Sponsored by:

~~~ Rolling Road Day Worries ~~~

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2003, 06:58 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am intending to take my car to a forthcoming rolling road day at Nobles in Chesterfield.

Sti8

Firestorm BB
TSL Centre Section
Centre Decat

My concern is that I have heard one or two owners of other high performance cars (Saphire Cossie) that they wouldn't put their cars on rolling Roads as they have noticed a performance decrease and problems with the cars since.

Has anyone ever experienced this with a Scooby and what were the symptoms/actaul fault if any ?

Could it be the way that the test is carried out ?

Just to confirm how is the test carried out ? Is say third gear selected from standstill and then revved upto the limiter ?

Some advice please

Steve
Old 25 June 2003, 07:22 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

No,

Since the rolling road provide resistance similar to a "road" the car is driven in all gears, not just third, and it is not always necessarily "redlined" as a maximum power figure is given lower in the rev range. (usually around 100mph I think??)

It is very similar to just taking your car on the road and giving it some welly, the only downside being that due to the fact that your car is standstill, you have no natural cool air flow going into the front of the car. This is why Rolling roads use a huge mobile fan to simulate driving on the road, however it is not quite the same, but helps.

If I am wrong on any points (which I probably am) please feel free to point out.

Just make sure your car is in sound mechanical condition, well seviced with good oil and water. Oh yeah, and a full tank too!
Old 25 June 2003, 07:24 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

it will prolly be on a 4 roller rolling road. usually 4th gear to about 120mph. please, please, please make sure that you have enough air going in the top mounted intercooler coz thats what kills these cars. make sure the air is directed into the TMIC and not just a big **** off fan blowin a 70mph breeze over the top of the engine. ok for front mounters sh1te for TMIC. Turbos need air fullstop. you don't have enuf air going in you can't expect good figures and you stand to blow up the engine. don't be faffed off with a spray of misty water on the TMIC either. that evaporates in a microsecond and drops latents by **** all.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

cheers

big sinky
Old 25 June 2003, 07:51 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice so far chaps. It is at Nobles in Chesterfield, so a pretty good outfit I would say ! - Noble Sports car engine etc

I will be expecting a good feed into the TMIC and also into the induction vent at the front. Don't fancy blowing me engine up so will be sure that everything is set-up properly
Old 25 June 2003, 07:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I was worried when my car went on the RR, thought it might blow up (am a bit paraniod) but no worries, it ran fine. If you're going to a reputable place with a four wheel dyno then you should be ok, they should know what they are doing.
Old 25 June 2003, 08:01 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Just sent an e-mail to Nobles regarding my concerns and asking them to verify the procedure and preparation of the car before the test begins

I will post the reply

Old 25 June 2003, 09:37 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just done my first ever RR day at Well Lane - was a photo shoot for Redline Magazine too

Was a good day and I was not too worried as the guys who own the place took no sh!te from the magazine My Sport made 131bhp but that was nothing to the 453bhp the R32 Skyline made

Go for it, it's a good way of seeing how much your mods have increased yer power
Old 25 June 2003, 10:19 PM
Flat4-Chris
Scooby Regular

Steve,

A few of us went to Nobles last year (I think some went back agin this year). They run the car up through the gears to fourth then do the power run in 4th from 2500 to 6500 rpm (on my UK 2000 anyway, I guess on your sti they might take it a bit heigher to account for the different power band), staying away from the red line as max power and torque is lower down.

They set up 2 fans one big un dealing with the cooling and another coming off their aircon directed onto the intercooler.

I didn't have any problems after, only humiliation at being the lowest power on the day

Chris