Let SIDC be the ONE!

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2000, 08:36 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Jeremy,

I like the thought of the independence (though others might not seen it that way), but how would the mag make money, and who would receive the benefits of that income?
Old 11 May 2000, 10:10 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I agree totally with you Jeremy.

I'd like to see an independent magazine covering specifically Impreza Turbos. Why keep it solely internet based. I think you'd be surprised how well a magazine in the shops would sell. After all, aren't 25% of EVO subscribers Impreza owners. The magazine would make money and third party suppliers etc would pay for advertising space. Various products could be tested by not just one person but a regular group of four or five for example. I remember fast bikes used to test motorbikes and then four or so of them would give a verdict on them, you soon begin to get the feel of the journos which are most in tune with your particular way of thinking and learn to identify and trust? their opinion more and this person can be different for every reader. The money would go straight back on testing and research.

The magazine could be written by volunteers originally and then as it takes off the writers could be paid some sort of wage for their contributions.

I would quite happily volunteer for starters,

Any thoughts....."Subaru Performance"

regards,
Nito.
Old 11 May 2000, 12:50 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

On SIDC there seem to be a number of very talented, drivers, techs, writers, etc.
Why don't we all come together to create a SIDC on-line-zine (magazine).
We can do our own tests. Only we have the resources to set cars up correctly, and the facilities in which to test them fully. And importantly we have the power of many users to arrange, properly oversee, and produce articles- which if proved unfair, can be re-done and rewritten. The combination of more eyes, more cars, more diverse abilities, and the flexibility of a on-line envirnment are unbeatable. Truly, is this not the future of all magazines anyway?
Right now, much knowledge on SIDC is isolated, individual, and not peer reviewed as it happens. By conducting tests of our own we can change all this.

Some ideas for articles could be...
a.)The handling abilities of modified Impreza's in specific driving environments.
b.)Impreza VS Evo 6.
c.)The definitive tyre test-all the tyres compared.
d.)Impreza set-ups for safer handling.
e.)The best braking systems compared.

Note: No advertising influence. No time constraints. No editorial influence.

Comments please...
Old 11 May 2000, 01:38 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Any article written by anoneone on anything is biased, this is a basic fact of publishing. However the internet brings us the abillity to bypass this by having many articles available on the same subject written by many people, statisticly removing the chance for ovearll bias in any aera. If the site you describe has one article on something, someone has to edit the content including things and excluding things. Even if the editor thinks they are entirley objective any decision to include/exclude is based on some form of opinion of appropirateness, that opinon will be the one of the editor.

If you want something totally un-biased you have to look at everything written on the subject and then make up your own mind.

This ScoobyNet BBS is an excelent way to find out differing opinioins, with the minimal of censorship to protect levels of taste and decency. Also Looking round the various scooby pages on the web is a good way to find out what people have tried.

The SIDC site is good but more links to owners pages wold be usefull, however if I want to find out a list of scooby stuff I just use a search engine and have access to loads of stuff.

And before we consider ourselves good enough to make content for a Scooby Mag at the Newsagents shoulnt we be able to make true grip more that 8 Pages long???. This is not the fault of the people who produce it, the do a great job, however they are starved of content and us club members should be writing it........
Old 11 May 2000, 07:58 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Here is why we should work together to perform tests...

Example-
5 owners of LEDA modified cars can meet together at MIRA. Once there they can make sure that their cars are exactly the same, and next proceed to slightly tweak each cars suspension and geometry settings and next go out together, mixing drivers- on-track and on-road to discuss how each feels through unique conditions.

The same goes for any technical/handling/equipment questions. Joint peer review is the way to the truth.
Old 12 May 2000, 01:31 AM
Neil Oxborrow
Scooby Regular

Jeremy
Gran Turismo sums it up perfectly. This is what True Grip is supposed to be about. Anything "on-line" is great - but what about all the others who do not have access? I put True Grip together and over a three month period we really struggle to find enough content from SIDC members. This is a great outlet for members to use but it seems neglected. By all means put the ideas to the club but please don't forget the hundreds of members who do not have access to the web. Their viewpoints and comments are just as relevant as anyone elses!
Neil