Sponsored by:

Are Subaru's selling or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2003, 08:55 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm seeing a lot of Scoobys for sale in mint condition at very good prices. Some are even below the already silly low prices that are flying around but they don't seem to be moving. Are these cars selling or not? I've got an MY99 with 50k miles, if I put it in at something mental like £7k (which I wouldn't) would is sell?

I need to know that it'll at least sell for something before I even think about ordering up a lease car through my work

Thoughts?
Old 03 July 2003, 09:10 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

I'm having the same thoughts mate to be honest, I've come to the conclusion that nothing sales on ScoobyNet unless your giving it away. I reckon Autotrader is the best thing.

I look on ScoobyNet and prices for my Scooby (MY98) are low, when I look on Autotrader they are priced very similar to what I think the car is worth.

Cheers

Dan
Old 03 July 2003, 09:18 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to sell mine in September and the prices I'm seeing on Scoobynet are quite scarey. I may have to look into trading in for something in the hope of cutting a decent deal...........time will tell
Old 03 July 2003, 09:23 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Its not so much the prices that concern me...I've accepted they are stupid low and we'll all get shafted. Its whether the car will sell at an (whilst remaining semi-realistic) price ?
Old 03 July 2003, 09:26 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

It will sell on, it just depends how long you are willing to wait for the right buyer. If you need to sell quickly then you will be lucky to get what you want for it. If however you can hold out I'm sure somebody would pay a reasonable amount for the car. As they say there is one born every minute........you just need to find those people
Old 03 July 2003, 09:34 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoobys seem to be selling really well (in my opinion) elsewhere . You only need to look at the dealer listings to see the regular turn over of cars . Cars of your year have been advertised well over 10-11k on dealer web sites.
Good luck with the sale, will you be replacing with another scoob?
Old 03 July 2003, 09:57 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'll not be selling for a wee while yet

I'll be replacing the scooby with something cheaper to run (thinking clio cup at the mo) so that I can push some funds into my flat which I've just bought
Old 03 July 2003, 12:08 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold my immaculate 38k McRAE N plate for 8.5k to a neighbour at the weekend would have liked more but did get an extra 1k selling the mods seperatly.
Doc
Old 03 July 2003, 12:16 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Unfortunatly at the moment I would be put off of buying an impreza after all the stories of them getting stolen, attempted car jackings etc I love scoobs and so does my girlfriend but I would be worried about owning one. That must upset the prices surely?

Paul

p.s. I don't think my lancia will sell easily so I think it's not just scoobs
Old 03 July 2003, 12:17 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that is part of the problem....trying to get money back for mods is virtually impossible in my experience. Selling them seperately can sometimes be more fruitful, thats why I keep all the original parts so if needed I can return the car to virtually standard (cosmetically at least).

People look at the general price of the make and model in magazines and price listings but forget that some of the cars on here for sale have got thousands of pounds of mods included. Lots of people looking at buying their first scoob also can't afford a heavily modded scoob due to the insurance!!

Old 03 July 2003, 12:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Doc, I think that's a really good price.
Old 03 July 2003, 08:53 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

Wink

STI.

That McRAE (IS A MINTER)

God knows how much polish she had on her in the 7 years i

had her BTW they where 23k new in 95/96.
Old 03 July 2003, 09:21 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

I dont see many Private sales selling at the mo, most first time scoob buyers (me) may be put of with the lack of warranty of some scoobs. Have a look at the turn over of cars by the dealers, this will kinda confirm this I think.
I gotta admit reading this board can be a bit daunting, this scoob stolen, that one damaged.....does put a dampener on Scoob ownership. Still looking for a good bugeye though
Anyways just my opinion
Laters
Scott
Old 04 July 2003, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

From what I have seen reported, it looks as though S/Hand car sales have really hit the lows. Now that new car prices have reduced so that so many can now afford them instead of used ones it is not surprising. Most people think that a new one will be more reliable even though the value drops frighteningly as you drive it away from the dealer!

We all have to accept the drop in the value of our cars I think.

Les
Old 04 July 2003, 12:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I'm really worried about this. (I don't like loosing money )

My MY97 is immac with only 35K and FSH, with new engine under warrentee (piston slap).

But according to parkers its worth about £7.5K yet I look in auto-trader and see them at 10K Are these prices just dealers having a laugh or is that what they really fetch?

Thankfully my mate say's he'll buy it when I want to sell But then it may be the beer talking. Also the thought of him moving from his current 1.6 POLO to a 208+bhp car is a scary thought

I'm not looking forward to the test drive
Old 04 July 2003, 01:42 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

Mondy's too
Old 04 July 2003, 02:29 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about scoobys getting car jacked, for every 1 scoobys thats jacked 100 german cars get done in the UK

I dont think much of anythings selling at the moment, i got offered 1k of list and 1k over book on a new wrx last week

Whole worlds economy looks pretty poor TBH even old germanys got 5 million unemployed and its not geting better out there.
Old 04 July 2003, 02:29 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Arrow

But according to parkers its worth about £7.5K yet I look in auto-trader and see them at 10K
Dealers use two prices: the trade price - what they buy at, and retail price - what they sell at.

They also base the retail price on how much that car owes them, for example they may have paid more than it's worth to get a deal on a more expensive part-ex.

A MY97 at £10k is taking the pi55, you can get an 05/01/51/02/52 WRX from around £11.5k RETAIL if you know where to look.

The local Subaru dealer to me hasn't even got any classics on it's books now, think that may tell you something...

W or X plate low mileage classics are struggling to crack £10k. Just depends how quickly you want to get rid of it.
Old 04 July 2003, 02:36 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

People on the whole will pay more for a car from the dealers for the piece of mind it gives them, if the cars stolen or in poor condition the dealer has to sort it out. If you hand over 10k for your new shiney pride and joy to a private seller only to be informed its stolen thats your money and car gone all you can do is sue the seller (if you can find them)
Old 04 July 2003, 06:45 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Scoobywont tell me where you can get a new age scoob for £11.5K and Ill be there tomorrow to buy one.
Laters
Spooks
Old 04 July 2003, 07:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In my opinion the Impreza that will sell with NO trouble at all will be a MY99 or MY00 (thats when they were spot-on! Looks wise and with the trim too!!)

Its got to be offered with FULL Subaru Service History, NO mods at all, nothing to indicate a RoyBacer .......... and, the icy on the cake?? 1 or 2 years extended warranty remaining!!

If you are unfortunate and own an Ugly Bug-Eye then I am afraid your goose is cooked ........................ yes, they are cheaper than the classic (by quite a huge margin!!) but its for very good reason!! It would be easier to sell a White House Model, which says, 'Gawd bless America' - in Bagdad!!!!

Pete
Old 04 July 2003, 07:49 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

*yawn*...

so this is worth less than a classic? Don't be silly Pete

Its only got 14000 on it, its 20 months old and I reckon worth about 13k. Find me a classic to match it thats not a special edition

Who buys these cars as an investment??.
Old 04 July 2003, 07:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks nice Buzz .............. BUT it aint a patch on my Classic for looks ............ and the public agree!!!

Thats why Subaru were FORCED to drop it!!

You love your car and thats fine .... BUT the punters want something that DOESN'T look like a frog with a cucumber shoved up its jaczzi!!

Pete
Old 04 July 2003, 08:00 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

lol - I must admit to preferring the classic looks, hence the headlight swap (they've yet to be painted).. but the interior of the newer cars is far better IMO - and I could see that once I was in it but not the bug eyes..that's what swayed me.

want to buy my old lights for a ritual burning?
Old 04 July 2003, 08:36 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Wink

>> But according to parkers its worth about £7.5K yet I look in auto-trader and see them at 10K <<

Always remember, the windscreen "asking" price, be it dealership or private, is often far removed from the agreed price that a car eventually changes hands for. If you see a similar car to yours for 10K on a dealer forecourt, unless you are EXTREMELY lucky, you will not get near that figure for the same car sold privately. It does happen, but VERY rarely. Remember too that there's a built in margin on their dealer prices for any used car to allow for an apparently generous part exchange price. This more often or not clinches a deal. Lost count of the times someone has told me about the excellent price obtained for their old car in a p/x deal. Only later to discover they paid well over the odds for the newer beast! Most part exchanges taken in exchange by dealers cost money to bring up to resale scratch and will also need some sort of warranty too. These things cost. Then preference for a new car instead of a well kept youngish used one is still on the increase. This too means more used cars on the forecourts (count then round your way) and this MUST have some depressing effects on values ... and it does.

Those car value price guides are just that. IMHO, they only serve to create a false impression and lead to many car buyers paying over the odds for the cars. Something us Brits excel at apparently .... Remember too .... "Higher Residuals" .... again Motor Trade speak (Bullshyt) for getting mug punters to pay over the odds for their motoring ....

If you really want to see the true value of cars, attend one of the better Car Auctions. Take a notebook and pay attention. That will be a real education for the first time visitor ... it REALLY will.

Think about it all. Not to do so will COST you money ....... next time you're told about the benefits of "higher residuals", don't forget what that really means!
Old 04 July 2003, 08:40 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Talking

I hate the boxie old shape, i had one 4 years ago . hype says the my01 wrx was ugly , so not that many sold and not many stayed std . so guess which one in 10 years time will be rare and which one will be in low demand

steve

Old 04 July 2003, 08:57 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"your goose is cooked"

My God Pete, you talk out of your @rse about cars too... Like Buzz says, "find me a classic to match..."

Some folk in here, talk such crap in here about selling Scoobs, you'd think they were 6 years old!

Taken from a post of mine in SIDC:

"<< second hand value (Book) being less for the 'Bugeye' than the 'Clasic' shape >>

People keep telling me that too, but having just spent a couple of months or so looking for a car for my Wife, the marketplace doesn't bear that out much. I had a quick look in Autotrader, and of the 200 cars in the £10-12.5K band, there are only 4 BugEyes (2%) that are cheaper than Classics (and one of those is an accident repairable jobbie). In the £12.5-15K band, there are 24 WRXs (12%) out of 200 cars that are cheaper than the most expensive Classic. The Classics that do appear more costly, are usually STi variants, and a lot of the cheap WRXs have 50K+ mileages. We certainly didn't come across a single Classic at several local dealers in our £12.5-15K price bracket. They were all BugEyes and mainly 2001s. Neither did we come across any in the £10-12.5K band."

Cheap Bug Eyes? I'd love to know where they are. After 3 Classics, 1 Bug Eye and 1 Blob Eye, I know which is the inferior car, and it's not either of the latter two.

Oh, and Bug Eyes seem to be selling very well in my area...
Old 04 July 2003, 09:00 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Wink

Classics or 'old heaps'

fred

Old 04 July 2003, 09:29 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

"Thats why Subaru were FORCED to drop it!!"

Who forced them??? Again, another load of crap.

Bug Eye to Blob Eye took 2 years 4 months. The first sheet metal changes to the Classic shape took 2 years 5 months (new front - sound familiar???). So, FHI were "forced" to rush in the changes, one month earlier than on the Classic shape... Big deal.

Contrary to popular belief (in Scoobynet... ), the WRX sold well throughout the World and was very popular in the USA.

Old 04 July 2003, 09:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Typical of a Newcastle supporter .... afraid to face up to facts!!

Subaru WERE forced - by market forces - to redesign QUICK!! The sales of a pig ugly car will ALWAYS struggle!!

It wouldn't surprise me that YOU support a cr4p looking car as Newcastle United are a **** looking team too!!

Go on, stick your head in the sand!!

As for the uglies being collectable? Are the old Scorpio's?? Are the old Corollas?? NO THEY ARE NOT!! and neither will the Pig-Ugly Impreza .................. the Classic will ALWAYS make the money!!

Pete

Quick Reply: Are Subaru's selling or not?