Sponsored by:

Allo John, got a new motah ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2000, 12:03 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think it has a lot to do with the look of the car itself, that's what makes the Scooby name as does the performance! I wouldn't even consider a Scooby if it wasn't for the extreme looks! Power isn't everything.

It's different to have someone say the opposite of what most media's say, in a way it does make the car more realistic. Im probably babbling now!

Harj.......
Old 11 May 2000, 11:29 AM
grief
Scooby Regular

There's an interesting (if not factual) article in this month's 'Car' by Alexei Sayle, giving his opinion of a P1 he was lent for a weekend. He wanted to know why the Impreza was a cult car and answers it very well; by realising that he didn't like it very much.

He couldn't see what the fuss was about, other than the fact that it went really fast really quickly. Didn't look like it cost 30k+ and gave the impression that it was travelling faster than it actually was.

His views summarise the car perfectly. Cult, meaning not mainstream, mostly anonymous to the average person in the street, appealing to those who don't care much about image but would like 4wd and respectable performance. This is almost the opposite view of most of the car buyers in the UK.

Nice to see someone being objective by not liking the car, but then not blatantly slagging it off either.
Old 11 May 2000, 11:40 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

True enough, it's a cult car, but hardly anonymous. I prefer a much lower profile - my ideal would be a UK turbo saloon with no rear spoiler or bonnet vent, but the P1 engine/drivetrain. And yes, I know this isn't possible, but I still want it.

Definitely no loud exhaust/tinted rear windows/18 inch wheels/huge WRX stickers ..... I need none of the image, just the performance.

Course, it's each to their own - I just don't like attracting attention, either from other motorists, the police, or the crim fraternity.

Nick

Old 11 May 2000, 11:54 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

Couldn't you get a front mounted I/C, then you could do without the scoop - ultimate 'Q' car.
Chuck
Old 11 May 2000, 01:18 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree with Harj on this,

If it wasnt for the monster looks of the Scooby, it wouldnt have half the apeal. I defy anyone to say they dont like the looks of their scooby.

22B anyone? Or too OTT?