Sponsored by:

FAO: all imported impreza owners thinking of getting PPP

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2003, 11:30 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

As u r all no doubt aware by now if u have an EU import MY03 or STi8 and want to get it PPP'd you have to get it done in the country of origin the car came from.
Well, just an update but i've just had a call from the dealer that supplied my car in Holland and have been told it's 3000 euros to get the WRX done and 3500 euros for the sti, thats £2200 and £2800.....nightmare.

Rip off or wot....well i think thats put the Prodrive tuning route firmly at the bottom of the pile 4 me at least.

Just thought i'd let u all know.
Old 28 May 2003, 11:36 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

thinking about it, isnt there a guy thats pops on here every now and then from Prodrive ?? if so maybe he could let me know why its so much more to get your impreza PPP'd if your dutch......???? wasamatter don't like clogs...lol..seriously though i'd love to know why it's sooo much more.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:36 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

Makes a refreshing change for people to be complaining that European prices are a rip-off compared to UK ones!

I'm still waiting for a letter from Subaru Belgium to say I can have my PPP fitted in the UK and keep the warranty. I'm told I should have it by Friday. Still not clear whether this is a special case as they didn't have any PPP's available when I bought my car, or a general change in policy. Will post if/when I figure it out.

- Roger
Old 28 May 2003, 12:43 PM
integrale
Scooby Regular

that'd be brilliant.......a bottle of whatever u fancy will wing it's way over to u if u could let me know the outcome of all this.

cheers in advance.
Old 28 May 2003, 01:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Makes a refreshing change for people to be complaining that European prices are a rip-off compared to UK ones!
My thoughts entirely. You probably saved 3-4 grand importing, so having to spend 500 extra for a PPP still leaves you cash in pocket. Jeez, talk about wanting to have your cake AND eat it!
Old 28 May 2003, 08:59 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

It's Mike Wood from Prodrive IIRC. He talked about this before and it's not that Prodrive won't do it rather that IM (Subaru UK) won't honour the warranty unless the PPP is fitted at a dealer in the country of origin.

That is their right unfortunately and there's nothing that Prodrive can do about it since it's IM that provide the warranty to both UK and parallel import cars (I think the only reason they do it at all with EU cars is due to euro laws).
Old 28 May 2003, 09:26 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

I don't think that's quite the case.

Each warranty is covered by the country of origin - Dutch warranty claims are paid for by the Dutch importers, for example. The UK importers only act as agents, and presumably charge back the cost of repairs to the original country.

As for PPP, the way I figure it is that increasing the power of the engine increases - by some extent - the possibility of a warranty claim. The cost of the PPP includes an element to cover this extra risk. So if you buy a UK PPP for your Dutch car, then the UK importers are getting the extra profit, but the Dutch importers are taking the extra risk. Naturally, they're not too happy about this.