Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA / US wrx differences.

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2003, 04:23 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in New Brunswick Canada for work at the moment and did a little tourst sight seeing yesterday (Saturday). Driving around I came across a Subaru dealership with a whole load of my02 2.5 rs Impreza's and a couple of Brand New my 03 WRX (except they badge it as the 04 model ???). As well as a Baja pick up truck thing.

Well I looked around the wrx and there are a few startling differences. The price is one at $34.595 canadian dollars plus regional taxes.

but from a distance I could see all was not well, The rims/wheels are only 16" with 205/16/60 tyres on !!!!!. The wheel design is similiar to our 03 wrx but are silver in colour and not as agressive as the uk 03 wrx models.

Then nestling between the wheels are tiny 2 pot brakes on the front and even smaller 2 pots on the back, not the black calipers with white subaru logo like the uk wrx these are plain brass looking affairs with tiny discs. I looked at a 2.5 gs 5 door model and it had the same brakes.

Next the front fogs are tiny much smaller than the uk, then I noticed the whole front bumper is different the front splitter is missing the vents and is not as agreesivly styled.

The interior was pretty much the same only difference I could see was a sunroof and 2 buttons near the handbrake that I figured were for heated seats / seat control.

With the smaller wheels and small fogs the wrx did not look menancing at all it looks more like the uk GS model but with a scoop. And with the smaller less powerful brakes I hope it can stop the 227hp claimed on the spec list. Its a shame as looking at the other cars on the road the 03 uk wrx would look good and the ca 04 wrx lots a bit odd, its strange how a few things can make a lot of difference.

The canadian who I was with said something about pedestrian safety, and snow chains not fitting on big rimmed cars, what a load of cop. Price isnt bad though.

on a side note I was very dissapointed by the Mustang GT we rented from Budget rent a car once i got bored of the exhast note it drove like a sack of spuds on a kids go cart. Looking forward to coming home and going for a drive in my scooby.