Sponsored by:

FAO Everyone - Offensive Pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 11:08 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sorry but that has to be the biggest generalisation ive ever heard...

It runs along the same lines as those parents and people who say, if you listen to rap music i.e eminem everyone will go out and shoot people e.t.c i mean please.... come on..?

How many people are going to come on scoobynet see a woman in a bikini and think the whole sight is cheap...??? when these pictures only seem to pop up in 2 of 39 different forums. i.e muppets and members gallery.

People dont post pics all the time now so why when you bring a rule in stating that you can post these pic but they must be clean, will people all of a sudden post this type of pic in every forum.

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 6/1/2003 11:09:44 AM]
Old 06 January 2003, 11:31 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Taken from the guidelines :

o Remove any copyright-infringing material (either text or graphic)

The other problem is copyright issues, ie people lifting glamour pictures which they have no right to link to. Are the mods going to check out every picture to make sure there is no copyright assoicated to it. Will the person linking to it check , I think not.

[Edited by chrisp - 6/1/2003 11:34:43 AM]
Old 06 January 2003, 06:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Wink

[Edited by PG - 6/1/2003 6:33:10 PM]
Old 06 January 2003, 07:44 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lynne, I'm obviously insecure about it all, so much so that I posted several photos of women in latex and lingerie on the board myself last week. Of course I am jealous.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 6/1/2003 7:47:33 PM]
Old 06 January 2003, 08:34 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

saucy-scooby, how many blokes have you actually seen who look good without their clothes?

I rest my case...
PMSL very good Emma

Say no more - hahaha

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=215332

[Edited by Redkop - 6/1/2003 8:41:15 PM]
Old 06 February 2003, 07:52 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/2/2003 3:25:05 PM]
Old 06 February 2003, 11:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Perhaps certain people can cut the personal insults, jibes, stereotyping and digs, it serves no useful purpose and does not help!

Please keep this constructive and on topic.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 6/2/2003 11:49:47 AM]
Old 06 March 2003, 12:49 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Sorry Claude honey

the BBS randomly filters out some words, where as feltching would be perfectly OK. The limits of PC-ness I guess ?
Probably... so what were you talking about what it makes you then?

And yes, the mayo is killing me But then again so did your kartoffelnsalad
No N in Kartoffelsalad LOL

I suspect it could be the carbs in the potatoes as well...

Anyway, what's goin on? You sound like you are disappointed after investing a lot of time and effort into this BBS. What happened? Explain.

[Edited by Claudius - 6/3/2003 12:50:48 AM]
Old 06 March 2003, 02:58 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

As other people have said, nipples would potentially take photos over the edge of what would be considered acceptable for viewing at work, and may result in ScoobyNet getting banned for many people. I, and many others, would prefer these types of photos be avoided on the forums.

As far as I am aware, these types of photos have not been allowed to date, and my opinion is that this should also continue unchanged.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 6/3/2003 3:00:28 PM]
Old 06 March 2003, 06:36 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

A decision WAS made
touchy that thick skin of your worn a little thin over the years?

Meant to be humorous , do I have to put smileys all over the place? ?

And I'm not trying to imply I've a greater insight than those more deeply involved in the bbs. It's an attempt to improve the board across all forums wheather it be Bums n **** or Bushes n Tracking.

A specific will dispense with debate over mods actions, accusations of favourtism/overmoderation, demands for justification and much of the other prattle. Allowing time to address intangibles of the legal/prejudical nature.

"what if 980 of the 1000 views had happened prior to the offensive item being posted" Come along now, contributions before the material appeared obviously couldn't be included.

Neither should I'm a little disturbed by..., either it's an issue or don't waste the mods leisure time! The rules don't need to be unquestionably fair just simple & clear.

X unqualified complaints in Y posts/minutes bye bye baby.

Oh, I accept the multiple persona issue complicates things slightly but there are ways to minimise that, and a similar ploy could be used to play the current system anyway.

[Edited by banshi - 6/3/2003 6:42:04 PM]
Old 31 May 2003, 10:45 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

Over the last few weeks we've had a number of posts containing photo's of semi naked men/women. These photo's are about the same level as found in FHM/Cosmo etc

We've had a number of complaints about those photo's being posted and a number of complaints about those threads being moderated.

So the question to you all is.

Is Scoobynet the right place for posting of such photo's and if so what needs to change to allow the people who do want to view such photos to do so, and the people who don't can't?

We really want to hear you're views on this as this is a decision that needs to be made by the community as a whole.
Old 31 May 2003, 11:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Should not be necessary on a car enthusiasts' forum.

Les
Old 31 May 2003, 11:16 AM
Attu
Scooby Regular

If the thread is headed NWS (not work safe) then it would be obvious what was contained in the thread, then people can make their own decision whether they should look in the thread or not.
A community this size your never going to please all the people all the time.

Andy
Old 31 May 2003, 11:19 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of other sites to post this type of stuff, I'd prefer they went elsewhere.
Old 31 May 2003, 11:19 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe if a thread contains such pics then a pop up window should be made to warn people of 'offensive content' before it opens the thread?

Personally I do not see why people are complaining about this, they are not **** and can be found by loking through any Max Power, Fast Car, tabloid newspaper, as you say FHM etc. but we should consider the views of all I suppose.
Old 31 May 2003, 11:25 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone who has complained needs to grow up and say hello to 2003!
IMO any picture which doesn't show too much, ie- nipples, pubes should be allowed regardless of complaints by anyone. As you have quite rightly pointed out Neil, these types of photos are freely available in FHM etc, and last time i looked they were not top shelf and were not subject to a minimum age restriction.
As a side note, why do these moaners visit threads which have a title like "pix of girls cleaning Cars post " when it is clearly obvious what they're gonna see.

And too the moaners
Old 31 May 2003, 11:37 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

These photo's are about the same level as found in FHM/Cosmo etc
So what is the prob
to those who are complaining....get a 'kin grip !!
Old 31 May 2003, 11:40 AM
JonGould
Scooby Regular

Personally i think its stupid. In this time sex is a big part of peoples life. It is no longer an act for the bedroom only and it is used to great effect for good (and a bit of bad).

On another car forum that i use we had a similar problem. Now any post with anything 'taboo' has the words [CONTENT WARNING] in the title. This allows the more 'british' of us to no longer have to view these kinds of posts. Its a habit that we all got in and it works.

But after all, if they think that photos like that are offensive then they should get off the internet, never read a paper, make sure they dont watch any adverts, turn the telly off after 9PM, NEVER buy a car mag and make sure they dont look at the opposite sex during the warmer months...
Old 31 May 2003, 11:42 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

god there are some really boring people on this board...!!!

100% agree with brun..!!!

The thing i dont get is if these people are offended by the thread which is for instence titled 'semi-naked women on cars' why the hell do they look...???

People who complain and say not on a car forum, all i say is there are 16 other forums on scoobynet dedicated to cars which pics of this kind never appear and a few pictures is hardly a whole forum with pics of naked women in them is it... get real.

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 5/31/2003 11:54:29 AM]
Old 31 May 2003, 11:42 AM
JonGould
Scooby Regular

oh, and we only use CONTENT WARNING if something such as a bit of nipple is shown, not on just bikini clad girls, FFS i can look outa my window and see them!!! (live by the beach)
Old 31 May 2003, 11:51 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Can't see what all the fuss is about, you only have to turn one page in certain tabloids to see worse than i have even seen on scoobynet.

I think some poeple need to open your eyes and say hello to the 21st century !

Anyway, these people complaining are not made to look at these pics and do so of there own accord, then complain !

And while we are on the case, explain this one for me, to look at **** you have to be 18 years old but to actually take part in it, ie have sex, you only have to be 16 ! whats worse ! lol

What a crazy world we live in !
Old 31 May 2003, 11:52 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, should put a content warning in the thread title for these old fuddy duddies !
Old 31 May 2003, 11:57 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Talking

ok, i haven't read the other posts so apologies if this is a SIAL

<mycroft stylie typing>
...i don't see why anyone would mind if it is something that you will encounter in day to day media, i.e. the tabloids
...people my say this is a car forum etc, but we do have interests outside car forums and as people do post said content and the threads can be very active then they are clearly popular
...if you find it offensive don't look at it
...if it is clearly offensive (i.e. outside the realms of common decency) then it should be subjected to the appropriate moderation just like any other thread
</mycroft stylie typing>

i think common sense just needs to be applied. lets not get too hung up on it, and at worst just fire it off into muppets which is not exactly a car related forum

be good,
steven
Old 31 May 2003, 11:58 AM
dazc2
Scooby Regular

Where ever you go on any car related forum, there will always be the odd photo appearing like the type in FHM. To look at this type of thing is just human nature....or at least male human nature. It will always happen and you will never prevent it but there are always people who take it too far!!

Turbosport has 3 forums for this type of thing...... Top Tottie forum (name could have been better but.... ) is a public forum for men and women to post what ever type of photos they want as long as its not showing private parts of the body.....

Then there are 2 hidden forums one is the Mens room and the other is the Womens room....respectively men who are over 18 and want access have access to the Mens room where anything goes must e-mail or private message the site admin with a request. Same for the Womens room..... people who don't want access don't apply.

This idea has also been adopted by PassionFord.

Prehaps the Mens/Womens room is a little bit much for SN but the Top Tottie forum might help, maybe have it as an applications only forum so it is hidden to users who don't want access. Or at least if it is a public forum then people don't have to go in if they don't want too.

Old 31 May 2003, 12:05 PM
Lunchie
Scooby Regular

Cool

If a "TTF" was created, I woulldn't be surprised if it starting get a hell of a lot of hits. Human nature an all that!
Old 31 May 2003, 12:05 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Talking

in addition...

could the people that find it offensive please represent themselves and put their views forward as it is all very one sided at the moment (and hence becoming pointless, hardly a debate!)

cheers,
steven
Old 31 May 2003, 12:06 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I 100% agree.. its 2003.. Im quite happy to look at pictures of birds.. turbosport has a forum just for pics like this

If you dont like, dont look!
Old 31 May 2003, 12:06 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Good god, this place never ceases to crack me up. You will go completely overboard on so-called PC issues like there is no tomorrow, yet you never ever seem to ban complete and utter wasters from spamming up on this board and annoying people. I hate to say this, as it has already been said sooooo often in the last year or so, but this place really has gone to the dogs a bit in the 2 years since I joined. I know a fair few few original members that keep away from here like the plague nowadays. Sad, sad times indeed IMO.
Old 31 May 2003, 12:12 PM
Anonymous bob
Scooby Regular

have you not seen some of the adverts for showergels etc... the women are only just covering up their wee bits, and they are on public view for all!! Sure a few FHM type piccies shouldn't be a problem.
Old 31 May 2003, 12:22 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

If you in to cars and buy some car mags you never see young ladies in them

Quick Reply: FAO Everyone - Offensive Pictures?