Good driving roads between Manchester and Cumbria

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2000, 02:32 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I have reason to go to Cumbria in a couple of weeks time (for an hours work would you believe - isn't IT great) and instead of going via the boring old M6 would like to take some of the better country roads as my route. So as I don't know the area that well I was wondering if any of you out there could give me some good recommendations for a roundabout route from North Manchester to Cumbria and back again.

I'm not sure exactly where it is I'm going in Cumbria just yet, but don't worry about that as I am more than happy to take a detour for some good driving roads so please let me have your recommendations - also anyone know of anywhere good to grab a bite to eat up there - pub lunch type of thing.

Thanks in advance,

tiggers
Old 30 April 2000, 04:42 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

From Lake district are take Hard Knott pass and Rhy nose pass, not fast roads but very scenic and you stand a good chance of ******** your clutch. Lots of drops to the side and steep bits to frighten yourself with! Best to take a passanger to be scared with you.
Tim
Old 30 April 2000, 06:14 PM
Jim
Scooby Newbie

If you can get yourself into the Forest of Bowland, north/west of clithero there are some great roads. Not the most direct, but some stonking drives. Plus Clitheroe has some nice pubs. If you dogleg up to Carnforth there are some interesting bits there too.
Jim
Old 30 April 2000, 06:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Jim,

i can second that suggestion (seeing that i was born and brung up in Clitheroe), and the FofB through to Lancaster is great. I've not been through for a while, but sometimes there are big chunks of road missing where they have fallen into the valleys!

mb

p.s. Oh, and Clitheroe _also_ has a Castle!
Old 30 April 2000, 07:33 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tiggers:
<B>Hi all,

I have reason to go to Cumbria in a couple of weeks time (for an hours work would you believe - isn't IT great) and instead of going via the boring old M6 would like to take some of the better country roads as my route. So as I don't know the area that well I was wondering if any of you out there could give me some good recommendations for a roundabout route from North Manchester to Cumbria and back again.

I'm not sure exactly where it is I'm going in Cumbria just yet, but don't worry about that as I am more than happy to take a detour for some good driving roads so please let me have your recommendations - also anyone know of anywhere good to grab a bite to eat up there - pub lunch type of thing.

Thanks in advance,

tiggers[/quote]

yes take the FoB road, and then the A6 up towards Ambleside, then Hard Knot anfd Rhy Nose, into Eskdale, go down the Eskdale valley towards the coast until you come the "T" junction, with the George IV PH opposite (run by my cousin - best food in West Cumbria), after lunch take the left hand T and go over Ulpha. At the "T" junction where you meet Corney Fell turn right and go over this fell road. At the A595 turn right towards Whitehaven (stop in Ravenglass and buy Cumberland Sausage from the butchers, fantastic!!!), again follow the A595, after 2.5miles turn right SP "Irton" and "Eskdale" go up the S bend hill at the top you are now on Irton Levels 3 miles of dead straight road - brake hard as you reach the avenue of trees and take the left fork. At the T junction turn left and follow the road North to Gosforth. That should keep you going for a while if you want more e-mail me
Old 01 May 2000, 11:23 AM
Jim
Scooby Newbie

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the butchers in Clitheroe: Cowmans. They do bloody fantastic sausages etc and will do any specific cut of meat your into They were taking orders for wild boar when I went last so... if you want to be like Asterix....

Jim
Old 01 May 2000, 09:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Jim,

yup, Cowmans is definitely worth a visit - especially if you are planning a barbeque. They have more kinds of sausage than you can shake a sausage detecting stick at! And if you need to wash things down afterwards, there is always Byrne's wine shop - a truly remarkable place to buy your plonk. To help get your bearings there are a few pictures at: