Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sticker type number plates.

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2000, 08:57 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the interests of being different and to let some more nice cold air into the engine, i want to ditch the number plate from my sti5 and get one of those stick on ones, any ideas where i can get one from ?
Old 21 April 2000, 09:21 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Smile

All you will need to know is back on the 14/4/00 General Questionsas I posted the same question "number plate" .

Still not sure what i will do,its not any good on the bonnet as your sure to get nicked and the bumper on the V5 i own like yours doesn't stick out as far as the v4 and v3 since they we have a newer front grill around the badge I believe.

Although there are a few suggestions on smaller plates including a down load for the legal measurements of the smallest plate you can use.

Hope it helps....Ian Sutton.
Old 24 April 2000, 10:25 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Hmm i've read the previous posts, but have today seen a nissan skyline running a sticker plate, plus it also appears to be a dealer accessory to any Dodge viper (saw a showroom in hove area with three with stick on plates !!)

So i'm gonna go for it, as long as i don't wind any nice police people too much they'll probably turn a blind eye to it (though if i get stopped by a moody one, it will just be another excuse to do me).

All i have to do now is find where to get one..................
Old 24 April 2000, 10:31 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

I have been running a stick-on plate (bonnet) for a while now.. as have a few other owners...

The plate is a standard size with standard letters.. the police dont seem to mind..

I think the police tend to pull people who are trying to take the ****.. fancy letters.. small plates... etc..

Cheers,

J.
Old 24 April 2000, 11:00 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi all. Ive been running with a stick on number plate for a few weeks located on the lower lip spoiler. It's almost full size and is standard lettering and in my opinion and many others easy to see/read. Not the case with hertfordshire police today who said it was virtually impossible to read and obscured. Anyway £20 fine and a producer was the result. just a word of warning should you be in two minds as to make the change.
Alex
Old 25 April 2000, 05:06 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Had my number plate on lip spoiler for about 2 mths now and not a sniff from the boys in blue, DOH! Ill probably get a pull now.
Paul
Old 25 April 2000, 05:09 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Is that the bit just above the radiator and below the front grill ??

If so what MY is it as mines a MY 99 the gap doesn't look wide deep enough??

...Ian.
Old 25 April 2000, 05:29 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Ian
Its on the front of the air intake, so its below where the normal number plate is positioned, on the top of the curved plastic bit(sorry not too technical). It is a bit obscurred because it lyes very flat but as i said before, no trouble yet( ive definately done it now!)
Regards
Paul
Old 25 April 2000, 06:07 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

No front number plate for about 5 months
Old 25 April 2000, 09:07 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Right, for those wishing to go through with this 'mod' you can buy the legal sized letters at les smith auto shops as they stock them for trailers etc.

What they don't do is the sticky white backing, might have to get that made from a gfx company.
In fact i wonder if a gfx company could do the whole thing............hhhhhhhmmmmmmm................

I thought the lower edge of the spoiler would be an instant pull, i was thinking of going for the edge of the bonnet above the grill, and if it means it stops the vast collection of stonechips growing then it gets better the longer i think about it !

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 25-04-2000).]
Old 26 April 2000, 12:08 PM
PEELY
Scooby Regular

Why not try 'AUTOREG' in Blackburn Lancs.
01254 663213. They advertise in most bike mags. and can do number plates in any size you want. They have the standard legal font on computer and can resize it to what ever size you want along with the sticky backings
front or rear.
Old 26 April 2000, 02:44 PM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Cool

I've had one on the edge of my bonnet for 10 months now and have had no complaints so far.
I've even cut it down a bit as reg is short (username).

I got it from a car accessory shop selling trailer stuff. Can't remember how much £10 ?

Looks OK, stops the odd stone which can't be that bad.

ady

Old 26 April 2000, 02:50 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

Yes but what happens when plod do ask you to remove and replace with the original , will you lose any paint or will it be okay??

...Ian
Old 26 April 2000, 02:55 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Don't see the point of removing the number plate to be honest as the STi 5 has got a mounting face which is about the size of a very small number plate (like 10" x 3") behind it. You're not really going to allow much more air in at all. My reg number is only 5 characters so I just bought a new plate and hacksawed the extra white bit of the plate off (I kept the original in case I got pulled). That was months ago and I've had no trouble because the letters are the right height and spacing. It does look better though just because there's not so much extra white space around the outside.
Old 26 April 2000, 03:20 PM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you did get pulled, then use a hairdryer to warm it up whilst peeling it off.

Shouldn't have a problem then.

I mean i've seen e-type jags, xk8's, vipers, mg's etc. all with bonnet plates.

As long as you don't distort the reg and use the correct spacing, size letters, and it is visible whats the problem?

But if you are worried about being pulled, leave it as it is, simple.

ady
Old 29 April 2000, 10:47 PM
Greg Small
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used to have just the black lettering positioned on the lower lip of the bumper but got pulled a couple of times cos i never had a reflective backing.( The car is white)
Since then I got a sticky reflective backing from the local car acsessory shop and made up a new one, fitted in the same position and have had no bether since.
The car even passed it`s MOT with it.
The tester said that as long as it was clearly visable and the spacing/letter font was ok then he had no probs with it.
One tip though,polish the area where you deside to put it and dont remove all of the backing. I only removed about 20mm of backing and left the rest, incase I desided to remove it later on.
Cheers Greg..