Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

North Devon Scooby Owners

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 01:04 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will soon be spending a week in Bideford and I have just found out that the place we are staying in has no car parking (very narrow street). This means I am faced with either leaving the car (STi8) in a distant car park in the town whilst I am not using it or leaving it at home and going in the wife's Polo (the car not the mint).

Does anyone have any views on how safe it would be in Bideford? Am I better leaving it at home or should I just stop being the completely paranoid fool I am turning into?

Mods, I hope this is viewed as the correct forum for this post, please move if not!

[Edited by ScoobyDraven - 8/27/2003 1:05:36 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 01:07 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

You should be fine in most places in Bideford provided you are away from the town centre and football and rugby clubs.

I used to leave my P1 all over N Devon without probs
Old 27 August 2003, 06:04 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Thanks Wilf. I'm not sure where the Rugby or Football clubs are but I believe the car park I'm supposed to use is relatively close to the town centre.
Old 27 August 2003, 08:03 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Bideford is a nice place with not too much riff raff!!
Old 27 August 2003, 10:11 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

I'm moving to Bideford next week!

Looks very safe to me, North Devon is one of the lowest crime areas I was told.
Old 28 August 2003, 07:34 AM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

Where are you staying in Bideford? I was born and bred there but moved away when I was 18, a long time ago, but I might be able to give you some pointers.
Old 28 August 2003, 07:39 AM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Where are you staying in Bideford? I was born and bred there but moved away when I was 18, a long time ago, but I might be able to give you some pointers.
I'm not entirely sure as the wife has sorted it out but I don't think it's too far from a bridge and the back garden of the house backs down to a river.
Old 28 August 2003, 07:49 PM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

Well, there are 2 bridges, the old one and yes, you guessed it, the new one. If you're staying near the new one, known as Torridge Bridge, that's a pretty good area (Durrant Hill) and you'll be fine. If you're staying near the old one (known as Bideford bridge), it sounds like you'll be staying in East-the-water, which is the rougher side of the town so beware. If you can be more specific as to where you're staying I can possibly help a little more but I'm firing blind at the moment!
Old 28 August 2003, 07:53 PM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

Crapaud, where are you moving to?
Old 28 August 2003, 09:51 PM
EvoDraven
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, that'll be me staying in East the Water then. I had made my mind up to take the car before reading your post, now I'm really not sure!
Old 29 August 2003, 04:41 AM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

That's what advice is all about!
Old 29 August 2003, 04:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

While you're there I recommend you hire some mountain bikes and do the "Tarka Trail". Starts at the train station and follows the estuary for a couple of miles and then turns inland. Also, spend a few hours at Clovelly. The village that time forgot. Car park above would be a superb place for a meet. If you're heading further south, try Eden. If you're posh, call in at Rick Steins in Padstow, otherwise I recommend "The Slipway" at Port Isaac. Best fish & chips in the south.

Ooh, and the best bit of all. Enjoy the roads. For this reason alone you must take the STi8. Have fun.
Old 29 August 2003, 05:44 AM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

Smile

I wish to be associated with the remarks of the last speaker. Not a lot of point in having the car if you're scared to drive it, just in case....... No doubt it's insured, just go and have a good time.
Old 29 August 2003, 05:47 AM
Sue Sidal
Scooby Regular

Oh, by the way, don't bother with Westward Ho! it's a dump. Instow has an excellent beach and sand dunes, Saunton, Croyde, Woolacombe all have excellent beaches. Make sure you get a Hockings ice cream, sold from cream coloured vans, there'll be one outside the park in Bideford - best in the world.
Old 29 August 2003, 07:50 AM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Guys, thanks very much for your advice. I do feel a bit pathetic getting so worked up about my car but I can't help myself!

CorradoBoy, thanks for the tip. The Tarka Trail starts close to where we are staying I believe so I'll definately check it out. I'm definately going to Rick Stein's restaraunt and Clovelly is also on the list.

Sue, I've heard talk of the legendary Hockings ice cream so I'll make sure I try some! Like you said, the car is insured and I bought it to drive it so I should just chill out I guess!
Old 29 August 2003, 08:06 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the best restaurant in N Devon at the moment is Decks at Instow you will need to book though. Alternatively get ferry from Instow to Appledore and fish and chips and look at the galleries.

Hoops Inn on main road couple of miles out of Bideford where it narrows is good pub restaurant with decent pub food.

If you want "wacky" and have kids take them to the Gnome Reserve at Putsford. Be warned.

if you like Gardens RHS Rosemoor near torrington is v impressive.

Atlantic Village is about the best shopping in Bideford.

If you want decent driving roads head on over to Exmoor and Porlock.

Edited to say Rick Steins is nice but a bit overrated - but most people realise that before they go.

[Edited by wilf - 8/29/2003 8:07:49 AM]
Old 29 August 2003, 12:56 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Hi Wilf. Thanks for all that info, I'm definately going to have loads to do. I have to be honest though, I didn't think Rick Stein's would be overrated!!!
Old 29 August 2003, 01:34 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

I live in holsworthy near bideford.I dont think ull have any trouble there [although where theres humans theres always a dodgy element who are prepared 2 ruin your pride and joy 2 make themselves feel better about their sh**** lives].
Old 29 August 2003, 02:58 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Good way to do Padstow is to cycle the Camel Trail from Wadebridge (where you can hire bikes). You get to Rock in time for lunch at Steins then over to Rock on the ferry for a quick beer and then cycle back in the afternoon - great day out and no parking hassles in Padstow.
Old 29 August 2003, 03:04 PM
ScoobyDraven
Scooby Regular

Mr Smash, thanks for that and I take your point, there's always someone somewhere that wants to ruin your life!!! It's good to hear that you think I should be OK though.

Wilf, now that sounds like a plan and a half mate! I think I'm going to run out of time to fit this all in!
Old 29 August 2003, 04:44 PM
SHAGGYDOG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm also near Holsworthy, might have seen you around then Mr Smash?

Some good ideas here, if you have kids then Westward Ho! isn't a bad place to keep them occupied if the weather is a bit iffy, amusements etc abound and the beach is huge

Hartland Quay is also worth a visit if you like 'rugged' coastline - there is also a pub there

If you like surfing (or watching) then Bude, Widemouth or Croyde are worth a look if the surfs up!

So many places to see, so little time, you'll just have to come back!