Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

When selling your Scooby....

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2003, 11:28 AM
slasha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that have sold privately did you let the potential buyer drive your Scooby knowing they wouldn't have fully comp insurance or just take them out for a spin. I could imagine some people could get abit arsy if they've driven some distance to see your car and then you won't let them drive it? Suppose best course of action is to forewarn them on the phone that no fully comp on any car insurance document then no drive? Thoughts/experiences anyone.
Old 17 August 2003, 11:34 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Bought my first scooby and the guy wouldnt let me drive it! pi$$ed me off a bit, but then i thought someone THAT fussy over their car surely must have taken care of it.

2nd scooby i bought, the guy asked me about insurance but i had a traders policy by then, so was better covered.

Personally, it would depend on the potential buyer, some kid outta school (NO WAY!) 30+ year old, id think about it but it certainly wouldnt be a long test drive.
Old 17 August 2003, 11:34 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Talking

Im looking for a scooby at the moment, but wouldn't dream of asking for a spin, i would rather they took me for a blast.
Old 17 August 2003, 12:17 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

one of my mates is selling his scooby in the trader at the moment import wrx with full sti gear on and engine as done poss less then 30k miles wants £5995 for it on a L-Reg in white. selling over

A lad came over from dewsbury yesterday with his family and my mate took them out in it and it had just been valeted it had that stupid back 2 black stuff on the tyres, he it a corner abit too fast and spun the car lucky though there was nothing coming and it just spun into the middle of the road.

Think the lad still bought it but wil have to call him and see.

Darren
Old 17 August 2003, 01:14 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

If a pontential buyers turns up with insurnace to drive it it show sthey are serious otherwise they could just be a test pilot. I wouldnt anyone third party or uninsured drive my car or you might find yourself in court.
Old 17 August 2003, 01:42 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I got our STI privately and called the insurance company,
well the one that gave me the cheapest quote= A-plan before I went to look at the car, I gave them the details and they put me on one of their policies for that weekend just incase I did buy the car, They would not let me pay them anything just incase I did not buy the car!! this is obviuosly something some insurance companies must do to get your buisness and it worked for me!!
I shows that if you are serious about getting a scoob, getting proper cover for a test drive is not such a ball ache and SHOULD be done!!!
No cover no drive!! X
Old 17 August 2003, 01:47 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, looks like my intial feeling of not letting them drive it without full comp insurance should not put them off and weed out any test pilots/time wasters.
Old 17 August 2003, 07:38 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

i dont think i would buy a car with out driving it first

fully comp on another car is not so easy

hard one` suppose you have to make choice at the time
Old 17 August 2003, 08:05 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

There aint no way that someone is driving my car uninsured, potential buyer or not.
If they like it they'll be back with the cover note.
Old 18 August 2003, 06:39 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I test drove my sti when i bought it.. i wasn't insured neighther and errrm i drove it all the way back home too (200 odd miles) ... hmm that was stoopid!

The excitment of finally buying one got the best of me i guess! my first quote for insurance was... £8500!!! finally got it down to £2500. I wouldn't allow anyone to test drive it without insurance. You just dont know what kinda driver the other person is.
Old 18 August 2003, 06:41 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

First scoob bought private didnt go out in it or drive it.
Second from an importer drove it myself.
Current one bought private drove myself...
Old 18 August 2003, 08:09 PM
itsajapthing
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I sell imports for a living(cant get round to parting with subarus though)and on test drive i will drive car unless people have an insurance cert in there hand or give me a cash deposit theres no drive.....

I worked at a main agent and my mate had a woman fly off the road and write off a brand new VR6 the next week he had a guy kick him out of a GTI on test drive needless to say i err on the side of caution as its my money financing car not a big companies.

Ur money ur decision

G