Sponsored by:

Driving to France

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 06:08 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I am going on holiday to France in my Scoob (Royan near La Rochelle / Bordeaux). If you've done it yourself and have a word of advice please let me know.

I am particularly interested in:

1. Best and cheapest way to cross the channel (thinking of Eurotunnel, 2 cheap day return tickets )

2. Best roads

3. Speed limits, police, etc...

Plus any general advice.

Many thanks!
Old 14 July 2003, 06:18 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Plus any general advice
Drive on the right...
Old 14 July 2003, 06:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

This one has been done to death over the last 6 months, but here goes:
Be VERY careful with the "two cheap day return tickets" thing. Those sorts of tickets are sold only by credit/debit card, and they reserve the right to hold onto your details, and if you don't use one or the other, they'll charge you full return fare.

Try the P&O bucket shop, can't remember the addy offhand, but someone on here will.

Make sure you take your license, logbook, insurance, and carry them with you at all times you're driving. It's an offence not to.

You also need a spare bulb kit, headlamp adjusters, a warning triangle, and DON'T take your radar/laser detector, they're illegal in France.

Get some good maps, I recommend Michelin, the one of France at large scale for route planning, and the motoring atlas fo France for finding your way/enjoying yourself when you're there
Aslo try www.mappy.com for an itinerary, and details of tolls.

The French police are always active on tourist routes, in holiday season, with speed traps, and they're honest about it generating revenue, so beware. Where the limit changes, motorway exits with limits, motorway tunnels, long straight stretches, you name it, they could be there. If you get flashed by oncoming traffic, obey ALL limits for the next 10 miles or so, or until you spot the trap:

Once you've got a route, you can go onto the French chain hotel's website, and reserve rooms in advance if you want. I do it, to avoid disappointment when I've done a fair few miles!
Campanile, Ibis, Climat all have good rooms at about £30 the night per room ,and decent restaurants with good grub from £5 to £15, and if you can eat the £15 one, you're a gannet:

If you want to experience France and not just motorway, try the Bison Fute site which lists loads of alternate routes. These are well signed as "Route Bis" and easy to follow.

98 octane fuel is available almost every garage, even the little supermarket ones at about €0.95 per litre, and on the motorways at about €1.12 per litre.

When on main roads, the signs point AT the road, not down it. this can be disconcerting in towns, but you'll soon get used to it.

DO stop at stop signs, don't just give way. The French police are blitzing this as I write, and will relieve you of €90 for failing to comply:

In towns, SOME side roads from the right have priority. Be VERY careful, check for them having "give way" lines, and if they haven't, expect them to expect you to give way!
On main roads, a Yellow diamond tells you that you have priority.
At roundabouts, be wary: the rules have changed over the last few years, and traffic ON the roundabout now has priority, like here, (except going round the wrong way. This DOES NOT stop the French from going straight onto the roundabout, and expecting you to give way. Even though they get reminded: "Vous n'avez pas la priorite"!

I've done the journey you detail, both by motorway, and main road: it's not bad either way. Enjoy the French roads. empty compared to ours, and excellently layed out.
On the way down, try to avoid Paris. I'd go for A16 to Abbeville, A28 to Rouen, then A154 south until you can pick up the N10. this last assumes a Dover-Calais crossing.
If I can help any more, e-mail me, or post again.
Alcazar

Edited to say: expect your Scoob to get loads of the right kind of attention, but do beware of the wrong kind too. Things on show in the car, not left locked etc, are all no-no's there just like here!

[Edited by alcazar - 7/14/2003 6:49:01 PM]
Old 14 July 2003, 06:59 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Smile

1. Best and cheapest way to cross the channel (thinking of Eurotunnel, 2 cheap day return tickets )

This won't work. Eurotunnel is probably the cheapest / fastest and easiest way of getting accross, but if you don't complete the return of your cheap day return then they'll charge you for a single, so you'll spend more money than if you had booked the proper ticket in the first place.
Join the eurotunnel plus club, if you intend to make frequent trips if will save you a percentage on each booking.

2. Best roads
Anything is better than an English road.

3. Speed limits, police, etc...
Autoroute limits are normally 130KMPH/80MPH, but most traffic cruises at 90+. Watch out for blue vans and cars (gendarmerie).

Plus any general advice.
Carry a wad of euro readies incase you need to pay a speeding fine.

When paying for petrol, do not say: "El pumpo numero four".
Nice mix of four languages from the multilingual Jiggerpokery. Strangely, the attendant understood that.

Have a nice holiday!
Old 14 July 2003, 10:06 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Came back from this area a few weeks ago. Visit the zoo at La Palmyre (5 mins from Royan), best I've been to. Travelling from Royan to La Palmyre approx. 1km before zoo is parking for excellent beach (not too far to work if you have kids) For a rainy day Aquarium at la Rochelle is OK, lovely city. Luna park should be open by now, excellent rides I hear. Feeling energetic? climb the steps of the Phare de la Coubre, 350 steps to the top of a lighthouse where you can see the whole region.

Roads are tip top, do a route on http://www.viamichelin.com 98 ron available everywhere. We did the seacat Poole - Cherbourge. 2hours 15 mins and smooth. Drove at my own speed most of the time in our Sti7, however got caught speeding coming back into Cherbourg, that's the only time I saw a Gendarme on the roads.

Mike
Old 15 July 2003, 04:08 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Trip cancelled

Thanks for the info anyway. Hopefully will get a chance to use it some time in the near future.