Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 06:03 PM
jmgelba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive found my self in a interesting situation. A friend of a friend of mine bought a brand new STI 2.5 (im in the US) drove it off the fore court, straight into the path of an 18 wheeler. Delivery miles only on this thing. Well, he bought the car from the insurance company, it was written off, and through my friend, has asked me if i would like they engine and tranny.
Heres the dilemma, i wanted to fit my 02 wagon with either JDM or British engine and tranny. I was going to post a thread asking which version car to find for the donnor parts. Im not sure on this 2.5 becuase, although its brand new, local to me and very very cheap, its been discoverd that the 2.5 engine has major major problems with detonation, to the point that people have reported that the car has been cutting out to prevent damage.

So, im looking for opinons. Find a JDM or UK donnor driveline, or get the 2.5 and wait until there is a det fix?

Help me out guys!!

JMG
Old 14 July 2003, 07:48 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

IL be honest with you that i dont know anything about the 2.5,
but surely couldnt the det problem be sorted with an electronic fix of some sort?
It seems like a hell of a lot of engine, not to be able to use just because of det.
How about banging a front mount intercooler on it then getting it re-mapped to suit!
Old 14 July 2003, 08:23 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

On the same lines as above, it seems a shame to not use the engine for what should surely be an easy fix?

How about fitting a custom / programeable (sp?) management system or summat?

Something else to consider, where was the car hit and just how badly? I've seen lumps smashed off engines before The "tranny" could also have taken a nasty blow! I'd deffo have a good look over the parts before you buy

Good luck, let us know the outcome
Old 14 July 2003, 09:37 PM
jmgelba
Scooby Regular

The engine managment system to have over here is the UTEC by TurboXS, it isnt quite ready for the 2.5 yet. Some people have had a limited amount of sucess with water injection, but there is still knocking evident.
The car was hit hard just behind the rear door and literally swiped off the boot area. Aparently the force was so strong that it spun the car around, across the street and into a wall on the other side of the road and flattend the whole of that side of the car.
I havent seen the car yet, probablly tonight after work, but from what my friend says, the front end is fine, the transmission area, or centre of the car is buckled a little bit, and obviously, the rear diff is err, well, elsewhere. My friend reckons the worse that could have happened to the tranny is the rear shaft to the diff was pulled out at angle.
Its worth a look at $3000 for ecu, engine and tranny and front shafts and hubs/brakes though. $5000 if i want the whole car.
But im still hankering for real jap performance, maybe a type RA?

Oh incedentally, i found out that this 2.5 engine was develpoed in conjunction with GM and might be going into several Saab products too, possibly Saabs first 4x4 which is due in 3 years.