Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non standard wheels on Foresters

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 11:40 PM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all of those purchasing a Forester, and thinking of fitting different wheels to the standard ones fitted.

I purchased one of the last of the old style Forester Turbos, cracking motor, flys along and scares other off roaders 5h1*less, however a cautionary tale for those contemplating buying one and fitting 17 inch rims rather than retaining the standard 16inch rims. I had fitted on the vehicle from new a set of 17 inch alloys as fitted to the Impreza WRX with 215 Pirelli P Zero rubber attached, (Standard Subaru parts). 7500 miles down the line the 2 front tyres are bald on the inside edge, on the way to the wires.

Back to the dealer we go "Yeh can happen with these do you chuck it around or what?" Actually I drive the car quite sensibly with not too much in the way of loutish boy racer behaviour, (at 48 you get to know better). The dealer resets the front geometry, when I ask about replacing the prematurely worn tyres I was advised that neither the readjustment nor the tyres are warranty items, so I will have to pick up the tab.

Hold it, the car has never been kerbed (rims are in perfect nick) so the geometry must have been set wrong, no geometry has been set to manufactures recommendations.

I write to Subaru to argue my point, their reply -
" Although the rims fitted by the dealer from new, are standard Subaru items, they are OUT OF SPEC for this vehicle, the maximum size permitted being 16" rims. The geometry settings now on the vehicle are also OUT OF SPEC to compensate for over size wheels producing excessive wear, and therefore neither can be covered by the Subaru vehicle warranty, you need to negotiate with your dealer"

Back to the dealer, and although they admit that they should perhaps in hind sight have set the geometry out of spec originally they will only negotiate a discount on my behalf at the local tyre supplier, although they say that the tyres will definitely not wear out so quickly in future.

Other purchasers beware mixing and matching standard manufacturer supplied parts may void the warranty on your new vehicle, watch this space.