dump valves ?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2003, 10:45 PM
mickjg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

people keep telling me to have dump valves them fitted
being new to all this wot will they do? and how will it change the car? and at wot sort of cost are they?
mickjg
Old 05 July 2003, 11:09 PM
k9any
Scooby Regular

Do a search for dump valves i'm sure you will find plenty information.

Regards

Ray
Old 05 July 2003, 11:33 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

but in brief VTA (vent to atmosphere) dumpvalves make a nice pssshhhhhht sound when you come off the gas pedal, no real performance gain but is fun scaring small children & grannies & does mean the turbo will keep spinning, unlike with the standard recirc dumpvalve, which reduces turbo lag but marginally increases fuel bill. Horses for courses really i personally luv the noise they make kuz i'm a big kid
Si
Old 05 July 2003, 11:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

A total irritation with little perfromance benifits, when fitted on their own. Proves you took yor foot off the trottle.

A turbo has own already fitted but dumps back into induction manifold so inaudible but the Atomospheric dumps to Air, so you can hear it ;( IMHO

So Atomspheric dumps are about £80 for basic to a sequencial at £300 IFIRC.

Tony
Old 05 July 2003, 11:35 PM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

In a nutshell they pop,bang,crackle,boom,flame,whistle,flutter & sneeze depending on the type you get and also cause tons of controversial debates in forums.

They are also good at attracting attension with other pedestrians and especially old ladies.

Technically they are suppose to prolong the life of your turbo because they keep your turbo spinning when you change gear.

Now this is what I've been told keep your turbo spinning longer whilst your changing gear, could someone please validate that!, cos i'm not entirly sure it's true.

tbh I kind of like them because of the noise, give that rally feeling, but don't I have one.

Why??

Because I hear that they can cause running problems , Idling, car running too rich, if they are not fitted correctly can leak or jam, & also increase fuel consumption.

Suppose they are like buying a dog, it will either make too much noise, tear up your living room carpet or be warm & loving.

MM
Old 06 July 2003, 04:08 AM
janaid
Scooby Regular

In the context of a Subaru wrx my opinion is you do not need to change the re-circulating dump valve Subaru has already fitted.

In a car which does not have a re-circ dump valve one is required for 2 reasons

1. When you lift of the throttle the inlet butterfly closes, meaning the compressed air from the turbo charger is trapped and this causes the compressor wheel of the turbo to stall.

What this means is that there is more turbo lag as the turbo has to spool up again

2. In the instance above the turbo bearings come under a lot of stress and over a period of time can wear causing turbo to seize.

The standard Subaru dump valve does both the above, as an atmospheric dump valve would.(one that makes the loud noise)
But unlike an atmospheric dump valve it does not waste this compressed air by venting it out, insted it is reuses and dumped air by putting it back into the induction pipe.

If you want the sound of a dump valve, and still want to use the original Subaru set up.
Do the following ,as I am going to do

Fit an MRT inlet plenum pipe and a Blitz metal sus induction kit

1. The mrt inlet plenum pipe gives an increase in induction noise (so the Subaru dump valve can be heard better)
It also increases low end torque and significantly improves high RPM throttle response

2. The blitz dry sus metal induction kit, in my opinion is the best one on the market for the following reasons

1. Its free flow metal mesh design allows a unique induction ROAR to be heard as well as the Subaru dump valve.

2. Many filters on the market have oil on them or need oil,
This oil can go on the MAF sensor and burn. The result of this is the car will run very badly and if you’re running higher boost your going to be in trouble a few miles down the road.

Check out http://www.jap-innovations.co.uk/ for the
MRT inlet plenum pipe £50
Blitz sus induction kit £180
Old 06 July 2003, 09:25 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

but that isn't an exact science it isn't just a case of oil based induction kits having an adverse effect on MAF's & one's like the blitz dont escape the evils of breaking the later MAF's i recall reading a compariosn between different cane filters & the blitz, in addition to looking & sounding good, had one of the best air flow but had one of the worse filtration rates which means more dirt in the air going through
To summarise IMO there is no easy solution but that's a different subject really this is about the joys of PCSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH
Si
Old 06 July 2003, 10:15 AM
dj.burton@btopenworld.com
Scooby Newbie

hi everyone,, god im excited!!!!!!!!! in fact im more excited than an excited thing!!!!!!!!!! went out yesterday with the missus to buy a gas soildering iron!!!!!!!! came home with receipts for a grands worth of poxy furniture and a brand new 2.0 wrx turbo, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! so, comeing back down to earth, is there any mods from standard that can be done to improve on it in any way that dont cost the earth, we have also paid for the prodrive pack to be fitted,

speak soon

dan
Old 06 July 2003, 10:31 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

DJ is this the new model? Anyway the eternal MOD list starts here Where abouts r u based, get thee to a local meet & check out the possibilities
Si
Old 06 July 2003, 11:02 AM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

Janaid, thats a very nice read.

however just have a few questions.

I'm running an 02WRX just had its first 'serv' and it has ppp.

The Blitz SUS Induction kit sounds just what i'm after but the MRT inlet plenum pipe only fits imprezas 93-96.

Are you aware of any other product that would support my year of car, and also is it likly to cause any problems with my prodrive piping ?

TIA

MM

Old 06 July 2003, 10:45 PM
mickjg
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the help on the dump valves
mickjg
Old 07 July 2003, 05:15 PM
dj.burton@btopenworld.com
Scooby Newbie

hi guys and gals

yes si its the impreza III on the 03 plate, right, tell me where the meets are and ill be there to get some idea's, other than than just tell me a few, goo on you know you wanna!!!!!

thanks again

dan
Old 07 July 2003, 05:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

just goto scoobynet scroll down to the bottom where there are sections for midlands, north, south etc then go in there & pick a meet that is nearest or most floats yer boat Personally i think the Cov area meets are the greatest not that i'm biased lol
Enjoy m8y
Si
Old 07 July 2003, 05:38 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dan
How about a simpler user name to start with.
You can put your email address in your profile....
Just a suggestion not a dig

All the best
Pete
Old 07 July 2003, 05:38 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

since i still dunno where yer from lol
Old 07 July 2003, 05:56 PM
janaid
Scooby Regular

Talking

To Monstermunch

Thanks for the kind word much appreciated

After 1996 the induction systems on the subaru wrx engine we improved ,
They gained 13ib of torque a few extra bhp and better response so a MRT type Inlet plenum pipe device is not required.

Your induction system is already up to standard especially with the prodrive induction.

If your prodrive induction is mated to a standard air box or an after market air filter then ,it will be the same universal fitting for the Blitz induction kit.

I have learnt a few things from this post
1.some one said the blitz induction kit has a poor filtering property so investigate this.
2.a Forge closed loop dump valve is a good replacement for the standard item which can leak .so consider this although its not essential