Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take it you have seen www.five-o.com

[Edited by P20SPD - 9/1/2003 3:33:01 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 02:45 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just a quick note from one of us 'pigs', 'scum' or whatever else you want to call us!
I own a scooby and love it very much! (nothing more to say than that!)
I am a police officer!
We do our upmost to get to you as soon as possible!
It is not our fault comms is a joke. You phone 999 in Manchester it goes to Glasgow to be switched through to one of our aor's. Call takers take the call and take details. It is switched to comms who give the job out. Jobs are prioritised high or low. High is thieves on (someone still there etc!) low is no threat to life or limb. On a high job (and thieves on to motor vehicle or property is always high) I can hit 70 - 80 mph getting to you whilst working out escape routes for people, vehicles etc. I am also calling in other patrols and setting rv points or getting people to box areas off. Mention of a firearm will not get us there quicker, i'm going as fast as i can already!
First question to any car owner is 'Has it got a Tracker?'
Think about it, we all know how quick scoobys go, a vauxhall astra aint going to keep up with it, (but other things might! )
Believe me, 100% of us wants to catch the little blighters at it and we all do our best to help. But it is a sad fact that we don't always catch them, we don't always recover the cars and we are stretched to the limit.
I'm not asking for sympathy, i knew the score when i joined, all we ask is for a bit of common sense. Don't leave keys on show, get a tracker (what's £600 compared to the price of the car?)and just be a bit aware of your surroundings. And if someone wants to take your keys off you......... make a decision, i know what mine will be!

Rant over, carry on slagging us off!

Old 01 September 2003, 02:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the board. There's a few other officers around on here as you've probably seen

And if someone wants to take your keys off you......... make a decision
So what's legal and not going to get us banged up for assault? I guess you are all as frustrated as us when it comes to this as it isn't your call

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 01 September 2003, 02:51 PM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

Neeeee Naaaaaaar Neeeeeee Naaaaarrrrr Neeeeeeeee Naarrrrr.....................

Some good points well made
Old 01 September 2003, 02:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Welcome Chris, but rant slightly unjustified I feel!

Could be wrong, but I don't think this forum is the den of police-baiting you seem to be thinking. I'm sure most of us here know that most beat cops do a sterling job with the resources they're given.

However, by the same token I'm sure you'll admit that there are a few in the job who give the rest a bad name!
Old 01 September 2003, 02:53 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Wink

There's a few other officers around on here as you've probably seen
And a few of us waiting for a start date
Old 01 September 2003, 03:02 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I'm usually first to wade in and give the Police (only word I ever use for the law enforcement community) a good kicking. However you raise a good point, the comms situation is laughable, as is the deployment of resources.

I blame the upper echelons personally and I believe that things are only going to get worse. The thing is as the front line the rank and file are always going to get the stick.

A major attitude/culture change across the force is what's needed.
Old 01 September 2003, 03:05 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Aaaarrrrgghhh!!.......don't do it mate!
Five years down the line you'll be all bitter and twisted like the rest of us!!
Old 01 September 2003, 03:11 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Five years down the line you'll be all bitter and twisted like the rest of us!!
I cant be any worse than I was when working in IT!
Old 01 September 2003, 03:20 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

At least when you worked in IT you'd only inflict it on your equally vexed, unhealthy, acne-ridden friends.

Now you have a mandate to get out there and mix with real people.

Scary...
Old 01 September 2003, 03:22 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Legally any assault is dealt with by police officers. What that means is that if some little miscreant comes into your house after keys and you......ahem stop him, we have to see if he/she is making a complaint. If he/she does unfortunately it would be a neglect of duty not to arrest you (this can however be done by appointment rather than by clapping you in irons and throwing you in a van) and interview you on the events leading up to the assault. It is then up to the courts to decide what to do. A lot is made about the Tony Martin thing but at the end of the day the kid was running away and was shot in the back (not me backing away from self defence issues but just playing devils advocate!). Courts will listen to pleas of self defence readily. As for me, i have a small collection of oriental cutlery on display!! (rubs hands together gleefully!!)
Old 01 September 2003, 03:25 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

i think one of the problems is that a crim has too many rights whilst performing a criminal act, and if you defend your life/property it seems more often than not we'd be the ones on the worng side of the law. Not only that but then you've got the worry they're always going to come back with friends.
If you're breaking the law, shouldn't you have your protection of the very same laws forfeit?

/2ob
Old 01 September 2003, 03:28 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Now you have a mandate to get out there and mix with real people.
Used to deal with real people when I was in IT too

I was in a 'Custoemr Facing' role as opposed to the Internal stuff.

I have decided that I am going to follow my dreama nd do something that I WANT to do! and there is nothing that anybody can say that will put me off it!
Old 01 September 2003, 03:48 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

A lot is made about the Tony Martin thing but at the end of the day the kid was running away and was shot in the back
Buggerit, I thought he was running to get his mates. Erm, Me on my own with only the tools of my trade for protection (A Keyboard and mouse in my case ), 2 thieving career criminal ******* running around my house I'd use it on them and sod the consequences.

Being a Motoring forum, obviously the hot topic is going to be motoring offences. I personally feel that common sense is sometimes absent in favour of dogma and ego. When some (not all) traffic cops pull people, they really do get a high from seeing people squirm, when a few choice words would suffice. Lets face it, getting pulled over and given a bollocking for breaking the limit on a dangerous stretch of road will in most cases have the same effect (alert the driver to the hazard) as handing out a fixed penalty and points.
Old 01 September 2003, 04:15 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
I've never had a problem with the 'old bill', you boys do a good job given the 'do gooders ' out there . Wellcome to Scoobynet .

Dave
Old 01 September 2003, 04:19 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Drunkenorgy

"Buggerit I thought he was going to get his mates............

PMSL

I called ITV watch out for this line in the BILL, coming soon...
Old 01 September 2003, 04:36 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

As is always said chris29; not everyone is tarred with the same brush. (And not everyone does the tarring.)
Old 01 September 2003, 04:54 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
sorry have to put in my 2pennies worth. In my experiences I would NEVER rely on Police, (well not Beds anyway), I'd rather take my chances. !!!

Sorry, I know it is probably an isolated station, but it is only my thoughts.

(I'm now sitting with flame suit on!!)
Old 01 September 2003, 05:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I sympathise with plod in most respects. It looks from the outside to be a thankless job. On the one hand you have the public being troublesome, demanding and just plain awkward, usually because they feel victimised, betrayed, let down, unsupported, unprotected or unjustly criminilised. On the other is the courts & CPS passing stupid judgements and disproportionate sentences. I won't even mention the government. The resource debate is a joke, this country has the money, we just use it for lots of other silly reasons. We seem to have lots of "police" in Iraq at the moment.

A situation I am in with the police at the mo' involves some drunken t0553r jumping on the G/Fs bonnet, causing criminal damage to the tune of £650. After four months, I have identified the ******, acquired details such as tel. no, friends names & addresses, witnesses, employer details etc. The police stopped their investigation after we were issued the crime number. Now, armed with my evidence, they're gonna make an arrest. Still, one more "solved" for the statistics.

I would consider being a police officer, seriously, but a lot of things would have to change politically for me to actually do it. I doubt that will ever happen so for now, you guys keep up the good work. Just lay off the enthusiastic motorists and go after the real criminals .
Old 01 September 2003, 05:50 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Unhappy

Untill the courts in this country start dealing out some proper sentences, the police's hands are tied
Alot of car crime is carried out by just a few sh**heads.
When the police nab em, the courts let them go again
It must be a thankless job.
If jail sentences were longer and perhaps a bit more uncomfortable,
then perhaps some might think twice before doing the crime.
Allright, they may come out of jail with more criminal skills than they went in with, but if it was a living hell, would they want to go back again
And while in clink for a long period, they would be off the streets
I realise that it costs us a fortune to keep them in prison, but with less pleasant surroundings it may be alot cheaper.
Punish the bu**ers

And then when people get pulled over incorrect number plates or get snapped by a speed camera and get done, its no wonder that fellings turn bad.

Greg
Old 01 September 2003, 05:57 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

the real problem there though is that real crims dont think "i wont do it because i dont like prison"

My criminal mind (!) tells me they'll never catch me so i can do what i like. Im too clever, and the average copper is stupid.

if criminals thought like us law abiding citizens they'd be scared sh*tless of jail time, big fines meaning they cant keep their houses/cars/feed their families.
those deterrents simply dont work with a criminal mind.

/2ob

Old 01 September 2003, 06:02 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well I can only begin to imagine how the traffic dudes feel when having nabbed someone with no licnce / no MOT / no insurance they see them dealt with SO hard by the magistrates round our way - that means a hefty £40-80 fine + points, maybe a ban if repeat offence (ban from what I hear you ask?)

Would make me cry if I was a copper . . . sure they feel the same as the rest of us
Old 01 September 2003, 06:07 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Hey mr Police man, If a few guys entered my home and threatened me with a knife, and i then pull mr handy-dandy Beretta (blank firer) on them, and they give them selves up, once ive ordered them to get on their knees - then i tape there hands together and call da Fuzz, can I be held to account for anything apart from self defence???
Old 01 September 2003, 06:08 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

<rant response on>

Chris

Welcome to (virtual) reality m8, ther's just the same bias and bigotry here as in real life. So I'm sure you will cope

I've made a couple of criticisms recently but the most disparaging term you will ever see, or hear me adopt, is Plod. If that's in any way offensive I will drop it immediately.

In fact I'm thinking of using Five Ho Ho Ho now ('cos the service is nothing more than a joke)

Unfortunately (based on nearly 10 incidents), I can give you chapter and verse on response times and attitude. Including "you want to divert SoCO from important crimes to take fingerprints?" No of course not the Magistrate is going to send someone down based on hearsay aren't they! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I guarantee one ever reached double figures let alone 80 mph driving to me, unless they went via Lands End!

Same goes for the pensioner down the road who locked herself in the bedroom and called 999 when someone broke in. The constable who responded, Three Hours Later, found she'd been battered unconcious. To put this in context it was 8 weeks before she was discharged from hospital, so presumably that constituted a threat to life or limb.

The Howard League for Penal Reform are now suggesting elderly criminals should be detained in Nursing Homes not Prison. That little old lady would do better to "knock over" a bank at least then she'd be safe.

For years "the system" has comprehensively failed me, my family and many other law abiding individuals. FFS our residents group can't even arrange a meeting with "our" community bobby!

It's all about resources you see.

BTW There was reportedly a radar trap operating within a few miles of that old dears house.

You appear dedicated and professional, for that we should be grateful. But try to understand that people would be less incensed to be pulled for misplaced plates if the criminals were subject to the same scruitiny.

<rant response off>

B
Old 01 September 2003, 06:37 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Smile

WOW!! That'll teach me to open my mouth!!

No seriously, it's nice to hear both sides of anything. I'll have not all forces are equal, all i know is my group break our necks to get to jobs as soon as possible. I will also have that there are people in this job who are here for an easy ride and need pulling off the streets and putting behind a desk as soon as!!
If you've had a bad experiance you're bound to remember it and tell everyone and for that i applaud you, after all part of my job is to defend human rights and one of those is free speech! I don't find any reference to us offensive, 5-0 is cool, as is plod cus i know we do our best.
All i can say is if it is ever me or my mates attending your house we'll be there asap and do our best, as for everyone else.......
P.S Don't get me started on Traffic Police!!!!
P.P.S As for the blank firer and poss consequences the only offence i can think of is a section 16a firearms offence of possessing a firearm or imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence (and if you've caught two in your house I aint interested in a blank firer!!).

On a brighter note, i'm off to pick up my new (R reg) Imprezza so you can call me what you want!!!!
Laters!
Old 01 September 2003, 06:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

shame tony martin didnt hit the lads head
i hope he was aiming for it
****en scummy *******s
i would do the same
Old 01 September 2003, 07:33 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

h8 traffic police, law unto them selves.

Stuck up gits! dont even talk to bobbies in the bar!
Old 02 September 2003, 12:59 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Question

Chris, where abouts in the country are you ?
Old 02 September 2003, 01:38 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Welcome to Scoobynet but as you asked I'll wait one minute 60,.....59,...58,...57,....................1,..... go

The Courts/CPS/law makers fault and as said more rights for the Criminals than the Victims IMHO

1)
Two motor bikers goaled for 3 months for speeding (Ok 156mph) but those bikes would have a shorter stopping distance than a MK4 Cortina doing 70mph and normally they only hurt themselves.
2)
2 teenagers beat up and mugged a old lady got 200 hours Community service and probably a Holiday to Africa

Criminals/Children/Teenagers have too many rights and abuse Police quoting the law and thier rights your helpless

This happen to me

A pedestrian hit my old car and kicked(toetectors) in a wing £1000 damage Police were uninterested said your insured I caught the bloke next day who threatened kill me whilst on the phone to the Police they arrest him guess what happens nothing I was told you have insurance it's a RT incident not criminal I had the feeling that 'They were only there to Persecute, sorry, Prosecute the Motorist'.

So if I go up to a Copper in a Car, ask him if it's insured, if he says 'yes' I can them kick his car and nothing will happen??? I think not

Too many 'Joe Public' have simular expirences and little faith with Police

Tony
Old 02 September 2003, 07:31 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why are you posting on forums, shouldn't you be out catching criminals?.

Quick Reply: Lay off us a minute!