steering wheel nearly shook out of my hands, car vibrates alarmingly and now quick pulsing through the brake pedal. Drove to let cool down and could hear, shh shh shh shh from the front offside brake pad. Have spoken to Xtreme this morning, who say it sound like a warped disk. Have booked it in on Saturday for them to check. Also spoke to Red Dot this morning, who said they would get back to me.
Not happy, but what can you do, these things happen some times. I have followed the running in schedule to the letter, with no heavy braking at all. I've only had them on the car for 2 weeks so all I can think of is there must be a manufacturing fault (like with my AP clutch from TSL) must be jinxed. I'll keep you updated
Old 04 September 2003, 10:23 AM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Should be no problem to get a new pair if there is a fault with the discs, would not worry.

I know that they sold over 40 sets from Group Buy, not heard of any other problems.

Did the problem get worse once you had taken the discs off, or was it the same. This is totally diff problem than what I had, I only had vibration through steering, not pedal, and not when I braked

I seem to remember Xtreme going on about them and saying that if you did not have braided hoses on the back as well as the front, you could burst the rears, hmmm. Should not be a problem with fitting though, as they are a piece of p1ss to fit.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:34 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

This problem has steadily got worse over the last week, taking off and putting back on made no difference. I'm having the full braided fitted by Xtreme this w/end subject to satisfactory outcome of the disks. I don't think its a marketing ploy for front and backs, as Knowlsey is no where near a hard sell kinda guy, they just offered advice (unlike some others I could mention). So once done I'll probably up for selling the redundant front braids if anybody wants em, to pay for the petrol going back and to.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:41 AM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Hopefully Xtreme can diagnose whats wrong and maybe it can be fixable. Take it easy on the brakes until then, and let us know what he says.
Old 05 September 2003, 10:46 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

I've just got off the phone to Red Dot, they are having new kits made up at the moment, so if it is a problem with the disk, they will replace it under warranty. So I will let you know the outcome once I've been to Xtreme tommorrow. He also said may still be able to get group buy if your quick, so if you missed out, they may still do it.
Old 05 September 2003, 10:52 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Red face

Aintbroke, what was up with your AP kit from TSL? I too had major problems with the kit from TSL (like the friction plate not even being a part from an AP kit!)
Old 05 September 2003, 11:06 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Friction plate was manufactured unevenly, so I got massive judder every time I used the clutch. Must say though TSL replaced it no quibble. I seem to have judders following me around in this car.
Old 05 September 2003, 11:12 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well i only found out that the friction plate wasnt an AP part after i had it fitted by a local garage, like you i had massive judder after only 20 miles of driving, car was undrivable! They sent me a "proper" AP kit to replace what they had sent me but are refusing to pay for the cost of the extra work that had to done. Not happy with them at all!
Old 05 September 2003, 11:25 AM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

So you got sold an AP friction plate, but found out later that it was not a genuine AP friction plate... I have not had any problems with TSL, but surely if they acknowledge that the part was sold incorrectly, they should replace it (which they have) and also install it for free as well - IMHO
Old 05 September 2003, 11:33 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

I e-mailed pictures of the friction plate to AP who told me it wasnt one of theirs.

The work carried out was by a local garage, basically the whole clutch job had to be done again which at the moment has come out of my pocket due to the fact that i was sold incorrect parts.

Old 05 September 2003, 11:59 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunatly it sounds like you may be a bit stuck as far as claiming labour back. If you had had it fitted at TSL, I'm sure they would have done the job again for free, like they did for me. This is as it would cost them in time, which 2nd time only took em 2 hrs to do, but if another garage does it book time it'll cost em in the pocket. I'm suprised however that they didn't, out of good will, offer to replace it for you. The problem with who's to blame is that you could end up going all the way back to the little guy in a sweat shop in Malasia who put it in the wrong box. Good luck though, the guys there seem pretty reasonable and I'm sure they wouldn't want bad mouthing on here.
Old 05 September 2003, 12:08 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thing is they didnt send me a kit like it said on their receipt, they sent me a pressure plate in its own box with the dodgy friction plate thrown in the same box. The replacement they sent was a proper kit in a subaru clutch kit box. Like i say if they had sent the correct parts in the first place then all this wouldnt have happened so in my opinion i have every right to be refunded the cost of the work having to be done again.
We'll see what happens.
Old 05 September 2003, 01:53 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

At least you have received you kits!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting for mine ........

Another week promised ........another week no delivery!!!
Old 09 September 2003, 10:43 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Red Dot yesterday, they are going to send a new set of disks out as soon as there in, apparently they have had a couple of sets in that are not mated correctly with the aluminium hub, so gives a warp feeling but no visible signs. They are manufactured in batches so should be with me soon. So if your still waiting for your kit, it should be with you presently.