Sponsored by:

Average driver

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 09:56 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget the two second rule!

Ari Vatanen once told me you can always brake later than you can think you can.

The two second rule is as follows:

When arriving at a corner, when you think you need to brake, wait 2 seconds, themn brake.You will always make the corner. (nearly always,anyway).

Now thats advanced driving!

[Edited by Andy Gough - 6/1/2003 9:57:32 PM]
Old 29 May 2003, 04:47 PM
conjug
Scooby Newbie

Recently read an admittedly quite old mens health magazine. It reckons some survey carried out in America found that 87% of people (questioned) rated themselves as a better than average driver. Wondered what people on here would respond if asked the same question...
Old 29 May 2003, 04:54 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sometimes I forget which pedal does what, but I haven't crashed this year so I must be good.
Cman
Old 29 May 2003, 07:13 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Since getting my scooby, I have taken the trouble to find a good qualified advanced driving instructor. I have been out with him once already. He was going to charge me the going rate for a "normal" driving lesson, £17, but after being out for over an hour and a half, he said he had enjoyed it so much, I could have it for free.
We were out last wednesday night, in some of the worst rain this area, south Manchester, has had for ages. We went round the country lanes near Congleton and Holmes Chapel. The roads were slippy as hell, so I kept my speed down to well within the limits. Which he later told me he was glad of!
He basically went over the best lines to take through corners, and noticed that I was turning in too soon on most bends, which I have since corrected.
I found the tuition very useful, and will be going out again in June with him, hopefully in the dry this time!
If you've never had any advanced driver training, I would highly recommend it. Driving is not just about going fast, it is all about reading the road ahead, and giving yourself plenty of space and time to react to obsticles and hazards on the road. Always drive with plenty of margin for other peoples error is my philosophy, which sometimes means I do go slower than other scooby owners on meets, but I feel safer in myself.
A rally day is next, to see what a proper rally car can do off road, then maybe some instruction on the track after that.
We seem to spend a fortune on the cars themselves, but nobody says how much they actually spend on the one thing that it all depends on, THE DRIVER.
chris.
Old 01 June 2003, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Excellent post cw42, you will be a safer driver for it and get even more enjoyment from your Scoob. Its better in the wet though-doesn't wear the tyres out!

Les
Old 01 June 2003, 11:53 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it's finding an advanced driver that is actually advanced.

Watching some of the traffic cops i have seen, it doesn't breed much confidence.

You can be trained till you're blue in the face imo but i think you are born with a natural driving talent that can be tuned.

What makes me laugh is when you see a traffic cop in his work car, ready for action, looking the part, then when his shift is over he drives home in an old Fiesta that he owns??

That to me can't be right!!
Old 01 June 2003, 12:01 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres someone on this board that is a traffic copper... Ive seen them drive their work car

Shame I was in it

Ive also been out in their car for a quick spin.. I have to say they drove like they were chasing someone.. we also went out for a little drive.. 3 scoobs in convoy..

That man has some serious talent..

I always thought If i got followed by the police I may be able to get away easily enough.. not if its a traffic copper I wont.. not even with the power..

Then listening to some of the chase storys

David
Old 01 June 2003, 12:26 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

If it is the same traffic cop I think you are talking about then I can back you up in what you say David!!!

He is an awesome driver and very safe too! Some of the stories are jaw dropping.
Old 01 June 2003, 01:19 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

The fellow who took me out started off as a rally driver in his own right, then moved to a welsh rally school as an instructor there for ages. Then came a move to pro-drive, testing works rally cars for them, and now he is retired, he mainly marshals at british rally chamionships.
He actually took Richard Burns out for nearly a year when Richard was first starting out in rallying! He has the pictures to prove it, hehe.
I've not been in the passenger seat with him yet, as my insurance wont allow him to drive my scooby, but he has a little mg zf, so I may have a blast in that with him soon,
Thanks for the comments leslie, and hope to see you all at the NBO in only 2 weeks!
chris.
Old 01 June 2003, 01:55 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

What started out purely as an exercise in reducing my insurance premium , at the age of 19 (11 years ago)I decided on doing my advance driving course/test , which after a dozen or so very informative lessons I passed. Unfortunately I didn't realise much of a saving in my insurance but what I gained from the course has easily made up for that & is still firmly wedged in my driving style 11 years down the line.
Without waffling on the 3 main points are.
1. Early recognistion of whats occuring up ahead & more importantly What MAY occur up ahead.Always looking at possible scenarios. Strange how many incidents you find yourself predicting & as a result avoiding.

2. Always knowing whats around you and allowing you an escape route whenever possible.Especially helpful on Motorway driving etc.

3. Always being in a responsive gear & being able to respond to anything quickly & safely when required. In 30 limits I tend to sit in 3rd & never trundle along in 5th for example.

Obviously theres going to be plenty of people on here that do all of the above anyway , all I'm stating is for me I've felt much more confident since these Obvious points were pointed out to me as a cocky teenager who thought he was bullet proof, by somebody more experienced than myself. So I'd like to think I'm an above average driver but as with anything theres always room for improvement.
Old 01 June 2003, 05:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Hotpants- point 3 is bad practise, changing from 5th to 3rd doesn't take that long ffs if it is required!

Part of good driving is to be good on the vehicle you are driving too.
Avoid unnecessary wear and tear where possible.

I always remember being told to arrive at a corner using the brakes more than the gearbox as brakes were cheaper.
Old 01 June 2003, 09:14 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with hotpants on point 3. I'd never over rev, but sometimes you need to be able to accelerate out of danger and sometimes there's no time for a gear change. Depends what you are driving I suppose, but 30mph in 3rd in my car equals 2000rpm which I find about right. Just my opinion...
Old 01 June 2003, 09:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Dave- if you follow points 1 & 2 then you wouldn't need to do 3.
Old 01 June 2003, 09:24 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

Very true Spoon - my reasons are maybe slightly more personal - I've got a Primera GT and find that in 4th gear 30mph equates to 1500rpm which causes it to be a mite jerky on the throttle. 3rd allows smoother progress in that one. However, I also drive a Mazda MX-5 in which 30mph equates to 1500rpm in 5th which it seems to be very happy with (because it's light?).
Old 01 June 2003, 09:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Dave- don't necessarily take the 5th gear thing as written, I was just pointing out that if you can sit comfortably in a higher gear then why not, the sticks only to the left.
Old 01 June 2003, 09:41 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I take your point.
Old 01 June 2003, 10:06 PM
CBR600F-T
Scooby Regular

Im a **** driver, its a miracle I ever make it home...
Old 02 June 2003, 10:46 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Maybe point 3 is something I've made up , can't remember if I was taught that , but It works for me & at 2000/2500 revs at 30 that suits me fine , car feels more responsive & happier.

Old 02 June 2003, 11:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It will do Hotty, it'll also be more expensive.
Old 02 June 2003, 11:11 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Some days I'm really good with my driving, other days I'm rubbish. Am I alone here?

:-)

Mike

Old 02 June 2003, 11:15 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

yes
Old 02 June 2003, 11:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd say I was a good driver, in the sense of safety and keeping within the limits of me and the car, very average as far as driving skill a la trackday, and very poor when considering speed limits
Old 02 June 2003, 11:16 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

The expense thing is fair enough I suppose , but I'm used to expense !!! I've had my scoob for 4 and a half years now!!!!!!
Old 05 June 2003, 10:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hotpants.

I think your method of sitting in a lower gear is good. The engine will actually be much happier at 2-2500 revs and as you say you have the response should you need it. There is less load on the engine and it will run more efficiently probably with a higher oil pressure too.

Les
Old 05 June 2003, 03:03 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Im a jeckle 'n' hide (not a chance of having spelled these correctly)

In a 30 zone, no matter if i was being spirited or chased or chasing in the previous miles. I will be extra carefull and be below camara flashing speed

On a national speed limit road im often a nutter, im not the sort of person who is frightend to have a car sliding at 80 'things per time period'.

Simon
Old 05 June 2003, 03:51 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Hotpants, I was taught point 3 by John Lyon of HPC. He would have probably wanted 2nd gear, so you'd be right in the most powerful rev range, but frankly, it's too loud and annoying for me, so 3rd it is.

I've been caught out by being in to higher gear before, mind - 40 in a 40 limit in 4th - and an old numpty duffer drives straight into the side of my car. I stepped on it when I realised he hadn't seen me or any of the 4 tailgaters following, but nowt happened. In 3rd, I could have probably cleared him and the person behind would have had 6 weeks of discourtesy car drudgery instead.