Sponsored by:

new to owning a scoob!

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 05:49 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.
I just bought my first subaru after waiting 7 yrs since i was 17!
I got a wrx import my93, i know its not the best as some of yours but i hope to have advice to make it better!

Whats the best petrol to run on? is a turbo timer worth having and will it work in conjunction with me toad Ai606 cat 1?
Where is the best (and cheapest!) place for mod parts i.e air filters, plugs, leads, down pipe etc?

i would be grateful for any help!!!

Oh yeah and how do i get a manual for it? i.e something like a Haynes or am i asking too much?
Old 15 July 2003, 05:58 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

You need optimax fuel
Turbo timer depends how u drive, if ur gonna drive hard to the last second before getting out then yes. However, ive never had one and just make sure that i dont thrash it to the door. I always have a "normal" drive for the last mile or so. Giving it all time to cool down. Either that or let it run manually for 5mins (or so).

Ill post some links in a while for servicing parts.
Old 15 July 2003, 05:59 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Smile

Welcome to the club

Turbo Timer...

Fancy bit of kit that does the same thing as letting the car tick over for a few minutes after a 'blast'. Some of the better designs do look pretty cool in the car, and have other functions as well.

Fuel...

Optimax as a min on your WRX. Unless it's been re-mapped I'm pretty sure you should use Super with an Octane booster (don't know much about this subject tho ... anyone?)

Parts...

Use this BBS to find the best suppliers. Group buys are a fantastic idea, but I've bought a few bits 2nd hand and had no problems. *** Rememeber cheapest is not always the best! ***

Have fun.

J.
Old 15 July 2003, 06:09 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Smile

nice 1 thx for the advice optimax it will be but dont think i can afford o.booster all the time tho!!!

look forward to the links for parts

thx again!

I have just bought a magnex de-cat pipe to replace the 2nd largercat. i got a straught through pipe with no box in it will i get better performance any idea of bhp or torque increase. it got a hks panel and jap b/box called dunk megaphone?!?!
Old 15 July 2003, 06:19 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert but I think having removed the cats you might well (others can confirm/refute if they think differently) now require Optimax PLUS OB for safe running. A Knocklink device (£130ish) is probably a very good move for safety as it will allow you to see if you start suffering from detonation.
Old 15 July 2003, 06:33 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk

www.jap-innovations.co.uk

www.gradea-subaru.co.uk

www.drmotorsport.co.uk

www.upauto.co.uk

www.townendgarage.co.uk

www.mroscoobystyling.com

www.scoobyworld.co.uk

www.scoobymania.co.uk

www.scoobysport.co.uk

Old 15 July 2003, 06:41 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thx i will luk through those links when i get chance!

what is a good airfilter to buy? so many places tell you so many different 1's. im leaning for a blitz metal silver cone jobbie at the moment bout £180 ish with a direct cold pipe feed to it. will this be a good buy or does any1 have a better solution?

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2003, 08:28 PM
toplad!
Scooby Regular

Hi I read that the Blitz filter although probably the best looking filter offers the worst filtration in test`s. The best one for filtration was the K+N filter. The blitz will probably offer the best air flow. I would rather go for one that has got a good filtration, because dirt could damge internals. First being Turbo impeller then valves. But then again that`s just my opinion
Old 15 July 2003, 08:39 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Hey timmy,..sorry to go of the subject,but as you've been waitin 7 yrs does that make you 24,.......If so how much is your quote of insurance and who with,....as i'm lookin to buy a 93/95 wrx myself,....ohh and how many no c bonus av u got?
Old 15 July 2003, 08:43 PM
scoobydevil1
Scooby Regular

i have a turbo timer in my car does loads of other stuff to look pretty cool at night a blue glow from to foot well .

CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY if you fit a turbo timer some companys won't insure you as they say it makes the imobliser useless.
there are loads of places to get mods from look at the links
Old 18 July 2003, 07:16 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

as for insurance... yep im 24! tesco were the only place that wud touch me for a reasonable quote!! i got 4 yrs protected no claims and you have to have a tracker and at least a cat 2 fitted to the vehicle. i got a tracker monitor and toad ai606 cat 1. got both done through the garage bought the car off. i payed 1400 quid. people say im mad but it worth every penny!!
Old 18 July 2003, 07:25 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

1400 for insurance! got tracker for 420 and toad for 250 plus tracker subscrotion of 99 p.yr
Old 18 July 2003, 07:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Octane booster is cheap enough (inc p+p its around 32 quid from scoobymania for 10 bottles, 1 bottle per tank ) and its cheaper than an engine rebuild
Your first port of call on an MY93 wrx is the ecu, the 240ps wrx's suffered a little (the 240ps equates to 237bhp with 100 ron fuel) so changing it with an MY95/96 ecu (wrx) which is 260ps and doesnt have the bug that the my93/94 ecu has in
(this is for the 4 door only, the 5 door has a smaller turbo and less power so the ecu wont be compatable).
Check with your insurer first though as some dont like mods
Exhausts are next on the cards, cheap and cheerful mod that makes a nicer noise (if a bit louder ) and free's up a little more power

Tony
Old 18 July 2003, 07:53 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

nice 1 thx for that but where and how much for the ecu change?!?!?
it came over with a dunk megaphone bak box and i bought a magnex de cat straight through for it. unfortunately it will have to wait as from the bad greasy roads of last nite i smakd sum1 in the *** so insurance is sortin it out. lukily no 1 hurt just me poor scoob. just had a new clutch too! wot a pain
Old 18 July 2003, 08:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Grade A subaru breakers are your best bet for the ecu (sorry i dont have the number ) and id suspect your brakes need sorting, look for a set of subaru 4 pots, they go for around 300 quid, better than the ones you have on there now

Tony
Old 18 July 2003, 08:09 PM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers tony.
that 300 for new set of 4 pots? wot bout gettin hold of abs or is it not poss?
well gutted bout me car. bonnet bent bumper grill headlites etc and top slam panel pushd towards engine. underneath ok and no leaks. This sound like a rite off? wings and all other of car spot on.