Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The down sides of 'The Bugeye'???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2003, 06:42 PM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently own an MY99 UK Turbo with mods, nothing major. I am looking to chnge my car in about 4mths and am toying with some ideas.

Just wanna know about the bad bits of a 01/02 reg WRX bugeye, if any of you have had bad experiences?

Aslo, what power does the UK WRX Bugeye have??!

Thanks,

Dunc.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

215bhp same as your MY99 except it weighes 150kgs more. Performance will similar to your MY99 with 4 people in it.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:53 PM
Dunc20
Scooby Regular

The WRX has 215bhp???!!!
Old 29 May 2003, 07:00 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

215 bhp due to the emissions ,get a full afterburner or similar and u can get up to an extra 30 horses,only downside ihave is the lights and spoiler which i intend to change when funds become available,hope this helps
bluenose
Old 29 May 2003, 07:04 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

No real downsides, apart from the shape of course, which is a grower.

A bit more power would have been nice, you would have thought that evolution would have made the car faster, not (slightly) slower.

IMHO Main plus points are a nicer cabin, a mite less understeer and tidier handling, and a lot less noise & harshness.

In short, the Bugeye is probably better. But I did preferred OWNING the Classic. Take your pick.

Olly (MY2000 to MY2001).
Old 29 May 2003, 07:33 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

215 bhp due to the emissions ,get a full afterburner or similar and u can get up to an extra 30 horses,only downside ihave is the lights and spoiler which i intend to change when funds become available,hope this helps
bluenose
Yep you can do that to a classic as well except you dont have the sensor problem.
Old 29 May 2003, 08:01 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Four people weighing in at 150kg?!? Are you a midget or something Crisp? That's just over 5 stone per person.
Old 29 May 2003, 08:02 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Four people weighing in at 150kg?!? Are you a midget or something Crisp? That's just over 5 stone per person.
Nope. He just hangs around with supermodels
Old 29 May 2003, 08:05 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Lucky bar steward!
Old 29 May 2003, 08:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL hang on guys

4 people = 3 + 1 driver so 3 people extra 50kgs each = 8 stone ish

Yep maybe two extra people then 75kgs each = 12 stone
Old 29 May 2003, 09:32 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

You may end up with a boot leak.
Hopefully that should have been fixed.
Old 29 May 2003, 09:43 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Dunc check the bugeye corner in the members gallery.

No downsides mate, the build quality is really quite good (just listen to the doors shut) the standard trim and options are pretty good (twin airbags, built in rollcage, cd player, 17inch rims etc) and by changing the lights and the rear spoiler you have, in my opinion a great looking car. Curves are easy, lines aren't. Stand behind and to the side of the WRX and look at those wheel arch flares. Not 22b beautiful, but beautiful nonetheless.

A set of eibachs for a couple hundred and your handling is transformed.

Sub-1k for a full system (sub 500 if you look in the for sale section here) and you have 260+ and THAT noise.

A further 600 and you are knocking on 300.

From there on in, its purely down to your imagination and budget. The popularity of the bugeye in the US has led to a myriad of styling options, just take your pick. As I said, take a look at the thread in members gallery. Go on, you know it makes sense.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:49 PM
ROLIWRX
Scooby Regular

Dunc,
I bought a brand new import in September last year haven't look back since. I imported because I saved myself almost 4.5K on UK price and what I saved spent on mods. I guess your looking at 2nd hand so I would reiterate what edcase said set of morrettes,eibach springs,a set of 18",a full decat/tek3,replacement rear spoiler.
It's sad I know but I still get a buzz when people look at the car when I drive past or pull in somewhere(petrol stations are good!!)I've even had kids in the street shouting "Nice car mate"
Downsides: soft paint,the car does seem prone to stone chipping and theres petrol consumption of course. But hey if you wanted economy you'd buy a diesel micra!
Buy one it's worth for the exhaust note ,let alone the handling, acceleration, etc,etc.
Old 30 May 2003, 12:21 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Downsides? ?
Old 30 May 2003, 01:38 AM
taylor
Scooby Regular

I recently changed from a a lightly modded classic(eibachs, geometry, bumpsteer, droplinks) to a modded bugeye. There's no comparrison. The bugeye has far more grip and no understeer(eibachs and tsl geometry).

I don't know about the performance of the standard car but with full decat and Ecutek by Scoobysport you'll have a reliable and drivable 285bhp and 270lb/ft.

And they're cheap as chips as well. Go for it.
Old 30 May 2003, 01:50 AM
Mrx
Scooby Regular

I have a classic but must admit some of the after market headlights look really nice. Looking at the price they are going for I think its worth considering.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:11 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I hope all you guys who now have 300bhp instead of the official 215bhp have told your insurance company .
Old 30 May 2003, 10:17 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Personally...

(zips triple coated flames suit on for this one)

If you can stand the looks (I couldnt) the "out of the box" lesser performance & the astronomical depreciation they are suffering from when why not

Personally I would stay with the classic - save a few thousand, spend it on performance & driver training & you will beat a bugeye all over the place.

Or just buy an Evo
Old 30 May 2003, 10:20 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 Subaru's in total a 'P' plate classic and a WR RB5 and my Bugeye with mods (Cough) is a far better car with much better build quality and the major plus point is it doesnt look as tired as the Classic which if your honest is showing its age big time.

I know i might get flamed for that last comment but its MHO.

Zippy

[Edited by ZIPPY - 5/30/2003 10:20:48 AM]
Old 30 May 2003, 10:24 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a bugeye in about 4 months, mine will be for sale at that time!

Check it out in the Bugeye corner
Old 30 May 2003, 10:26 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

ChrisP, Yep but only because I'm paranoid

Dunc.

A while ago you posted This thread

Mine was the car parked next to the classic. If your waiting a few months why not buy my car with all the work already done

Nathan..
Old 30 May 2003, 10:27 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

This will get moved to 'For Sale' soon
Old 30 May 2003, 10:33 AM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

the paint is crap the build quality is better and feels better put together as for power i went for a cypiot wrx ie

alcantra trim
260 bhp jap spec eng
jap spec suspention
but i do love those arches

.......chris
Old 30 May 2003, 10:46 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
C - sorry mate, you are entitled to your opinion obviously.

But your WRONG

Bear in mind also that the bugeye has done the majority of its depreciation and my local dealer said they are selling more of em now the new model out than they were before.

You can get a 2nd hand bugeye import so cheap (comparatively) now that you will be able to afford to spend a few hundred sorting the lights / spoiler and suspension.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:51 AM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

what u mean there are good points to the bugeye? lol

Bad points there isnt enough room on this forum to fit them all, but mainly theyre ugly, theyre heavy, theyre slow lol. Use the money to buy a nice sti version 5 or 6 which will whup the uk stis and looks sweet.

Or if you really want a larger car buy an evo 5, theyre faster than scoobies, handle better and unlike the bugeye dont look like overweight vw golfs with a boot lol.
Old 30 May 2003, 11:04 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Dunc,

I went from an STI V2 (via a clapped out XR3i) to my current MY02 WRX. As mentioned, build quality is much better, standard brakes are much better, it feels alot stiffer and tighter. Fortunately I opted for 24 month contract hire because a) I wasnt convinced about a bugeye over a classic and b) wasnt sure if the WRX would be powerful enough and I couldnt stretch to an STI. Verdict: When the hire finishes next year Im gonna go for an STI V5 or V6, because they will become classics, dont think the bug-eye ever will.

Cheers

Gary
Old 30 May 2003, 11:29 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Edcase - I spose its a matter of opinion then

The bug eye will always go down as the biggest fvck up Subaru ever made, for what other reason would they have a major redesign after such a short time...

They went from 6 month waiting lists & sod all discount with the classic to choose your own spec & have it in a couple of weeks, oh p.s. have a couple of grand off/extra for your px as we desperate to sell them/bugger they still aint shifting does sir want 0% with that???

Maybe yes its better put together, but so it bloody should be its 150kgs heavier than the old one!!!

I went from a P1 to an Evo as I couldnt believe what Subaru had done siwrx's view of the looks it close - but I would class it as an overweight corolla with a boot instead

Yoey shot themselves in the foot making this car for a number of reasons, no magazine rated it allround "better" than the classic, the STi has good reviews but again sucicidal depreciation with them due to price re-alignments etc.

The blob eye is a step in the right direction, but still no where near enough of an incentive to intice me back.

I personally & have had this opion from a couple of trader friends wouldnt be shocked if you start to see bug eyes cheaper than classics soon....

IMHO of course

*flame suit fully applied now*
Old 30 May 2003, 11:30 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Stick with the classic! Ive had 3 Scoobs, 98 STI, 99 UK and 02 WRX with Eibachs, Prodrive conversion, morrettes, 18" speedlines. I don't know what it was but I never liked the bugeye, spent a fortune on it and only had it for 6 months, not as raw as the classic. Just my opinion but get a drive in one before you buy!
Old 30 May 2003, 11:32 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Now driving an EVO6 as above.....proper car!
Old 30 May 2003, 11:37 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bug-eye any day. More comfortable, better equipment, looks more modern, AND,,,
It has the bright button more conveniently located on the combi- switch! No faffing around on the centre consol for me

Quick Reply: The down sides of 'The Bugeye'???!!!