Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Donington De-Brief

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2000, 08:49 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick note to thank everyone that came to Donno yesterday for making it a top day, definitley one of my best yet!
Met the infamous 'Subie gal' and gave her a ride too (oooohh errr! ).
Finally got to see John's little beast, although we ran in different sessions for most of the day, and when we finally did run together his car had blown it's cat or something (Cossie reliability again! ) so comparisons couldn't be made.
CK1 had a great day on the new Eibach springs and Performance Friction pads which both played a huge part in making the day what it was.
Got some great in-car footage too, including the overtaking of a GT Racing Marcos!!!! (Ok, so it was probably testing, but they all count! ).
Loads of different cars, Porsche GT's, Carrera 4, TVR Speed 6, EVO V, Skylines (two of which blew turbos! ), MX5's, Volvos???, BMW's (that drove typically BMWish! , even a Viper!
In fact, the entire menu tasted wonderful!

The GT teams were there in preparation for tomorrows race, and a racing GT3 also joined the fray a couple of times.
The road going TVR Speed 12 was also in attendance, what a monster!
What happened to the northern lot (Otis et al)? You missed a top day.
Roll on Cadwell!

Stef.
Old 06 May 2000, 09:16 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have it on good authority that the Marcos was running the engine and other components in, and is capable of reaching 160mph down the pit straight when running without the handbrake on
Old 06 May 2000, 09:21 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

just to add to stef's comments. Absolutely fantastic day. I gave as many scoobynet guys a run as i could, all were pushed to one side though when Subie Gal arrived, i managed to give her a 20 lap run at full speed just before my pre-cat melted and blocked the exhaust system. Had a great run with ian cook as passenger chasing a cooking dodge viper for 5 laps, he would pull out about 1 car length on the straights and i would make it back up under braking. He pulled off after that, embarased at a westfield matching him i think.

Stef continues to amaze onlookers with his driving errmmmm style, he's getting quicker every time. Sadly we never got a head to head when my car was healthy but as he was winding me up at the end i went back out with Subie Gal for a few laps to chase stef. We were about evenly matched for pace with my engine down on power by about 50BHP so he is making that scooby fly.

Thanks stef for your "slowing down" lap antics, me and Jamie were in stitches behind you.

For the next run i will have my new de-cated exhaust system in place and 4 pot calipers so i should have reliability and brakes, my brakes were pants, wanting to lock the rears before the fronts on the limit, not a good idea.

Richard had his 22B on track aswell and was going great guns after a few sessions learning the track. The madman even let me drive it for 6 laps, massive honour.

It was a great way to end Jamie and Richard's time in the UK, blasting round donington. How the hell we can top that for their next trip over is beyond me.

PS Stef, told you those 93 compounds are the dogs.
Old 06 May 2000, 10:28 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Smile

My very first Track Day and I was most impressed It was good to meet some of the guys for the first time. Stef was really flying, I am quite pleased as my 1.4 bar machine stayed out all day long with no problems what so ever. I actually stayed out for 50 minutes at 1 time as I was having so much fun power sliding

We got some great camera footage on and off track! Roll-on Cadwell!

Harj......
Old 07 May 2000, 12:08 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep...the day was a good-un.

Great turn out considering it was a non-SIDC event. Car behaved (as always) but my tyres were completely shot by the end of the day.

I really need to take some time with the instructors (RobMac - don't let me out on the track again alone until you've calmed me down) to clean up my driving...and at least have some tread left on the tyres at the end

Good to meet Subie Gal and Richard...our friends from over the pond. I took Subie Gal out for a 10 lap blast...which didn't do a great deal for my brakes The 22b looked as great as alway...nice flares

Akira, Jase, Jay, Mike .T, Chrisp, Walker and the rest of the midland contingent...always good to see you all.

Harj...good to meet you at last...from your big grin I guess you had a great time The flame outs were nice...watch stefs video

Stef...thanks for the AP Brake demo....I MUST upgrade my brakes before I do (yet) another trackday...the stopping power is incredible !!! and best of all there is no apparent fade.

I busy day for me...left donington and went for a quick coffee with the masses. The next part of the day was a trip upto Doncaster to race my R/C Car. I am currently running 10th out of 70 in the league at the moment...or I least I was...smashed front wishbone in 2nd heat...which buggered things up...I put it down the excitement of the day...eventually got back to derby at 1:00am in morning...very sleepy.

See you all at the next one

Ian
Old 07 May 2000, 03:49 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

John, Ian, Jason, Stef et al

Too many new names at once Lots of fun

Thanks John for all your time on track and tuition.. I was starting to get the hang of it, particularly Craners that complex is a real confidence test and I was finding 75% throttle and about 95mph in the left hander by the end of the day.. Not upto John and the Westie or Stef, but getting there..

Now to top it next time... Well I'll have to take you "down the lanes in Wales" in November.. Definitely coming back over for the RAC, errm the Network Q..

See you guys all soon and behave yourselves

Richard

Old 07 May 2000, 10:30 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didn't realise till the end of the day that Stef had his new springs on. Thought it took a little longer than normal to overtake him! (kidding Stef -)
Had the same run in with the Viper as John -
he pulled off after a few laps at the embarassment of a Jap 4 door matching him down the straights.
Those racing Caterhams weren't slow though.

Stef - if you've got footage of me overtaking you, I want it (just in case I never do it again!!)

Great day, spoiled slightly by some muppet not checking his tyres before it was too late.
Old 07 May 2000, 11:30 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great day guys, heres a dozen or so pictures I took.
Old 07 May 2000, 12:49 PM
phill .m.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Us Northerners were there Stef! Otis, his mate John, Mossman, me and wifey and a couple of others who don't post on the BBS.

Unfortunately, we had to leave at 2.30 but not before Ian Gratton gave us both a passenger's eye view of the Donington track....oh dear, what has he started! Thanks very much Ian

By the way Stef, I expect your tax is 'in the post'

Hope to see you at Cadwell.
Old 07 May 2000, 11:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

All,

I had a great day, did lots of laps with Harj (Cheers mate)

Got a few videos uploaded now.

1. Go to
Old 07 May 2000, 11:43 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Smile

Here, here ! What a top day !
Yes we were in attendance Stef ! All 6 of us!

Firstly BIG thanks to Ian G for taking me out in his Scoob. What a smooth driver ! Also a big thanks to a chap called Peter who took me out in his MONSTER Porsche Turbo 4 GT thing. BLimey, used 4th gear all the way round !

It was a pleasure meeting Richard (I left prior to Subie gal turning up - I had to pick up my new kitten !), and also Chris (Akira) and Harj. Great to see Jay, Chrisp and not forgetting John F and his bro and father, and Mike T . A really top day - when is Cadwell please !???
Old 08 May 2000, 12:03 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yep, another great day at Donington, great to see everybody, fantastic atmosphere as usual.
Ian W, sorry I didn't realise you were there?

Interesting (non Scooby) points were

1) Watching 'Rocket' Ron Haslam on his(?) 2 stroke GP bike put in a 1.08 lap! I timed him, from entering the pit straight to leaving the pit straight, was about <B>7 seconds!!!</B>

2) Rob Mac, informed us that the lap record was broken recently <I>(No Stef..... it wasn't you)</I> (YET)!

1995 Tyrell F1 car..... In 57 seconds!!

Mike.
Old 08 May 2000, 01:50 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mossman...

Thanks for referring to me as smooth

RobMac thinks I'm the opposite judging by the state of my tyres

I will return to donington soon to scrape them back off the track

The next time I should be on AP brakes and Slicks !!!! (just have to convince my missus chris that its worth the investment - the hard bit)

Ian
Old 08 May 2000, 04:06 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

The Yorkshire lot were there, in fact you took me out for a few laps when you shamed the TVR into pulling in the pit lane - first time round Donno so many thanks for taking me out!!

When is the next Donnington and Cadwell anybody??
Old 08 May 2000, 07:27 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ian G, Stef, Ian C, John F - and rest of the gang...

thanks again!!

hahahah.... Stef... what a ride!! *giggle* it looked even better from behind tho... LOL!

ok, i'll stop!! seriously!! what a great day and a lifetime worth of memories...

Ian G - u are indeed a very smooth driver!! i woulda been reckless and all over the road... (but that's me... rally style!!) i'd say you handled that track quite well!!

John - fix that Westie!! I'll be back soon begging for another 20 laps!!!

take care guys!!

jamie
Old 08 May 2000, 09:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Ooops! Sorry northern lot, of course you were there. It's the OTIS name that confuses me!
Incidentally, the next day at Cadwell is on Thurs June 1st, so put it in your diary.
I haven't done Cadwell since fitting my AP's.....

Stef.
Old 08 May 2000, 09:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

wey, hey, I have got Jamie begging me for something

Am i a happy chappy
Old 08 May 2000, 10:01 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular