ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why did you buy your first Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 09:19 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would ask what it was that made you buy your first subaru, did you just fall in love with the sleak lines, the speed, or like me did you go through a mid life crisis, here's the deal.

I am 35 and 5 years ago my life was so different, single guy, do what i like, disposable income, etc etc and one day I was driving to an appt in my Volvo T5 and it suddenly dawned on me.

Here I was, dressed in a suit, married, with a child, driving a volvo and listening to Burt Bacharach on the CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SXXT!!!!!!

That was it for me....................total reality check, went out bought a Subaru, replaced Burt with a bit of old skool house music, and have never looked back, its amazing how one thought can have such a massive effect on you.

Anyway thats why I bought a subaru if anybody else has any stories about what made you buy your first scooby I would be interested in reading them.

Safe driving

Michael
Old 27 August 2003, 09:34 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was made to buy one by some supernatural force, dunno what it was, but damn glad I did it!! 3 1/2 years, and not a dull moment!

Ron.
Old 27 August 2003, 09:46 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Wink

I had an insurance policy due to pay out (50 years old!).
Girlfriend said "buy a house - rent it out". I had been driving
a works van for 25 YEARS - NO, I'm buying a fast toy; whats fast = SCOOBY!
Three years on - lots of fun, BUT, house would have doubled in price - Scoobys halfed in price
Did I do the right thing - YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Alan
Old 28 August 2003, 12:37 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i got a pay rise and wanted to spend it on summit faster, otherwise i would have just spent the money at the pub
checked out a mates uk and then bought a autotrader

checked out a few prices and specs then found a white 276bhp import and jumped at it, im only 25 so god knows what ill be buying when i do the midlife crisis thing @ 35
tbh i dont think that will effect me cos ive pretty much lived my youth to the ****en max lol
Old 28 August 2003, 08:15 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Cool

The voices made me do it !!
Old 28 August 2003, 08:39 AM
gremlin
Scooby Regular

got my first skoob after passing my test it was a pickup, 11 years and 5 skoobs(3 turbos) and two write off's(not my fault) later i find myself relegated into a leggy on the grounds of the cost of in-sewer-ants, b@stards!
Old 28 August 2003, 08:42 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

....i got fed up with driving around in a white transit and being called a Pikey.
Old 28 August 2003, 08:50 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
It was the fastest practical car for the relatively small amount of cash I paid for it.

Old 28 August 2003, 09:18 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

I am getting my first one next week, after a hell of a lot of research and test driving other cars (GT4 ST205, MR2 Turbo, 200 SX S14a, and a couple of other Scoobs) I decided on my scoob as it was really the best for the money, I love jap cars too. I think the test drive in the one I am buying now did it, MY98 Wagon. Really blew me away with the speed handling etc, (brakes are not great though!). Love the appearance too although my girlfriend doesn't rate it that much, she prefers the likes of the Peugoet 206 (Yuk). Just hope I don't break it as I cannot handle much more debt lol.
Old 28 August 2003, 09:24 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Love the appearance too although my girlfriend doesn't rate it that much, she prefers the likes of the Peugoet 206 "

That's very odd I have a wagon and my girlfriend much prefers the 206's looks- so much she keeps going on about buying one- awful looking things and the rental car 206 I had was appalling.
Old 28 August 2003, 09:31 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gremlin - good on you: 1st person on this site to mention the Scooby pick-up (to my knowledge). This was my 1st exposure to Scoobs on a farm many years ago.

Wife banged on about how good Subarus were from Aus days - and to think I disagreed. My eyes were opened when I drove an Impreza Catalunya at Silverstone in 95? Quietly hankered after one, and finally bought MY97 in 2000. Loved it, but (being a bloke) you always want more - so now have WRX03 PPP.

Considering Scoobynet Therapy offshoot site.
Old 28 August 2003, 09:45 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well like every other poor sod was working my nuts off and getting nothing for it really, then one day whilst i was working, I was in my works van and a drunk driver hit me head on @over 100 mph, as you can imgine my life was turned upside down, been a lover of cars since a small boy and my dad always had fast cars and I wanted one too, I was in and out of hospital for nearly 2 years, finally got paid my the guys insurance company 4 years later in Dec2000, well I was like a kid in a sweet shop, what should I buy I test drove most things including a Volvo T5 3 litre omega etc, but nothing was saying yes thats the one, I had one more operation on my leg and was sitting at home watching some rallying as I have always loved it and the Subaru went bye, and I started to smile and my wife said like that one do we, So after I recovered I started to look around and finally bought my UK Turbo in December 2000, have I looked back!!!!!!!!!!mmm NO CHANCE and I still get the grin factor
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 August 2003, 10:32 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Talking

You lot made me do it!

Thanks!
Old 28 August 2003, 10:37 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Fastest affordable way to transport two yapping terriers.... MY02 WRX wagon.....
Old 28 August 2003, 10:39 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Drove a BMW for years, then in Peterborough, took a wrong turn down a road and passed a Subaru dealer - never knew it was there! Stopped to have a look, took a test drive in one they had for sale just to be able to say I had driven one.....

P/x'ed the BMW the next day...

Steve
Old 28 August 2003, 10:42 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

i was in two minds to buy the car or not, so i arranged a test drive, before i pulled away I already knew that I would buy it. The sound is like nothing else.

oh yeah and the fact that it would scare the ****e out of my gf and any of my mates that bother me for a lift
Old 28 August 2003, 10:55 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I had just given up commuting to work by motorbike and needed a similar buzz, the Impreza was a good alternative, plus I can take the family out on the weekend
Old 28 August 2003, 11:14 AM
SteveLegacy
Scooby Regular

Needed something to move wife, 2 Kids and a BIG...

Also needed it to be Fast and Fun, So went out and found a Leggy GT. World's fastest workhorse!
Old 28 August 2003, 11:46 AM
bluedog
Scooby Newbie

needed something to transport my humungus dog about, but wanted something that handled, so a legacy it was,
Old 28 August 2003, 11:48 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

echo above especially nacro..drove one..had to have one..
Old 28 August 2003, 12:21 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

something to do with the exhaust note and needing a bigger car than a sardine can(corsa)

consider selling it but keep going for a drive and coming back 2 hours later with a grin on my face and saying NO im keeping my sub.

Darren
MY95 Turbo Wagon
Old 28 August 2003, 12:29 PM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

Well my wife saw a yellow Impreza SS and told me to buy it for her. It made sense cos we lived up in the hills and there were many snowy days. I used it a bit and when she left I inherited the car. So I have traded in the SS for a turbo sportwagon cos I needed the hatchback for extra space.

Oh yes and the speed.
Old 28 August 2003, 12:37 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

For me, a boredom with normal cars + a little bit of financial suicide

Also i like the japaneze way of thinking when it comes to engineering.

My next car will be a mazda RX8 or Honda S2200 (when launched)

Simon
Old 28 August 2003, 01:28 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Had to get rid of coopers "s" to make room for grandchildren!
dave
Old 28 August 2003, 01:50 PM
Scoobydb
Scooby Regular

Cool

Drove my mate's RB5 and loved it. That was it from there on. Had to have one. 14 Months so far and still loving it!
Old 28 August 2003, 02:48 PM
hummelsubaru
Scooby Regular

Talking

I saw WRC on the TV when I was 14 years old (22 now), and Subaru was attract me at that time and over and over, it became my ideal car (shy). Luckily, I got my first scooby 7 months ago which is from Jap WRX V2. I did a lot mods on it. Now i thought it is very famous in Luton (haha). That is why i bought it!
Old 28 August 2003, 03:06 PM
mikeDaBike
Scooby Regular

Went out in a mate's Sport in the snow, passed several other cars in the ditch and thought I'd get one instead of my old 5 series; plus 9 points meant something that handled but wasn't too fast was a good idea.

Recent WRX was a logical upgrade now my 9 points have gone

[Edited by mikeDaBike - 8/28/2003 3:06:47 PM]
Old 28 August 2003, 05:18 PM
Brewstaa
Scooby Regular

Bought my STi8 because I could have it the following week, and I could upgrade it to 300 horses and keep my warranty

Love the sound, love the looks in & out
Old 28 August 2003, 05:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

So I could escape....
Old 28 August 2003, 05:34 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

Me dad got one and at first I thought it was a bit slow compared to the Cossie he had previously.

Then I drove it and realised that it was 100 times better

One day, I was driving me lovely Peugeot 405 MI-16 past the Scooby dealer I thought I'd pop in. Thought about a Sport but then test drove a 96 turbo wagon in white, all colour coded with 17" gold alloys...it was so good I bought it there and then

Shame it got smashed to smitherines a year later, but my current WRX is probably a better car even if it doesn't look as nice

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your first Subaru?