Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY03 WRX better than WRX STI ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 10:40 AM
moojy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read an article claiming that the MY03 WRX drove, sounded and handled better than an STI, wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this ?

Doesn't sound quite right.
Old 18 August 2003, 11:25 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

think they might mean MY 03 PPP
And i think the general comments are "more driveable"
see here
www.evo.co.uk
Subaru Impreza WRX PPP

For £1600, Prodrive turns a standard WRX into a 261bhp STi rival

emember when the Impreza Turbo first caught our collective imagination back in the mid-'90s? Part of the appeal, apart from the fact that it was so bruisingly fast and crushingly capable, was that no-one outside our world really knew what it was. It didn't advertise its potency, being content to blend into the traffic - all the better to explode into action when the moment was right. I remember a gunmetal grey Prodrive-tweaked RB5 which was as discreet as it was devastating. Drive one of today's STi models and you feel as conspicuous as a Murciélago pilot, which for some may be part of the appeal. But not for everyone.

If you enjoyed the relatively subtle Imprezas of yore, then you'll probably like this one. Being a five-door it does without the skyscraping wing; being a boggo WRX its bonnet bulge hints at the power within rather than looking extremely pleased to see you. It doesn't even have gold wheels and pink logos, though it does have a bazooka-gauge exhaust tailpipe. And the tailpipe is the clue that this is, in fact, rather more than a regular WRX.

This one packs a 261bhp punch, courtesy of a factory-approved Prodrive performance upgrade, which comprises a reprogrammed ECU and freer-flowing exhaust. That's a whole 40bhp more than the standard WRX; indeed it matches the output of the STi model. On peak torque it actually outdoes the STi, with 257lb ft at 3500rpm compared with the STi's 243 at 4000 (the regular WRX makes do with 221lb ft at 4000rpm). And if you don't like the five-door, you can have it in the traditional four-door saloon, too.

Of course, if you want the 'ultimate' new-generation Impreza with the wings 'n' wheels and more aggressively tuned steering and suspension, it has to be the firebreathing 300bhp STi PPP (see issue 053). But as we've already stated, the standard WRX is in many ways the better all-round steer. Give it an extra 40bhp and it ought to be an absolute belter. This then, on paper at least, looks like a no-brainer. Better drive it though, just to be sure.
First impressions: usual figure-hugging seats, slightly over-sized Momo wheel, neat but unexceptional facia and trim, a bit more menace to the throbbly boxer engine note. Slot the slightly recalcitrant-from-cold five-speed gearchange. The engine feels a touch laggier than the standard unit, which spreads its torque more evenly; when it's blowing hard, this one delivers in more of a rush. But boy, it certainly delivers. You have to go the full STi PPP for the complete take-your-breath-away experience, but this is serious thump-in-the-back performance, and the big-bore exhaust provides a suitably epic soundtrack, from low-rev throb to full-blooded bark when you keep the throttle nailed.

Subaru claims 0-60mph in 4.8sec and 0-100 in 14.1 (we recorded 5.7 and 15.7 for the standard WRX) and neither seems far-fetched. It's the mid-range muscle that really does it. Whatever the gear, it kicks furiously from around 3500rpm and maintains a solid shove to 6000rpm, though from that point it starts to tail off.

The beauty of the chassis is that it feels well able to handle the extra power without ever feeling inert; you never feel there's more grip than handling. The five-door feels subtly different to the saloon; a little softer-edged, a touch more inclined to understeer where the saloon errs more towards neutrality

. A little more body roll, a tad more loading of the chassis; it's not ultimately as sharp as an Evo (or an STi) but it's a friendlier place to be. It allows you to feel your way around the limits of grip.

In the dry you've got to try very hard to get it seriously out of shape. On a track this could be frustrating; on the road it's safe and tremendous fun. The sensation of the car moving around beneath you, erupting out of corners, is totally grin-making. The only real flaw in its dynamic make-up is steering that's just a tad light and lacking in feel, but we're nit-picking.

Our recent group test (053) pitched the latest mega-hatches, Golf R32, Focus RS et al, against the standard WRX. The R32 just pipped the Subaru, but I have a hunch this Prodrive package would turn the tables.

And it's a bit of a steal, too. The conversion costs £1600, which is pretty good value in itself, £ per bhp. Then you remember that the new WRX saloon costs just £19,995 (the five-door is £21,495), which is £1500 less than the old model. In other words, for virtually the same price as last year's Impreza, you can have the very latest model - and have it with a thumping 261bhp. There's life in the old dog yet.

[Edited by mattstant - 8/18/2003 11:34:20 AM]

[Edited by mattstant - 8/18/2003 11:42:49 AM]

[Edited by mattstant - 8/18/2003 11:44:49 AM]
Old 18 August 2003, 11:45 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

ok i give up how do you put paragraphs in quotes it reads fine when i edit it???
Old 18 August 2003, 11:58 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Dunno matt, but I would never argue that a WRX handles better than an STI. The WRX handling is IMHO brilliant but the STI is a league above it.

It's just a bit harsh for everyday family life for me
Old 18 August 2003, 12:01 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

cant agree more Chiark thats why mine hits the road in exactly two weeks time .
I have already sat in it twice (very frustrating)
Even chosen my registration which ends in PP

[Edited by mattstant - 8/18/2003 12:01:29 PM]
Old 18 August 2003, 12:17 PM
Pleo
Scooby Newbie

Cool

moojy...yeah right!

having driven both, I don't think so!

with ppp on the WRX it might come closer to the standard STi8 Jap spec but definitely not better (in my own opinion!)
Old 18 August 2003, 12:27 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

i drove the sti 7 and loved the 6 speed box and shear get up and go
but two things put me off one

1 you may as well put a sign on your back saying kick me or steal me with those hideous wheels and spoiler

2 no 5 door

so with a nice understated presence, 5 doors and a prodrive kit bringing the torque slightly higher than an sti i think i will be more than happy
Old 18 August 2003, 02:31 PM
moojy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, agree with all that's said, it makes sense.

But I also need a 5 door, so it may have to be WRX PPP this time :-(

If only it were possible to transfer the engine and drivetrain from STI saloon to WRX estate...
Old 18 August 2003, 04:24 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Loveley cars, but id don't think it is anywhere near the STI,

but it may be better as an everyday car, but then that is what the STI is over the EVO-8 which is even harsher.

it's what you find more appealing to live with on a day to day basis,

Old 18 August 2003, 05:26 PM
Brewstaa
Scooby Regular

I've lived with my STi8 with PPP for 4 weeks and I prefer it heads and shoulders above my 330Ci BMW

Can't see whats difficult about it to live with, takes a set of golf clubs, 5 people, air-con, beautifully composed on the motorway, 80mph and its as quiet as the beemer

infact I had to force myself to drive to London in the beemer today and leave the Scooby in the garage, as I've clocked up 2,000 miles in 4 weeks and the BMW is on Lease LOL!
Old 18 August 2003, 05:32 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

you must have sport sus on the BM cos the STI-8 PPP + Mods we've got is a bit harsher thw wrx's we've been in
Old 18 August 2003, 07:00 PM
Brewstaa
Scooby Regular

Yes I do have the Sport Pack.