Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What is a classic WRX Type RA???

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 10:12 AM
Falski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I have a uk spec 1999 Impreza Turbo, My mates just bought an imported 1999 WRX, it is a saloon in Sonic Blue, and had blue 555 seats at the front, and a Type RA Sticker on the boot whats does this mean???, it doesn't have a roof scoop, I thought the RA has one????, How much are these cars worth, it is mint.
Old 27 August 2003, 12:24 PM
Falski
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, you are the experts, any ideas?
Old 27 August 2003, 12:42 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

It means Race Altered, which means stripped out of all things useful like ABS, Aircon, electric windows etc. It also has different gear ratios and possibly some light weight panels.
Was designed to be build onto i.e. I want to rally a scoob so give me one with nothing in it.
Old 27 August 2003, 12:50 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Cut and pasted from the excellent Subaru Impreza Drivers Club FAQ

In Japan, home of Subaru Impreza, the standard model is known as the WRX (not to be confused with the Australian WRX). Most of the current 2 and 4 door models produce 280 PS (276 BHP), on Japanese 100 RON super unleaded fuel, and between 240 to 260 lb ft of torque. Acceleration times are close to 5 seconds for the 0-62 sprint, however top speeds are limited by Japanese law to 112 mph. A Japanese gentleman's agreement also prevents any production vehicle producing over 280 PS (276 bhp), hence a number of vehicles quote this as their standard output, but are widely accepted to produce more.. Bypassing the speed limiter and releasing more power from the engine can be simply achieved by certain under bonnet modifications, including changes to the engine management system.

Also available in Japan, are Subaru models modified by Subaru's advanced vehicle division, STi (Subaru Tecnica International). STi are responsible, along with Prodrive in the UK, for creating the WRC cars driven by the likes of Colin McRae and Richard Burns. Over the years, they have produced a number of production models (STi versions 1 to VI), in coupe, saloon and five door format. They have also released a number of limited edition models such as the V-Limited range and the 22B-STi wide bodied Coupe. Specifications for the STi models can include blueprinted engines, with different pistons and crankshaft, closed deck blocks, uprated close ratio gearbox, uprated suspension (i.e. hard!) and brakes, as well as nice toys such as water spray cooling for the intercooler, and driver adjustable differentials. STi engines rev to a 8250 rpm red line whilst the normal Japanese spec WRX's red line at 7500 rpm. Typically, the equipment specification of the Japanese WRX models are higher than that of the standard export models.

The Japanese spec WRX STi is also available as the 2-door coupe "Type R", which has the same equipment as a STi saloon plus driver-controlled diffs, and an intercooler water spray, but no ABS!.

The "Type RA" (Race Altered) is a lighter weight car with some options deleted and deemed the most suitable model in the range as the basis for a rally car. Generally they come without air conditioning, electric windows or radio, but these are available from the options list, and fitted to many road cars. The RA comes with a closed deck block, shorter gearing than standard (150mph at 8,000 rpm!), and rally style vent(s)/flap(s) on the roof.

When imported into the UK, the Japanese specification WRX retail price is approximately 25-100% higher than the standard Impreza Turbo 2000 model, depending on exchange rate, body style and options chosen. More detail on the specification of these cars can be found on the IWOC web site. For more information on importing these desirable cars, see section 8.
Old 27 August 2003, 05:07 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Stripped out unless you buy a Type RA limited and if he has the 555 seats then sound like he may have done just that.

My limited has climate control (with air con), full electric pack, ABS, lower group N gear ratios, blue alcantara seats, blue centre console and blue dash as well as a few ally bits here and there.
Old 27 August 2003, 05:12 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Look anything like this ?

Old 27 August 2003, 06:26 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

And they are fecking quick