Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Arrgghh!...decisions...EvoV or StiV..anyone in the know?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2000, 05:20 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Happy Easter all...
I have now put my car up for sale and have the undeniably hard task of deciding on my next car. I need to throw this question to those that have experience of the following cars:

STI V v-limited
STI V 4 door
Lancer EVO V.

I have about £20k to spend and have rounded my options down to these. It seems that for my money, these things cars are the best I can buy (it HAS to be either Impreza or Lancer)
Other suggestions are welcome.

Does anyone have any experience on and off track with regards to these motors? I like exclusivity, which is why I dont want to buy a UK model anymore. But at the same time, I think I will miss my UK suspension, I hear these jap versions will have you at the dentist every weekend with their unsuited suspensions. I dont mind investing in Leda, Brembo, Link...etc, but I know I wont need to on the EVO.

So, if it was you, which would you buy?
Cem
Old 21 April 2000, 05:22 PM
Rugmuncher
Scooby Newbie

you know you want the EVO
Old 21 April 2000, 05:50 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Out of those 3 - the v-limited, but would you get a decent STI5 v-ltd for £20k? However if the Evo was a 6, then....?????

Paul Webber (pwebb) has a mint Sti5 4-door in black. I know the car and it really has been looked after, plus has a good set of 'sensible' modifications. See post in 'Private'.
Old 21 April 2000, 06:13 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hi Gary,

Seen the ad...but its black
Old 21 April 2000, 07:07 PM
TR3
Scooby Newbie

Talking

In the same boat as you!...Ruled out the EVO as I drove my mates EVO VI and the ride is very very hard. Test drove a V4 Type R and that seemed to suit me a lot better, as for price...if you check out some previous threads you'll find that a V4 type R should cost 17-18K, and V5 about 20K (2 V.ltd V5's in the latest Top Marques under 20K) A lot also depends on location as southern prices tend to be stronger than northern. If you're prepared to wait a few months you should also see the value of these cars take a dive as the new shape Sti is released in japan!
Old 21 April 2000, 09:16 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Appreciate colour is subjective - but I do like them in Black - has a certain increased stealth, mean appearance and better than White or Red, less common than silver/grey!!! - although blue is still the best option
Old 22 April 2000, 12:18 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Like Cem, I've been thinking about moving on lately (they don't want to fix my engine yet - how did you convince them Cem?) and have been thinking EVO/STi V/V-Limited as well.

Now first off I'l admit that I've not actuially drivn any of them, yet... but I have been putting the cars through my first criteria check, do I fit, do I like the driving environment?

Sti V; well same as I already have, just shorter throw gear shift and more adjustment on the seats (Mine's a '98 - pre adjustable seat base) Suportive seats, peddles a tad close together if wearing boots (size eleven feet) steering wheel bang on, driving position bang on (ie proximity to controls and gear shift) happy with that...

EVO VI; oh dear, hate the dash makes the Scoob's look cutting edge and made from the finest plastic! Seats, hmm Recaros should be good...oh they're not very supportive, my shoulders can move, and they're digging into my thighs...Driving position, can't seem to get it right for me (6ft fairly broad accross the beam ) steering wheel always at the wrong angle, peddles better spaced, BUT my toes are catching on the underside of the dash! And I'm sorry that gear shift is appaling, the throw is too long, too far away and feels like it would be too easy to get lost...don't like it.

OK the EVO may be the bettrer car performance wise, but if I don't like the driving environment I won't enjoy the drive.

Incidentally when I ordered my current UK car back in February '98 it was to replace my ageing Corrado which had the perfect driving environment IMO, and yes with every car I've ever considered I won't drive it unless I like the driving environment first.

Go for the V-Limited it's mad

[This message has been edited by Tim W (edited 22-04-2000).]
Old 23 April 2000, 11:36 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I am completely torn apart between the two, I have equal parties on each side of the fence. I suppose another imprtant issue is resale. Has anyone had or heard of bad experiences when trying to sell imports?
Cem
Old 23 April 2000, 08:08 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

this is the ultimate question what would you buy next. we all know that teh evo is a better car than the sti !!!. some times we just don't like to admit it. this subaru shape is getting pretty old now and i think that we could not get it to handle as good as say an evo5/6. before i get flamed i have a MY99 uk car with link ECU so i think performance wise it would be close to a standard sti. i have driven/been in evo5 and 6 many times (best friends car) on both the track and public roads. the ride is hard but is very suited to the track. I think you should consider what is availble for both cars and what level of modification are you going to be happy with.

for the evo you would not need to:
change the brakes (brembo front/rear)
change goe setting
suspension ( matter of taste)
but you can get
sports ECU £900 fitted allows you to run 22-23psi!!!
full exhaust £500
air filter £200
by now you will be running over 310bhp/310ftlbs. so it is cheaper to get it over 300bhp. bob rawle said that they are developing a link ecu for the EVO5/6 so that is another thing to keep in mind. on the other hand the Evo is Ugly, sounds like a hair drier (oops sorry, i meant a corolla). and they don't have a club like ours ..

sti v ltd grrrrrr. great looking car but needs alot of money spent on it to match the performance of EVO5/6 ( By the way evo5 is even uglier than evo6 , sorry). and the problem is not matter how much you would want to limit your self to mods you would not be able to because there is so much that you can get for the scoobys. a lot more than what you can get for evos.

tell me what you are getting because i am in the same dilema myself. i am not in hurry so i would like to remain loyal to the scoobys. so maybe i will wait and see how is the new shape sti shapes up against the evo before i decide any thing

i hope i have helped.

sam
Old 23 April 2000, 08:52 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem,

Your going to have to drive them, back to back I'm affraid !!!

It is very much down to personal preference, an sod the re-sale, don't go down that investment buying route your doomed if you do.

Try Crowne in Henley, they have evos and sti's of all shapes at the mo (inc a V-limited - new so you won't be able to drive it!) should be open tomorrow (Monday) and IIRCC not too far for you to go...

On my own front, I went down to Alton on Saturday to visit Park Lane, tried out an Sti V Type R for myself. Loved it, awesome combination of ride, handling and performance, found that I could leave it in 5th and just treat it like an Automatic !!!

Problem is though as we have 1000 P1's about to be delivered the market is about to be flooded with used Imprezas so selling mine (98 4 door reddish blue and no A/C) will be impossible unless I let it go for silly money (12k on a trade in ) plus finance rates are at a higher apr (12% typically) than I would go for . Oh well maybe I'll wait for the new one, hopefully that will be as well made and detailed as the Legacy B4s!!!

Incidentally word of caution, I've heard that there are 6 unregistered V-Limited RAs for sale that have been used for track tuition, they are being sold as such, but as they were not registered before being used, when they go to the DVLA they are being given Q plates so be careful of the cheap ones with 6k miles on...
Old 23 April 2000, 09:03 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hey Tim and Sam,

Thanks for the advice. Anyone who is in the same boat as I knows I need it

To be honest, I really dont think I shall cry over performance between the two. They are both sub 5 second 0-60 sprints and both top out at about 150MPH. Now that is MOOORE thank sufficient for me. The only place I am going to REALLY notice a difference is on a track (How many times have you seen an enthusiastic evo5/STiV in real life? Besides, I drive a UK97, any of these cars is gonna be an extra warp factor for me.

Tim puts a good point across for driving environments. I sat in an Evo5 the other day and the interior was ghastly, although the seats were glorious. The Impreza interior is very functional I feel, with added gizmo's such as AC and LSD control thingy.
Suspension is also another consideration. A lot of people have stated the harshness of the EVO setup and living in the centre of London, I am subjected to some terrible road conditions, I may prefer the softer set up of the STI.
Finnaly, looks. The Evo is much more exlusive, but I feel loyal to Subaru.

Arrgghh!!!!!!
Blowdog.....even more confused than before.
Old 23 April 2000, 09:23 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tim

Would the six RA's be ex Palmer Promosport by any cahnce. Phil on the BBS might be able to help as he works there.

Does this mean they have new one's to trash.

Jonathan
Old 23 April 2000, 10:22 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Bingo Jonathan! Didn't want to name names because I couldn't remember who it was exaclty...

BTW you must be slacking not a single rise on the water spray on the splitter topic

Cem, thre isn't really that great a jump between UK and import, it's noticably quicker, but not devistatingly so. The passenger seat is no place to compare the performance, my car seems unbelievably quick when I've been a passenger . Mind you the Type R I drove definately felt quicker than my mates Esprit V8, and I was in the passenger seat of the Esprit
Old 24 April 2000, 11:52 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blow, I'll sell you my STI v3 for 20k then I can go out and by the Yellow Evo V I've got my eye on! - Joking apart I've heard of lengthy waits for parts for Evo's - as long as 8 weeks for simple bits like alternators!

The Evo for me is a real agressive looking motor, quite exclusive, I saw a beaut today going through Romiley (Stockport) Silver Evo 6. The last time I saw an Evo was a week ago.
I see Scoobies everyday!

If I had the dosh (25-30k) I would personally import the EvoZero Fighter!

If you are prepared to go through the ordeal of importing your own, you could pick up a new Evo6 for the low twenty k's

Decisons, decisions, tough isn't it.
Take your time though, don't rush into any hasty decisions. Make sure you are 110% satisfied with what you really want to drive.
At the end of the day the Scooby and it's asscociated culture is hard to beat!

Cheers
H

[This message has been edited by Howie (edited 24-04-2000).]
Old 25 April 2000, 01:04 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cem

There are two dealers near me. One imports and always has Evo's in the other has a brand new, in the box with a ribbon STi VI.
Call me on the mobile and I'll take you there either today or on the weekend and you can arrange some sort of test drive. At least then you get to drive them both and make a decision as to which tweaks your heart strings more.
Later
Old 25 April 2000, 09:11 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comforting advice. Although you have given me your opinions of both cars, I feel you also are having difficulties deciding, as none of you have said which one YOU would buy.

Alas, I feel that I have made my decision.

Its the Evo VI for me. It just looks the dogs bollox. That spoiler, that skirt, those wheels, those brakes, that handling, that suspension, that steering accuracy, that gearchange, that look....

And I havent even driven one yet!

Ian, are you still about tonight? I have had a disaster and have lost ALL my contacts in my phone, so I have not got your number anymore.

Gissa call.
Cem
Old 26 April 2000, 01:37 PM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Cem, you could get that unregistered 3-door cossie that's for sale at the moment. Could go on a W-plate, + at least you'd get a decent car....

greg

Oh yeah, if you HAVE to go for one of these things, do it proper + have 22B!
Old 26 April 2000, 04:56 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have really enjoyed owning my Scooby, but I will be looking for an EVO 6. 1 more month and then purchase a 6 and heavily mod it ie Turbo, Motec, Chassis etc etc. It's nice to be different!!

Harj...
Old 26 April 2000, 05:09 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Also check out the insurance quotes for sti and the EVO...I asked around and quotes for the EVO were much higher. Just a thought....

Old 27 April 2000, 08:12 PM
S600BYY
Scooby Regular

Talking

hello cem marc here.as i said on the phone the evo is the better car i've just got my evo v1 and it's the biz.

[This message has been edited by S600BYY (edited 27-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by S600BYY (edited 27-04-2000).]
Old 27 April 2000, 09:24 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey Marc,

Hope youre happy! You have gone and cost me more money thanks to our conversation on the phone, shame on you.

Definately the car for me m8
Old 28 April 2000, 09:59 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

BlowDog all I know is it's a decision I would like to be making myself you lucky sod

I personally would go for the EVO myself (actually I would have a immaculate RS500 but that's another story) , why not try and get the stripped out RS version I think that would be the one for me. Somehow I don't think that you'll be disappointed either way!!! I think you'll be getting a sore face from all the you'll be doing!

Enjoy
Old 28 April 2000, 10:36 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Blow Dog, I thought you only had 20K to spend?
Old 28 April 2000, 07:22 PM
S600BYY
Scooby Regular

Cool

thats more than enough for a decent evo 4/5 but cem don't buy an rs sprint to do the mileage you said you do coz i think you will find it a bit much.happy hunting:-)

[This message has been edited by S600BYY (edited 28-04-2000).]
Old 28 April 2000, 10:17 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I have found a £20k Evo VI, so my budgest is staying *roughly* the same.
Cem
Old 29 April 2000, 12:59 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem,

Where have you found a 20k Evo6????, the 6's I've looked at are 24K+, pray do tell m8

H
Old 29 April 2000, 10:24 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Ah, now that would be forcing competition upon myself. Also, perhaps we musnt forget that I am one of the worlds best hagglers.
Cem
Old 01 May 2000, 01:06 PM
stuartl
Scooby Newbie

Wink

As above I have X k to spend on a car I have ordered a P1 but.....(sorry not going to start another where are they P1 thread)there is no sign of them anywhere so...I drove an Evo V1...I own a My 99 the Evo was amazing, I bottled out taking it round a roundabout at....something over the legal limit...arrgh...the car's acceleration has to be felt to be believed we had 5 people in it! Also one point I think this car makes good drivers out of bad ..interior ok not the best...but the speed and acceleration mean you are far too focused on keeping your eyes on the road..this car is breathtaking...