Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do' and dont's for a new owner...

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 01:34 PM
pjmc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive just bought mesel a V plate turbo (standard brit) and ive heard that i should just run it on super-unleaded and not to wellie it until warmed up and such like.. i was just wondering if any of this is true and if there is anything else i should be aware of and should start doing... as you may tell im a bit of a n00b when it comes to turbo ownership so any tips will be gratefully accepted...

Cheers Paul.
Old 08 July 2003, 01:38 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Run it on either SUL or Optimax. Warm her up before booting it and always always cool her down for 1-2 mins after a long blast.

Always, always wave to other scoob drivers- you will be surprised how many reciprocate!

Welcome to the club!

G
Old 08 July 2003, 01:42 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

yeah 2nd that, if youve had a spirited run on your own Private road (like the A71) let car run on idle for a few mins to allow the turbo bearings too cool down before you switch off.

Old 08 July 2003, 01:49 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Warm it up fully before going full boost - don't use the water temp as a guide, the water may be up to temp but the oil takes longer - 15 mins of normal driving as a rough guide.

Warm her down too. After long periods of high speed driving or a country lane blast, drive the last 2-3 miles off boost and then let her idle for a few mins before turning the engine off. this allows the oil to take the heat out of the turbo area - notably the turbo bearings. failure to do this results in the red hot bearings burning the stationary oil, leaving deposits that will knacker the bearing - result is turbo stripdown. Prime time to forget about this is pulling into a motorway services to get petrol in a rush.

Lift off oversteer. be aware if you're not used to driving AWD near the limit.

Servicing. take it to a garage that are experienced in servicing Imprezas. In particular a simple oil change if done incorrectly may lead to a very expensive bill.

Try not to smile too much after driving your new purchase, people may think you're up to something!!

Enjoy, surf this BBS and use the search function to find loads of info on here

Welcome
Old 08 July 2003, 02:02 PM
pjmc
Scooby Regular

Smile

thanks lads ...will try to remember all this but ive exerienced the 'wave' phenomenon before after i just bought my 5 door sport ..i waved back ofcourse but i just put it down to him mistaking me for someone else but now im enlightened..
Old 08 July 2003, 04:30 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

have agree with all the above , i fitted a turbo timer to do the run down thing for me , ask your insurance company if you will be covered if you fit one ,some don't like them.
the wave is very important as is comming to meets posted on here.
not only have you got a new car you have loads of new mates.
welcome
Old 08 July 2003, 05:08 PM
ianfergus0n
Scooby Regular

Talking

Remember.... NEVER walk to the shops to get your Sunday papers, ALWAYS go in the scoob, the journey should take about 2hours and a tank full of SUL

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2003, 05:19 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

ianferguson. you are a man after my own heart!
Old 08 July 2003, 05:51 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Dam' right.

I went to Tesco's yesterday for some pizza.
My housemate called my mobile 2 hours later to find out where the hell I was/if I was dead in a ditch/where his bloody pizza was...
Old 08 July 2003, 06:08 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Talking

Open a second bank account. Arrange for all future payrises to go into it. Do not tell the Mrs about it. Use it to buy all the stuff you will want/need VERY soon!

I have had my MY99 8 months. So far all the mods and running costs have cost me nearly £9000........ good luck!
Old 08 July 2003, 09:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Smile

1.Get used to the **** brakes(all of them have not very effective brakes)on a very fast car.Buy a snooper before you get done for speeding(normal time span-first 6 months!).
2.Don't go crazy about any engine mods etc except for the exhaust to begin with.Do a lot of thinking and research and,take the scoob to right people to get the mods done if you really want to.Standard car is fast and good enough as it is.
3.Don't go mad on Ebay bidding for scooby crap.It's not worth it.
Wave/thumb-up to every other scooby owner while driving.Got it?
Congratulations on buying a scoob!Join the GANG!!
Old 08 July 2003, 10:06 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

welcome fellow 99er

did you get a flake with yours?

just take the time to get to know your car and treat it with a little respect now and again... the fast bit will come with time, dont be in a hurry to outgrow your new car just yet. relationships that stand the test of time take time to forge.lol

Ive had mine 6 weeks and Im trying for a new exhaust soon!!
They said it would happen

do the warm up/down thing everytime.

park away from the crowd at supermarkets. avaoid babyseated mondeos like the fuggin plague.

wave, always.

save

save a bit more

most of all, enjoy it, youve clearly worked hard to become a member of a fairly exclusive community.

ignore all the posts that go on about *whats happened to scooby prices/image* let their vanity be there loss.

wear a baseball hat if you want (although on second thoughts).

dont get wound up by PSLEWIS and his posts (its all in good humour).

you just missed Mycroft so I wont bother there.

smile.

go and check the window to see its still there now. it will be, but when you get there you will smile all over again.

go on, and on, and on, and on about how great they are to your mates.

ignore the muppets who say that their focusRS (he hee he hee), civic, nova, astra etc etc is quicker than yours in a straight line to 12mph, they are wrong generally, besides you can always always come back with the classic *but on the twisties* line.

check the window again and smile

Andy..... clasic DGM MY99 uk turbo, still smiling (and checking the window).
Old 08 July 2003, 11:32 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

so its not just me then?....only had my scoob a few days, and wake up at the slightest sound!

Don't 'spose that'll ever change eh?
Old 09 July 2003, 05:29 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Turbohot, which brakes do you have on your car? The four-pot fronts may not be track day candidates, but put some decent pads in 'em and they're more than up for stopping a roadcar.

Don't forget you get the same brakes on a Group N rallycar, and they seem to stop alright
Old 09 July 2003, 07:47 AM
PeteD
Scooby Regular

Had my classic for nearly a month now and it still makes me smile and look back when I park up and walk off Just bought a turbo timer that will be fitted by the weekend, next will be a dump valve (but thats a different can of worms!!)
Old 09 July 2003, 08:19 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ive had mine 5 days, ex PaulEDS wagon, still love to start her up! The magnex burbles like a goodun, and the dump valve is fun to release as ya get passed an unsupspecting cyclist (hehe) These
cars are just as fun driving slowly, so sit back, chill out, and get a Magnex, it's well worth it.
PS. Not had a full nights sleep since I got her. I check on the car more than my daughter ;o)
Old 09 July 2003, 08:29 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Couldnt agree more with EVERYONE here - had MY93 WRX for 3 weeks and the mod bug has taken hold bigtime. P1 dash going in as the original is fuggin ugly, then 4 or 6 pot Brembo's (see Brembo group buy) then turbo timer (Friday), Apexi S-afc (Friday too) and then dvd + 2 TFT's for the kids (long journeys etc). Luckily already has full decat, 17" 10 spokes STI6 rear spolier, STI4 front spolier, STI2000 interior blah, blah, blah
Old 09 July 2003, 08:59 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Andy - that was a brilliant post ...made me smile ...and check the window

Welcome to the club Enjoy!
Old 09 July 2003, 09:33 AM
Scoobydb
Scooby Regular

Its amazing to think that there are so many people who go through the same highs about scooby ownership as i do! I have had my MY99 for just over a year now and I still love it more than life itself. I have spent loads on mods and it is looking so much better than the day I bought it.

I look for any excuse to go out in it even after a year!

Old 09 July 2003, 05:45 PM
pjmc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers lads, i can see what you mean about looking at it all the time ..last night i saw a car in my cul-desac that i didnt recognise so i had to go and move the new-un infront of my sport and mazda in the driveway just incase.... para or what..?? anyhoo i took it a wee run today told the missus i would be back in a 'wee while' ended up at loch lomond..!! and did a 160mile trip.. so much for taking it easy
oh and i nearly forgot to let her cool down i had to restart her just b4 i jumped out the seat..
Old 09 July 2003, 05:48 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

When you start a thread on here always add e-mail notification so thats you know when you get a reply. (always post in muppets to say which threads you are subscribed to as well..)
Old 09 July 2003, 05:58 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

always wave at other impreza owners too..!!

Dan
Old 09 July 2003, 06:56 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

all of you, go and check the window...
Old 09 July 2003, 09:14 PM
wrightysti7
Scooby Regular

Had my sti7 for 7 weeks now bought my wife a car so she stays out of it and myself a van for work so at the weekends i drive the scoob, why is it these cars make you smile so much ?congrats for geting your scoob and enjoy it.
Old 09 July 2003, 09:23 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

scoooobydooooby doo
Old 10 July 2003, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Great post Andy, every word is making us all look at ourselves now!

Les