Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

law trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 02:14 AM
fabross
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just earlier cops pulled me for danerous driving,overtaking on double whites,twice and speeding 85,it all ended with them asking for my mobile no. and saying that they dont know if they can overlook this also they were ds not traffic cops i didnt get a ticket or fine so i dont know what to think,first offence too any comments?
Old 12 August 2003, 02:43 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

sounds like you should be ok but keep yer fingers crossed nothing comes thru the post, unless he cautioned you officially at the time "it is my intent to report you for the offences of..." then you should receive a NIP in the post within 14 days (or hopefully not) in the meantime, watch how you go... double white lines a bit of a no-no

owain
Old 12 August 2003, 02:50 AM
fabross
Scooby Regular

well he said he might pass it on but they dont have any camera evidence but being ds asked if i knew any "info" to which i know noyhing about that scence and just told to produce my licence and stuff which i did 30 mins later and nothing was said at the station ,heres hoping
Old 12 August 2003, 07:25 AM
spyr0
Scooby Regular

wtf are drug squad doing pulling for traffic offences?
did they search your car?
re mobile phone - tell em to **** off - they can trace your whereabouts.

i got pulled by unmarked and as far as i am aware there was nothing he could do about me o/t on double whites.......... unless he had the vid i presume... he was pretty pissed at me (i dont blame him) he just threw a wobbly and walked off.
Old 12 August 2003, 08:29 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

You can be reported by officers in unmarked vehicles. I don't know where you lot get this info from ?

Double whites really are there for everyones safety, and usually due to a complete lack of visibility, so overtaking on them is just plain stupid.

ANY police officer doing ANY duties will usually react when seeing this offence as it's just plain dangerous (but I must say I obviously don't know the two instances here - maybe the first double whites on a straight road )

As to the initial post if you were repoted for an offence, you'll more than likely be looking at due care or dangerous, depending on the circumstances.

And they dont "have" to be "traffic cops" nor does it "have" to be on tape, nor do they "have" to have you on measured equipment.

Paul
Old 12 August 2003, 09:09 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

It was a good idea before you got caught so why should it be a problem now you are caught.

You did the crime, pay the fine.
Old 12 August 2003, 09:39 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

medders...you sure about the "any cop can do you" thing......who do they think they are? the police?

ps- if i do a drug deal and get pulled by traffic can i tell them to get lost as they are the wrong "type" of cop?
Old 12 August 2003, 09:45 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I'd agree with your "double white" comments if it wasnt for the fact that the powers that be have started to put them on straight B roads along with hatching thus meaning you can't overtake anyone where it is safe (ie no junctions etc). New policies like this and putting large "blinds" boards, hedges etc on the approach to roundabouts to make people almost come to a halt etc mean that people have less respect for the rules of the road.
Personally if a policeman asked for my mobile number I'd tell him that I'm not looking for a lover or new friend, thank you very much.
Old 12 August 2003, 10:09 AM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

I agree with medder's statement about any cop being able to stop you, I was eventually caught up with by the cops after passing a CID car driving very enthusiasticaly against a 16v golf GTI, I stopped to get some cash out and the golf driver went about his business, the feds got out of the car, gave me a mouthful, quickly searched my car (he didn't like the two golf clubs on the back seat but I had golf ***** to match!), then he searched my boot and made a comment.... "the last time one of these was in front of me it wasted me because it had nitrous" which is the point my stomach got very tense because my car is very recognisable!! He didn't find anything so he radio'd for a panda car to give me a producer
Old 12 August 2003, 10:29 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - yes, just say - "leave my stash man, you is da traffic police - you can't touch me"

If they question you regarding this , just say "it iz true coz i seed it on da interweb"

Old 12 August 2003, 11:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I always thought that any copper can arrest you for any unlawful offence.

You can overtake on the cross hatched areas as long as the line is not solid.

Les
Old 12 August 2003, 11:51 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Bit 'moody' this...... Were the Cops in Uniform and/or in a marked car? If not, did they show ID? Medders'll put me right, no doubt, but my experience of Police is that they wouldn't ask for your mobile 'phone number. Name and Home address, yes. So, if the answer to the first two questions is "no", you should start thinking a bit.....

Phil
Old 12 August 2003, 12:06 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

There is an offense that basically says, driving in a manner that the police feel you need to be nicked for it. As far as the courts are concerned if two police officers stnd up in court and testify its gospel so you need damn good evidence to prove otherwise.

Any policeman even railway police can nick you, however in your case the offense would justify a trip to the magistrates court which would mean alot of hassle for these police, if they are drug squad they may not bother.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:13 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Phil, in my experience you are correct. There is not normally an entry for any phone contact on any tickets. i certaintly wouldn't ask for a phone number when giving a ticket under normal circumstances.

There seems to be a bit more to this than meets the eye however .....

Plain clothes officers should always show ID if practicable as Phil has said.

Paul
Old 12 August 2003, 01:26 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

No blue lights or warrant card, you should've told them to FO

Old 12 August 2003, 01:27 PM
mikeDaBike
Scooby Regular

I thought non-traffic cops can't do you for traffic offences (apart from if they breathalise you, etc) because they're not considered expert witnesses?
Don't they need calibrated speedos, etc, for evidence?

I've been stopped by a panda after speeding and after enduring the same old lecture just been given a producer.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

They wanted his number so they could ring him when they had some gear from a bust probably?

An enterprising pair of cops helping out the community for a small profit. :
Old 12 August 2003, 01:59 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Should have flicked them the bird - screamed "You'll never take me alive copper" and then floored it.

p.s for those too serious = Joke
Old 12 August 2003, 02:15 PM
kicked
Scooby Regular

I just reckon he liked ya car, then he saw you ...and then he liked you more, thats why he asked for your number! Been getting any anonymous naughty text's recently?!?!?!
Old 12 August 2003, 02:19 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

No blue lights or warrant card, you should've told them to FO
Where's it say they never had lights?

Those of you complaining are muppets. What if your car was nicked or you were getting beaten up?

"I'm sorry sir we do not have the right kind of Police available to send out."

I really don't think you'd give a toss then who turned up.

When you do something you know is wrong it's pretty hard to complain when you're caught for it. Half the crime is getting caught.
Old 12 August 2003, 02:49 PM
rickydiver
Scooby Regular

Angry

Fabross why come on here moaning when you are caught doing something stupid! If you overtake on double whites you should be strung up. My girlifriend just lost her best friend to a dik head overtaking on double whites last week so dont come on hear moaning about a possible fine, think of this girl lying in a plot in the ground. White lines are there for a reason someone with a knowledge of that road has decided it requires them who are you to decide they are wrong.
Old 13 August 2003, 12:46 AM
fabross
Scooby Regular

im very sorry to here that ricky but it was double whites on a two mile strait on a main road with just me and the unmarked car travelling and i dont mean to moan just making awareness
Old 13 August 2003, 07:49 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Quote: "it was double whites on a two mile strait on a main road "

This is getting more and more common in the UK. When I return roads I used to know very well have sometimes been ruined/vandalised like this. No junctions, no factory, no farm entrances- nothing. Except half the road taken up with hatching and double white lines for no good reason. That's why people start to disrespect traffic regulations.
Old 13 August 2003, 08:07 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

a two mile strait on a main road with just me and the unmarked car travelling
Who did you overtake? The cop car?

overtaking on double whites,twice and speeding 85
Twice? So they overtook you again on the same lines?

I smell fish.

[Edited by dosenöffner - 8/13/2003 9:09:57 AM]
Old 13 August 2003, 04:19 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Question

Please explain.
Old 13 August 2003, 04:35 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

I've seen the hatchings surrounded with broken white lines on long straight roads. you can overtake on these if its safe. just the ones surrounded by solid whitye lines you can't oovertake on.

double white lines on a long straight road I have not see yet.

sounds like you wuz being an @rse or they wouldn't have bothered stopping you, or else they thought you might be loaded. mobile phone number sounds well iffy though.
Old 13 August 2003, 04:44 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

I was hoping he'd explain why his story doesn't match up.
Old 13 August 2003, 08:45 PM
JRW
Scooby Newbie

Firstly hope a little lesson was learnt re the moody driving!!
Just to put you and everyone else straight on this thread, police officers must be in uniform to knock you off for traffic offences so if they are in plain clothes you are ok. If they were drug squad they have probably got your number to put into their intel system to see if you are some druggie dealing sc..m bag.
Old 14 August 2003, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As I said before,you can overtake on cross hatching if the lines are broken. It says so in the Highway Code.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 8/14/2003 12:16:23 PM]