Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Impreza 2000 TURBO(1998) owner! Advice please.....

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2003, 01:58 PM
ceejay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm taking delivery of a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2000 Turbo next week. It's totally standard and my mate I'm buying it off has renewed the Subaru warranty for another year.

I'd appreciate a bit of advice. I was going to put the PPP on after about six months or so, so I could tell the difference, but a Subaru dealer advised me it probably wasn't worth doing to the original.

Can anyone advise me the best way to up the performance a bit. I don't want to keep the appearance failry standard but would like to gradually increase the performace.

Thanks a lot..........

Old 13 August 2003, 01:59 PM
ceejay
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, bit of a typo in the last paragraph!

I DO want to keep the appearance fairly standard!!!

Cheers.
Old 13 August 2003, 02:22 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

well u could chip it and change exhaust, that would give u a healthy hike in performance
Old 13 August 2003, 02:25 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Unless you get the dealer to do the mods it could make it difficult makeing a claim should it go bang
Old 13 August 2003, 04:04 PM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

For a simple mod which sounds & looks great but most insurers don't mind, just change the rear silencer. I've used a Scoobysports back box and it sounds fantastic & lets out the Scooby rumble. Can't remember but I think it felt quicker at the time too. Easy bolt-on job too.
HotRod
Old 14 August 2003, 09:22 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, if you want to keep the warranty you can't do much other than the PPP. If you think you'll be satisfied with the performance gains this brings then do it. You'll then have the option of extending the warranty each year, if you don't make any more mods (and, of course, if you have it serviced by a main dealer).

If you think you could live without the warranty and the expense of main dealer servicing then drive it as is for a year then mod it. For the same price of the PPP you can achieve greater performance gains elsewhere. This will also give you time to do some homework.
Old 14 August 2003, 09:48 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

Might be wrong but i didn't think you could extend the warranty past 5 years old. My MY99 is extended to next July but that's it then as far as Subaru covering it so your warranty should run out this year meaning you don't have to go to the expense of ppp.
Old 14 August 2003, 10:56 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Same point as Slasha - is the warranty extendable after 5 yrs?
My 98 warranty runs out in September - already extended to 5 yrs by last owner after initial 3yr? warranty period.
i would love to extend it beyond 5 yrs at end of warranty, and am not too bothered about keeping up subaur servicing - not too expensive - is it possible to do?
I reckon an aftermarket warranty is what is being talked about here.
Old 14 August 2003, 11:01 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

I have an MY98 that has two years warranty on it, given by the dealer not subaru. Probly what you have.

best mod for the money is a decat and or backbox, and if you search hard enough you may get a prodrive ECU for it..... Took my a couple of months but got one eventually.
Old 14 August 2003, 11:07 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

AIUI PPP is not as marked an improvement for MY98 and previous than for later models, but doubtless one of the more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to keep what's left of a soon-to-be unrenewable warranty you'll have to go the PPP route; but it may well be more worthwhile to research around SN for recommended mods to ECUs and Exhaust for MY98......

Phil