Sponsored by:

legacy outback

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2003, 09:33 PM
mefagen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I know most of you are wrx users,but i went for a 2.5 legacy outback this april 2003 from a trader ,unfortunately within 2 months less than 400 miles it broke down on me,it had been running fine then all of a sudden it made a heavy rattly sound when started and lost power stalling out in drive, i had got mechanical breakdown insurance super + cover and when notifying them was told to get it to a garage,so i got it transported to a subaru garage at sheffield, and they have informed me that they think it is the crank that that has gone so they will have strip the engine down to investigate next week,and that i will be looking at around £1800-£2000 and that the mechanical breakdown may not cover it as they try to wriggle out of it with its exclusions,so i am at the moment drowning my sorrows as i cant beleive that happening to me,i know the cqar has done just over 90,000 miles and had just had a sevice before i bought it but it is only a 2000 w reg, any suggestions, or ideas appreciated thanks .
Old 14 June 2003, 12:06 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Bad Luck.

Read you policy in detail.

Check that you have followed the correct procedure / timescales.

Take the name and note the date/time (for reference) of anyone you speak to at the insurers.

If you have done what you should have, get the dealer and insurer talking on possible fault and push insurer to authorise before the dealer does anything other than basic investigation.

Does it have full Subaru history or not ? If the insurance doesn't cover it, Subaru have no obligation, but the might jointly (international motors /dealer) give a reduction on labour costs ?!

No easy answer
Old 14 June 2003, 08:11 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Not good this. However, regardless of the terms of the extra warranty you've got. I reckon you got a good case under the Sale of Goods Act (1979 Amended):

"The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:

- of satisfactory quality
- as described
- fit for purpose

'Satisfactory quality' covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

'As described' refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.

'Fit for purpose' covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If something you buy from a trader does not meet these conditions, you are first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced.

If these remedies are inappropriate, then you are entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The Act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods are not 'as described'.

If goods that are expected to last six months, do not do so it will be presumed that the goods did not conform to the contract at the time they were bought — unless the trader can prove to the contrary.

I'd say you got a good case under whether the car was 'fit for purpose'. I'd talk to your local citizens advice bureau and see what they say.

Chris