Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma time...Sti8?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2003, 01:48 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For openers, sorry if this seems like an endlessly recycled "what's it worth?" type of thread!

I'm seriously tempted by the new Sti8 PPP + plus a few other bits. Dealer's quoting around £29,000.

OK, I can live with that - but can't even consider it without some idea of what I might get for mine. Part exchange is no option - they're offering around £7,000 (in standard form).

So this is what I've got - but what does anyone reckon it's worth, either with modifications or standard, if offered privately?

MY99 turbo wagon (March, T-plate)
58,000 miles
Full SSH, NoT and tax to end of March '04

1) Air con (dealer fitted)
2) Subaru stainless steel rear treadplate (dealer fitted)
3) Subaru moulded rubber side impact protection strips (dealer fitted)
4) Subaru rubber mat set
5) Subaru headlight and fog light carbon effect protectors
6) Link management system + Knocklink, LamdaSensor and 3 port solenoid
7) Scoobysport downpipe and stainless steel backbox (lifetime guarantee)
8) TSL StiV front splitter
9) TSL mesh grill
10) Clear side repeaters
11) "Blue" front indicators
12) Alloy battery cover, fuse cover and alternator cover
13) Graham Goode K&N air induction system
14) Stainless steel "Impreza" treadplates (4)
15) Alloy pedals
16) Kenwood radio/cassette (remote control) and Infinity speakers (front only)
17) Graham Goode quickshift
18) TSL chrome gear surround and leather gaiter
19) Momo "Air" gear ****
20) Tinted windows (5 year guarantee from August 2003)
21) Personalised number plates
22) Eibach lowered race springs (TSL)
23) Prodrive geometry settings (TSL 4 wheel laser alignment)
24) EBC grooved and drilled discs all round, with EBC "green" pads
25) Stainless steel braided brake hoses
26) Stainless steel tax disc holder

I must stress it's never been raced or tracked (I'm far too old for that sort of thing). I've added the mods as I've gone along based on best advice or experience. Just had it's 67,500 mile service today. Only downsides are the front brake pads will need doing in the next few weeks and the tyres (Toyo Proxes TS1s) are down to around 4.5mm. A couple of minor blemishes, but otherwise it's in immaculate condition thanks to the Waz Wizard's initial blast and lots of hard graft on my part thereafter.

For those of you still awake after this long ramble, any thoughts on prices would be useful. I'd prefer to sell it as is and feel it's worth around £11,500-£12,000. Or perhaps £10,000 in standard guise.

Old 19 August 2003, 01:49 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

that's "MoT" as opposed to "NoT"...
Old 19 August 2003, 01:51 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

And I still wouldn't rule out an immaculate P1 if the price is right and I can get decent money for mine.
Old 19 August 2003, 03:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Your spec is similar to my 99my that I sold privately in June except mine had only 25,500 miles. You have a few things more in the "accessories" but Link based mods the same.
My dealer offered me 10k plus a good lump off the PPP on the STi8 I had ordered. I estimate he would have put it on the front for well in excess of 13k. I sold it privately for 11.3k and I reckon the guy got a bargain - and I think he knows it too!
The Glasses guide figure for mine at the time (but with average miles - mine was below) was 8.9k
JohnD

[Edited by JohnD - 8/19/2003 3:40:16 PM]
Old 19 August 2003, 03:37 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Dont bother with the STI8, get yourself a spec C.

I have an STI8 which I love but now I have tasted the spec C i need one.
Old 19 August 2003, 05:11 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Hell's bells - this board moves fast!

Thanks for the info John - very interesting. My local dealer was adamant that Glass's guide was £7K - a bit under, perhaps, but not so far away from yours after allowing for the extra mileage.

I did a quick search on Subaru dealers and found 2 MY99 models for sale, both standard spec. One with 78,000 was going for around £10,500 and the other, with 52,000, was over £11,000.

So maybe mine is only worth, privately, around £9-9.5K. With all the mods (in excess of £5.5K), I might expect £11K?

Any other views? All welcome to help me decide what to do next.
Old 19 August 2003, 05:22 PM
ChrisB

Mods like the Downpipe etc are worthless to a dealer. If you're selling it to a dealer, strip it back to standard and flog the parts on here.

Trending Topics

Old 19 August 2003, 06:32 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi David, long time no see! (And we are only half a mile away!)

I have driven Rum's STi 8 PPP and it is superb. I have also driven Geoff P's Evo 8 FQ 300 recently and it is awesome, but so clinical - our dealer down on the foreshore has a demonstrater so I would advise a drive if you haven't already.
The Spec C is supposed to be amazing as a few people have said so why not contact Ian @ Litchfield Imports.
Maybe catch up soon!

Mossman
Old 19 August 2003, 06:37 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I'm currently in an MY00 and was thinking on the same lines as you and took an STi8 out for a spin yesterday.

Was bitterly dissapointed. Ok, so it wasn't the PPP model, but after then driving the same roads in my own car I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. Ok, so she's fairly modded up, like David's, but I was expecting a lot more from the STi.
And was dissapointed with the amount of Turbo lag... though the boost does STORM through from 4000rpm! I guess the PPP would sort this out with it's claimed 30% rise in torque at 2,500revs, but my car still makes me smile more on the same roads.
Old 19 August 2003, 06:43 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yep - get hold of Iain, for that money you can have a Spec C Ltd, which is quicker than the PPP even in standard form (a little money to get 30bhp extra from the exhaust as well if you want it).

He's also better at trade-ins with upgraded cars!
Old 19 August 2003, 06:53 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

They've offered you exactly book money (Glass's Guide).

£7000 based on 60k

Unfortunately all your nice mods dont mean anything to a dealer

However, i would expect £7000 (book money) PLUS the difference of whatever the car could be discounted by if there was NO p/x.

I would agree with the above, strip the car back to standard, sell the mods on here and then part ex.

Also, i would be curious to know what your getting for £29000, you said plus a few bits? How much are these bits worth?
Old 19 August 2003, 06:56 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

14) Stainless steel "Impreza" treadplates (4)
do you mean the door sill thingies? Where did you get them from? The only ones I ever see say "for 2-door impreza's only"
Never understood why they wouldn't fit in my front door sills thou...
Old 19 August 2003, 07:08 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Mossman! Too bloody right it's been too long given we're within shouting distance. If you ever get together with some of your buddies like last time I'll make sure I don't have to pull out at the last minute. And thanks for the advice. I will investigate.

Boro - I thought I'd start with what I would want in the accesories line to find out what the cost would be. Essentially, I asked for different alloys (without tyres) cos I just don't like gold wheel; quick shift; Sti tread plates; Sti mats; Prodrive sport gear **** and a boost gauge. With fitting, the add ons totalled just over £2,100 (£1,100 for the alloys alone).

They did move a little on the final offer/price. But the best they could come up with was £21,500 + my car. I offered £20,000 and we parted company!
Old 19 August 2003, 07:42 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

I would put the car back to standard and sell the parts seperatly. It's basically £7k with or without the mods. Mods are worth more individually.
Old 19 August 2003, 08:01 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little off topic but - I went alng to Adams (Subaru) today in Aylesbury and drove the STI8 PPP and P1 back to back.

Whilst there I noticed a W plate Turbo, approx 20k on the clock for £14,995 sitting on the forecourt - now that's a lot of dosh but someone may pay it.

The salesman told me the obvious "we won't give you anything like that for yours though!" Mine is a MY00 on an X with 49k.

Old 19 August 2003, 08:23 PM
SiBurt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,sell your car privately and have a look at robport's thread on 'for sale' titled 'Awesome STi8 4 Sale'!

Take it from me mate,this car is as he says 'awesome'Its only covered 4500 miles,so its as new but much,much cheaper!!!

[Edited by SiBurt - 8/19/2003 8:26:48 PM]
Old 19 August 2003, 08:31 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Lots of good advice - I shall investigate!

Darkblueturbo - the stainless steel treadplates (or whatever they're called) came from Revolution in Gateshead. I think they've got a website. Tel 0191 477 0785.

They cost £58.50 + £3.95 for delivery back in January 2001. I won't pretend they're the bees knees, but they do look pretty good - and far better than the plastic strips as standard. Worth the dosh. They say "Impreza".
Old 19 August 2003, 08:34 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

7 Foot - very interesting that you drove an Sti back to back with a P1. I still prefer the classic shape to the new, but it's the fact that it's new that draws me to the Sti. So what did you make of each car in terms of performance, mid-range, handling - and ride!
Old 19 August 2003, 08:35 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

7 Foot - very interesting that you drove an Sti back to back with a P1. I still prefer the classic shape to the new, but it's the fact that it's new that draws me to the Sti. So what did you make of each car in terms of performance, mid-range, handling - and ride!
Old 19 August 2003, 08:37 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. Very interesting. My connection was broken in mid reply to 7 Foot and it was sent twice when I re-connected. Strange.
Old 19 August 2003, 09:17 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I've driven a P1 and STi8 (non-PPP) but almost 12 months apart...

I prefered the P1, I thought the power was more readily available. i.e. it pulled stronger earlier on, which I think is more important in a road car than what it does at 7000rpm.

But the PPp might be different (hopefully), and I might think differently testing them back to back...