Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Smash Query?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 09:25 AM
Humms
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where to post this (Sorry in advance if it needs moving)

My Nice My00 was remodelled by a lovely lady driving a 306 while my wife was driving it a couple of weeks ago . It was drivable and after phoning the insurance people (Direct Line) and finding out they didn’t have an approved Scooby repairer I took it back to the Dealer to get them to sort it. Its rear looked pretty caved in and after a couple of days the Garage got back to me and told me that there was about 5.5K’s worth of damage including the need to put it on a Jig.

Here’s where my dilemma starts! Lots of people I have been talking to wouldn’t touch a car if it’s been on a Jig. I can understand why, so does this mean that my cars resale value has been hit? Does it mean that really I am going to be well out of pocket when I come to sell it or trade it in i.e. book price V’s price taking into consideration after it has been on a Jig?

Should the Insurance Company be taking this into account? Or is it just a case of them saying “Well We have repaired the car what more do you want!”

Has this happened to anyone else?

And advice or comments would be appreciated.
Old 18 August 2003, 09:30 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

My MY00 was in a knock, front end rather than rear, and was put on a jig as well. As it was not classed as a write off it doesn't appear on the accident register (I believe) so would not appear on a HPI/data check. I got the car back and it drove absolutely fine. I sold the car in December 2002 through a dealer and got a decent price for it, a price that I would expect if it hadn't been in an accident.

Provided the car is repaired correctly and not noticeable, nobody should be any wiser. However, if they ask you if it's been in any accidents, it's your decision to say whether it has or not, and I would always appreciate the honesty of a seller to tell me it had if that was the case.

I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy the car when you get it back, ignore the people who have told you to worry and just get on with it
Old 18 August 2003, 10:09 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

As already stated, it won't be recorded on a register, so provided the repairs are done WELL, it should be OK. I would see how it drives after the repairs. Make sure it's 100% perfect before accepting the work.

I have 2 examples - my father in law's old montego was jigged, and it always wore the front left tyre badly. We never really found out why - all the tracking etc. was repeatedly checked.
I know my Scoob was in a smash before I bought it, and it wears tyres much less than some perfect condition Scoobs, and handles exactly as it's supposed to do! (Even though there's one panel that doesn't fit as well as I'd like...)

Look at it on the positive side - your Scoob will have to be resprayed - try to get a full respray, and laugh at everyone moaning about the normal thin Scoob paint
I know a lot of people are put off by a car that has seen the inside of a body shop, even for having a bumper resprayed! I suppose it's safer for the buyer to do this.
Old 18 August 2003, 10:12 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

if someone asks when you are selling the car you have to tell the truth. If you don't and they find out it has (even by a bodyshop telling them) you can be done for fraud.

Beware
Old 18 August 2003, 10:16 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Hanslow, it wasnt a red mica one was it ??? Mine wasn't registered as being in an accident and yet its clearly had a lot of front-end re-shaping

Andy
Old 18 August 2003, 10:23 AM
Humms
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys its gone someway to making me feel a bit better. The next problem is directline is arguing about what repairs need to be made LOL
Old 18 August 2003, 10:37 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy, no. Mine was a silver MY00. Interested to know what's happened to it now though Went to some farmer apparantly

Must have been the gas discharge driving lights that swung it for him To think it might now have sheep in it (again LOL )

Humms, I was with Privilege (part of Direct Line group company) and their repairers did a good job. Paul at TSL said you'd be hard pushed to notice the repair By all accounts, silver is one of the hardest colours to match as well (so they say).