Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about the sti7 before i get a bemmer!

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2003, 01:45 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok- my scoob experience was not a good one.....it was ok, but not great, i had a MY01 wagon with PPP and it was quick but not that quick and a bit drab inside and looked like an ugly blue brick.

so that went when i changed job (it was a co. car) and i got a TVR chim 450 for a laugh......now that will go soon as it was a summer car and i will sell it before the market dips for the winter.

i've decided i like the open top thing..more later.

i tested an evo 7 today....boring, engine VERY quiet- seat to close to dash board for my long legs, fast but not madly so, crap inside...all in all i got back in the TVR and had FUN......i dont want a car for 20K with servicing every 4.5k and insurance needing 9 trackers if its not real good fun.....especialy as the jap turbo thing is a oone trick pony, if an evo's not fun it dont have much else to offer!

so i drove a 330ci convertible! lovley, quick (ish) nice spec, roof down! (which i like!), looks smart and does LOTS very well....no one trick pony here! BUT BMW's have that image and i dont want to make a mistake!

So before i buy it does an sti7 ppp have anything to offer that the evo didnt? and is it still regarded as ugly? " being one of the 1st ugly owners i am still quite scared!"

T
Old 30 June 2003, 09:49 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

When they first came out I thought uurrghh!
But now I love 'em.
The more I look at mine the more I like it!
I also looked at an evo7, but I prefer the looks of the sti7 now (flame suit on!).
If I had the wedge a 330ci (convertible) would be on my list but I aint so there
Old 30 June 2003, 11:17 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
P1 with full scoobysport, gold wheels and 6 pot brakes for around 20k with subaru warranty, but I would say that wouldnt I lol
Old 30 June 2003, 11:22 AM
SteveLegacy
Scooby Regular

Nay, Nay, and thrice Nay!!

BMW 3 series coupes are the most sanitised, anaethatised crocks I've ever driven.

Ran a 328Ci as a company car for a while...very comfortable, but very boring.
Borrowed the directors 330Ci convertible....same story.

I understand whta you say about the interiors of Scoobs and Evos, but if either of to 250BHP+ versions don't seem fast enough, you're just not trying!!

Not sure about the 330, but the 328 was a lowely 197BHP, and in a fat car, it just can't cut it as anything more than a motorway cruiser.
Old 30 June 2003, 11:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tiggs - You just aint trying.

Most people who have driven the Evo and the Sti will tell you that there aint much between them, speed or handling i.e thrill wise. All comes down to exclusivity vs the roar of the boxer engine.

I've got an Sti7 and am thinking about an Evo 8 later in the year (or 9 if it's out), just cos I like to change.

I personally would avoid the beemer unless you are doing lots of miles which makes it the sensible commuter. I'm still astounded how quickly I can go around corners on my private test track in the Sti. Oh and I had an MY01 wagon previously, and there aint no comparison.
Old 30 June 2003, 10:10 PM
BASHER
Scooby Regular

Love my STi7 now, but it took a while of keep looking at pictures before it grew on me.
Beauty is in the eye of the owner, not the wish I could afford one brigade.
Mine is only for sale due to house purchase.
If you buy one you will not be sorry, but if you are over 55 then maybe you should go for the BMW.
But only get a convertible if you are a Woman!