Sponsored by:

P1 at Lucas Mansfield/P1 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2003, 12:40 AM
lockwood77
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reg no. X654 W**

Anyone aware of this car? Know how long it's been there?

Went to test drive it today, very nice although not quite what I expected. It's only done 8k, they're asking £21k at the moment (a bit high even given the mileage, seeing as it's three years old!)

I was surprised that it didn't actually feel that fast. I drive an Integra Type-R, a proper lightweight stripped-out coupe, which is a little noisy and certainly gives plenty of feedback. Evidently the P1 is faster, and of course I felt the turbo pulling as 2000 revs was breached, but it was more refined than I expected (or wanted!)

Also, the driving position is higher than expected (i.e. higher than my ITR) - I really like being down in the car, makes you feel part of it. It's a nice car, but simply not raw enough given it's power and handling. As the P1 is seen as the daddy of "involving" Scoobies, I'm at a bit of a loss now as to what to get for my next car.

Evo's get laughed at by my insurance company (due to being imported, and they don't even touch the VII!), and I can't see much else on the market to match the handling and performance of a P1 at the price. £20k is about what I want to spend, any ideas?

Is it possible that a P1 with only 8k on the clock could be running a little slow due to under-use!?

Would you pay £21k for a three year-old P1!? I will try a nearly-new MY03 STI PPP if at all possible, but from what I read this will be more disappointing than the P1.

My problem is further confounded by the age issue - one year Subaru warranty on the P1, or whatever remains on a nearly-new STI PPP (i.e. about 2 years+) Price probably wouldn't be THAT different to a P1, but it is difficult to call the depreciation - P1s are still pulling about 55-60% of their list price three years on, I can't see a normal STI PPP doing that. On the other hand, assuming two years of P1 ownership, it'll be well out of warranty, five years old and really looking its age style-wise (although of course some prefer that!), so may take a big tumble shortly, esp. as they start to get auctioned/lose warranty status.

Decisions decisions...
Old 23 August 2003, 01:06 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

As the P1 is seen as the daddy of "involving" Scoobies
Erm, where did you get that idea? If you want a "raw, stripped out" driving experience more akin to the Integra, you'd be much better advised looking at an STi 4, 5 or 6 Type R. You're likely to find the new age UK market STi's even less to your liking than the P1, as they're even more refined, and noticeably heavier.

The type R's are lighter than the P1, have the electronic, drive-adjustable centre diff, shorter gearing, and are quite a bit cheaper. You'd be looking at somewhere around £14-£16K for a good recent one.

Downsides are that they'd likely be more expensive to insure than a P1, and must also be run on Optimax/Super Unleaded plus octane booster unless remapped for UK fuel. The short gearing also works against motorway cruising refinemend and fuel economy, although it doesn't sound as though these are big issues for you.
Old 23 August 2003, 01:13 AM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I think its been there about a month or so, well Ive been past a few times over the past month and a P1 has been there over this time so i presume its the same one.
The P1 was the pinicle of the UK clasic shape Imprezas (apart from the hand full of UK 22B's) and as such should hold its value well, I had a look at this car and thought it looked very nice but thought the price was high as it didnt have any of the upgrades like Alcon brakes ect but i didnt realise the milage was so low.
On reflection with such low milage I now think its quite a good price, yes you can get a WRX for the same price but it wont be as involving to drive and when i comes time to sell I bet the P1 will hold its price better.
As for the driving posision, the seats are hight adjustable ...were they set to high ? and im sure a nice exhaust will go along way to make it sound a bit better for you

Get it and enjoy, im sure you wont regret it

Andy
Old 23 August 2003, 08:05 AM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you pay 21k you must be mad its well over the price now days.

If you can get 3-years warrenty and pay 20k thats more like it.

R.B

Old 23 August 2003, 10:04 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

I had a look round it about 8 weeks ago(went to look at an evo 7 they had for sale) IMHO it looks a well used car for 8k on the clock !!! an yer always gunna pay more at a dealer anyway?

[Edited by D Hill 555 - 8/23/2003 10:05:54 PM]
Old 23 August 2003, 11:14 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

It's a nice car, but simply not raw enough
Decision made, it doesn't suit. So why questions about value?
Old 24 August 2003, 12:19 AM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

Isn't the rear spoiler missing?
Old 24 August 2003, 12:58 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
sounds like u need a v4/5/6 type R m8 or a 22B
Old 24 August 2003, 09:47 AM
scottste
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Lockwood 77,
wot your best off doing is going to leicester meet today which Scooby Si has organised. There'll be lots of different cars there, P1s, R types etc.
I bought a P1 on wednesday, mrs has got a problem now... I'm never in its great !! Dont know why you didnt like the P1 like any car you get you can make changes to it, its just about how much you want to spend. Personally I like the driving position, I am gonna make some changes to the exhaust and brakes and take it to a rolling road. Maybe after meeting some more experienced scooby owners today I might have some ideas for other changes too.Good Luck !
Old 24 August 2003, 03:59 PM
lockwood77
Scooby Newbie

D Hill - what made you think it was well used? I'll have a look round it myself again, would be good to know what you spotted.

Banshi - I'm seriously thinking of buying this car because it's about the fastest and yet most practical thing I can afford/insure. I'm disappointed not to have the raw feedback of the Teg, but it looks like the only thing that will build on that experience is an Exige or something (test drove one, lovely but utterly impractical and I'm not keen on something without even a brake servo by way of driver aids!)

I'm having a look at another one at Lion Motors in Sutton-in-Ashfield tomorrow, so I'll at least be able to compare two of what should be the same car.

Problem with a Type R would be (a) insurance, (b) age of the car and (c) warranty (or lack of).

Oh yeah, the P1 at Lucas has had its wing nicked by some ******, but they've got a replacement in.
Old 24 August 2003, 07:44 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

£20,000 for the Y plate at Lion Motor Group, its been there quite a few months now.
Old 26 August 2003, 12:06 AM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

I'll sell you mine for £18500....2 years extended warranty, 30,000 miles, prodrive brakes, defi gauges, scoobysport full system (and original) and is absolutley mint.

07769 502122

Kev
Old 26 August 2003, 09:19 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Lockwood,

I had the same problem as you. The P1 just didn't do it for me.

I ended up buying/importing my STI5 TypeR V-ltd at 23 years old. It came with a full 2 year warranty and I managed to insure it with Tesco for £1800 (not much difference than a P1)
Old 26 August 2003, 10:55 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

get a type-r
Old 26 August 2003, 11:07 AM
JayCole
Scooby Regular

I'm selling my P1 at the minute and think I have decide to get a 2 door type R. They are a lot cheaper than P1's for the same performance IMO.

Mind you I'm not knocking the P1's at all. Think they are great motors and would keep mine if it wasn't for trying to get a place.
Old 26 August 2003, 01:53 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

lockwook77,

i have also had a few comments on how smooth the P1 is, as u say, it is suprisingly refined. like the others suggested, change the exhaust and you will notice, hear a difference.

Old 26 August 2003, 02:38 PM
P 1 TUD
Scooby Regular

8000 miles is virtually new, i reckon 21 is a great price. theres a 51 plate up here with 19000 for 23. id happily pay that for it.
Old 26 August 2003, 04:05 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Do you live local to Lucas's then Lockwood?

I see a Teg parked on my street often. (Sir John Cockle area?)

Had a look round both P1's you mention. Not much to seperate them apart from the milage. I have found Lucas main dealers to offer a first class service though, never had dealings with Lion.

Cheers
Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 8/26/2003 5:29:57 PM]
Old 26 August 2003, 07:27 PM
SHAGGYDOG
Scooby Regular

within an hour of buying my p1 it was getting the standard STI system (too quiet and poorly made imo) replaced with a 3inch V2 cat back system c/o scoobymania ... yes it does transform the car
Old 26 August 2003, 09:54 PM
lockwood77
Scooby Newbie

Well they only went and sold the bloody thing on Saturday! Grr!

I'd come round to the P1, decided to let it into my life, then it goes to another home. Ah well.

Problem is now I can't see myself finding another one with only 8k on the clock. Well done to whoever bought it, I hope you got a good deal (I would've insisted on tax, MOT and 36 month service, plus a grand off the screen price).

To those of you offering to sell me your car - I'm afraid you'll need to offer me p/x on the ITR and finance if you want me to buy it! That (apart from warranty) is why I'm looking at dealers.

I'm in central Nottm, so I doubt it's me you've seen near the John Cockle. My ITR is red, white wheels (probably the only one with that combination in the country!)

What's the deal with warranties on imports then (referring to the Type-R post above)? Are they worth the paper they're written on?
Old 26 August 2003, 10:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

"Type R post"? I count a number of people advising you in this direction!

Situation with warranties depends entirely on the company offering the warranty. Exactly the same situation you'd get with a UK car that was out of manufacturer cover in other words.