Sponsored by:

NOS KITS - BBC Top Gear !!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2003, 08:55 PM
Bignuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did anybody see my best mate on Top Gear 2nite - The Lad in the White T-Shirt Fitting the Nos Kit on the Jag -

I was advertising the Nos Kits for sale recnetly for £500 All In

They're fab

B.

Nos Info And Group Buy

[Edited by Bignuts - 5/25/2003 8:58:49 PM]
Old 25 May 2003, 09:28 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

yeah good to see the wizards of nos kits getting publicity..... think i met your mate up at max live last year, took a car from my m8s company with 3 11lb bottles in the boot, was somewhat extreme
Old 25 May 2003, 09:42 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

But has anyone got an FAQ to hand, I want some information on how much damage could be done and the frequency of such occurances!
Old 25 May 2003, 09:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

vroom, vroom, *BANG*

UB
Old 25 May 2003, 11:40 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Wink

Essentially the principal is the same as running a lot of boost.

If you have the right safety equipment (knocklink, AFR, EGT etc), a good enough fuel pump and a nice strong bottom end, you'll be fine. NOS in itself doesn't damage an engine, in the same way a turbo doesn't. But it DOES make a substantial change to the process going on inside each cylinder (in the same way a turbo does) and so must be installed by someone who knows your engine and knows how it will react to NOS.

If that makes sense?
Old 27 May 2003, 07:45 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

So basically you need some expensive engine strenghtening work done if you feel the need to use the NOS frequently.

Could you just do safer mods for the same price as above for similar gains? (prolly not as you cant bolt on 100bhp with anything else)

Comments please.....

Cheers
Daz.

Old 27 May 2003, 08:08 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Sorry but the above two posts are very wrong!

Nitrous is NOT like turbo at all. Turbo will increase the compression and importantly massively increase the heat generated.

One of the significant advantages of NOS is the fact that it can REDUCE the temperature of the incoming gases. It effectively acts as a "chemical supercharging". Some people seem to think it works like a turbo using the compressed gas in the bottle, but this is wrong. Usually the fuel you burn is mixed with common air that we breath. With NOS, the nitrous acts as an oxidiser and allows the fuel to burn more efficiently.

There is no good reason why Nitrous should cause an engine to blow up unless it was inherently weak in the first place. Most people are speaking from a position of complete ignorance.

See bikers threads. I ran an Yamaha FZR1000 with a Highpower Nitrous kit for 5 years with a bog stock engine and had nothing go wrong at all. It was used in numerous drag races and set competitive times. After 5 years the clutch was a bit tired but that was no fault of the nitrous.

If you want to know the truth about nitrous then don't listen to ill-informed gossip.

The only significant downside is getting hold of the gas and filling the bottles. That is a pain and can get expensive.

The other major advantager over a turbo is that Nitrous can be simply left completely switched off or even removed from the vehiclein a few hours with little trace (handy for MOTs etc). A turbo is there all the time causing permanent wear and tear whereas the Nitrous is only on when armed and used.

Nitrous is not inflammable. I once saw Trev extinguish a fire using a botle of gas. His best party trick was freezing a wasp in mid flight in the back of his coach! Gave it a hugh blast of gas that comes out at an incredibly low temperature and the wasp froze instantly.

Give him a call at HighPower and he can answer all questions.

Don't ask the tuning shops as they would much rather sell you a whole catalogue of other tuning bits.
Old 27 May 2003, 10:44 AM
Anonymous bob
Scooby Regular

crap is right... Guy I knowmhas nos in his na mr2, and it will run fine... Anything over that and you will need a progressive controller, which feeds it in at a safe rate. I am actually thinking of getting some 75 bhp jets, and controller..which should see me near the 400 bhp mark!! Wooo hoooo
Old 27 May 2003, 12:18 PM
P-Town_Scoob
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, saw those progressive controllers... sound like a good idea to me, can set
the start % of nos used
the final % of nos used
and the ramp up time...

That's gotta be better for your engine & drivetrain than an instant whack of power...