Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help !! Turbo timer to suit the alarm ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2003, 04:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to garage today to get Greddy turbo timer fitted.They couldn't bypass my AI600 Toad alarm system and said no turbotimer can bypass it.If it was AI606,they could do so.Any suggestions? What other turbotimer I can go for with this alarm or shall I accept that for the timespan I own this scoob,I will have to wait for cooling down and warming up?It means,at least 75 hrs per annum !! HELP ME!It's doing my head in!
Old 19 June 2003, 05:43 PM
binatone
Scooby Regular

hi
just had the AI6o6 fitted and i still have to wait for the timer, alot of companies told me they would not give me a cat1 certificate with a turbo timer fitted to the car !!!so i either take it off or have no certificate ....
I get so annoyed too.. but sorry i habe no other advise ...
Old 19 June 2003, 06:25 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

The only alarm that will work with a turbo timer is the Clifford however you have to use there timer
Old 19 June 2003, 06:48 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I have a Blitz digital turbo timer and a Sigma CAT1 and they work fine together.
Old 19 June 2003, 08:12 PM
dapper
Scooby Newbie

ive got a my00 with the standard sigma alarm fitted.
i want a Turbo timer but before i buy one does anyone know if the alarm is set while the timer is on? and if so, if the alarm is triggered will the engine cut and the imobiliser be activated.

any info will be a great help.
cheers.
Old 19 June 2003, 08:36 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I also have a MY00, the Blitz boost gauge/digital turbo timer that I have in conjunction with my Sigma alarm work fine together as I previously said.
When the ignition is switched off, and the timer is counting down from 1 minute I then activate the alarm and walk away.
If anyone were to put the car in gear the engine would stall and activate the alarm.
HTH
Old 19 June 2003, 09:23 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

turbo timers - waste of time. have the sense to run off boost for a mile or two before switchin off. better than sittin on yer drive with no airflow for 5 mins...

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2003, 09:30 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

dapper, in answer to your question, I have queried the very same thing with my car.
I too have a MY00 with standard Sigma alarm and have fitted a Blitz Dual DC Turbo Timer to it. While the Timer is timing down, the alarm will not arm, as the system detects that the engine is running. (similarily, if you press the button on your fob whilst driving, nothing will happen, this is the same thing)
What I have to do is, turn ignition off and remove keys, lock door with keys while timer is timing down and activate alarm from house window after engine has shut down.
Alternatively, you could get out of the car and wait till the engine shuts off and lock doors/arm alarm with fob, but this kinda defeats the purpose of having a turbo timer.....
I have heard that the Sigma can be adapted to have a preset "delay" on the arming, which should hypothetically, lock the doors while timing down and arm system after preset time. (which should be longer than your turbo timer preset), however I know of no one who has done it......

Not much help really, sorry!
Old 19 June 2003, 09:34 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

DannyB,

You said, "When the ignition is switched off, and the timer is counting down from 1 minute I then activate the alarm and walk away"

Could you clarify, when you press your fob to activate the alarm/lock doors, is the engine still running/timing down???

If so, did you adapt the alarm, or was it fitted before you got the car, presuming you didn't buy it new?

Thanks
Old 20 June 2003, 02:24 PM
dapper
Scooby Newbie

Wink

cheers talizman,
i dont think ill bother with one then. i was hoping u could pull up, get out, blip the alarm and walk away knowing that if some little tw@t was to set the alarm off the engine would cut immeadiately and the immobaliser would switch on.
you would have thought a security company somewhere would have had such a device, anyway ill stop moaning now
cheers.
Old 20 June 2003, 02:45 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Sorry my mistake, the alarm is a Selca and yes the doors do lock and alarm activated when I walk away while timer counting down.
Old 20 June 2003, 04:27 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

No one is denying that you can get the two to run together, the problem is that you lose cat1 insurance status/alarm status because the engine is able to run with the alarm activated which is a thatcham requirement which means your insurance COULD be invalid.
check carefully with your company before you do this as *touch wood* we dont want a loss of cover for any reasons...
I use the minute wait to walk round the car and check tyres, glass, stone chips, cleanliness etc etc etc
IMHO of course, but this has been a thread many times before and my insurance company told me to get lost...
Agree with above, come off boost earlier or question yourself as to whether a minute of your day is worth sacrificing to drive such an amazing car... Just a thought..

Andy
Old 21 June 2003, 10:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

A well....I better leave the idea for now.May be,I will have to change my alarm to get the Turbo Timer fitted in my car.And,at the moment,I haven't got no extra dosh.
Thanx anyway,folks.
Old 21 June 2003, 11:59 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

The top of the range Cliffords can be programmed to operate as a turbo timer which is way cool!
Old 22 June 2003, 09:28 AM
theodore
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
I don:t know what is a turbo timer.Can somebody explain to me?
Regards,
Theodore.
Old 22 June 2003, 10:12 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

A Turbo Timer is an electronic device that allows your turbo-charged car to idle for a preset time after you remove your keys in order to allow the turbo to cool by means of fresh oil circulation.
If the engine is cut off immediately after a hard run, then the turbo will be red hot, and any oil in it when the bearings stop will basically cook and over time turn to sludge, shortening the turbo's life.

Hope this helps.
Old 23 June 2003, 10:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Talizman,tell me if by mistake(or if one is a nugget driver- don't think I do it deliberately ) you stall before cooling the turbo,should you restart to run the engine for 2 mins or so?and,will it prevent turbo from wrecking?
Old 23 June 2003, 11:51 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

IMO...

If I stalled the engine immediately after a hard run, I certainly would quickly re-start it to keep the oil cooling the turbo down.

Old 23 June 2003, 11:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Top man U R- Talizman!
Thanx!