Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about the steering wheel styling - looks a bit plasticky for me

Looks smart
Old 13 May 2003, 05:24 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Oh **** - just gone the Skud 4x4 + remap route !
Looks a very good evolution.

BUT and a big BUT, will Subaru in the UK bring the Turbo in at first / at all ? I loved my original Legacy Turbo but they've missed two whole generations to concentrate on the Impreza .
Old 13 May 2003, 05:44 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Turbo is definitely coming at end of year.

Here's what Auto Express said last week (although I'm not saying it's all accurate).

Auto Express magazine has got its hands on the world's first pictures of the sensational new Subaru Legacy. Set to hit UK roads in September, the car will not be officially revealed until 23 May.

It's pitched as Japan's answer to the BMW 5-Series and Audi A6, and the pictures in the magazine clearly show that Subaru has retained the Legacy's basic shape, but sharpened the headlights, grille and bonnet to create a more dynamic appearance. The lamps share the teardrop design of the facelifted Impreza, while the tail-lights have been revised to give a more upmarket look. Newly appointed chief designer Andreas Zapatinas arrived too late to have any input into the car's exterior, but says the Legacy reflects the company view that all future Subarus will be based on a similar design.

Our source confirms the new range will employ a powerful version of the H6 3.0-litre engine from Subaru's Legacy Outback soft-roader. Developing around 250bhp, the unit will be mated to the firm's first-ever five-speed auto to offer sequential shifts. The new box will also be available on the 2.0-litre turbo, while a four-speed self-shifter will be reserved for normally aspirated 2.0-litre models. Meanwhile, a 2.5-litre turbo Legacy is destined for release in the US next year, alongside a 300bhp edition of the Impreza WRX STi and Forester turbo, both of which are due there in the autumn.
Other engine changes include the phasing out of the 280bhp twin-turbo 2.0-litre that powered the Japan-only Legacy B4. The new version, which will come to the UK, will instead feature a more efficient single booster with identical power - and this unit eradicates the lag between the sequential turbos.

The revised engine and exhaust will improve bottom-end torque and help deliver strong response from as low as 2,000rpm. The flagship turbo is also to feature a revised four-wheel-drive system. This transmission will split power 45:55 between front and rear axles. The 2.0-litre four-speed auto will use the current Impreza's Active Torque Split 4WD.

Insiders also say Subaru has added a revised engine mount between the body and the powerplant to restrict block movement and help improve refinement. A shorter rack should provide sharper steering responses, while front suspension revisions are also expected to help reduce understeer.

By employing a completely new dual exhaust system, Subaru has also been able to tone down the distinctive boxer sound, a move it feels will help attract a wider range of buyers. Brake response is now better thanks to a larger capacity booster and discs, again from the Impreza WRX STi.

Cabin quality has been improved significantly, with higher-grade plastics and a more Audi-like feel for the newcomer. MacIntosh, the world-renowned in-car stereo builder, designed the audio system for the outgoing Legacy and, for the all-new model, it has upgraded the unit. This means the six-CD/Mini-Disc system offers better mid-range sound. Prices for the car have yet to be announced, but are not expected to increase by much.

[Edited by KevMac - 5/13/2003 5:45:23 PM]
Old 13 May 2003, 08:21 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Any hear the phrase 'premium pricing' passing across the lips of International Motors.

What do we reckon for a well-specced Turbo estate ?

I'll start the bidding at £25995
Old 13 May 2003, 09:54 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Very impressive - tempted by this in the absence of an Impreza STi 8 estate.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2003, 10:02 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

why couldnt they make the new impreza as aggressive as that..!!!

Old 13 May 2003, 10:29 PM
JonGould
Scooby Regular

if hey would have styled the imprezza like that then i would be buying a new one. at the moment i am eally not keen on the sti 8, the bugeye i didnt like but it grew on me and the classic is the one to have...

but that legacy i would definitly have over any impreza bar a classic, even then it would be close...
Old 13 May 2003, 10:31 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

The turbo version should throw down the gauntlet for the new breed of uber-estates such as the Audi S and RS models.
Old 13 May 2003, 11:48 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice,the nose is very nice
Harry Boy i'm with you, no STI Wagon
Simon
Old 14 May 2003, 05:25 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How does 280ps and torque peak at 2400rpm hit ya?

Oh, and it's a single twinscroll, the twin is binned

It's gonna be be fairly quick
Old 14 May 2003, 08:15 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Being the anorak I am, I studied those photos of the wheels, and noticed that the fronts only have crappy sliding caliper brakes!

Not very inspiring. However, we love our old single turbo legacy saloon, and I'd consider one of the new hot ones over a WRX anyday!!
Old 14 May 2003, 08:21 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Flat 4x4, I'll bid a lot nearer £30000 if not over, If its as the article says aimed at the M5 & Audi A6 together with IM policy of overpricing, The basic model will be less but a good spec will cost loads as usual
Dosent the Saloon look remarkably Audi'ish from the back !!!!!!!!

[Edited by Stuart J - 5/14/2003 8:21:46 AM]
Old 14 May 2003, 10:13 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Looking good... In the never ending "what should I drive next" debate that goes on in my head..and bores the wife to tears, I'm hanging my hopes on the new Legacy estate being a nice bit of kit. Drove an Accord Tourer the other day and it just didn't do it for me. If they bring out a Type R version it may be a different story.

Hopefully IM will offer a hot version of the Legacy wagon at launch, be it an STi or a tricked up Turbo. Knowing their track record on identifying what the punter wants (STi Wagon anyone?), we may be kept waiting.

Old 14 May 2003, 10:31 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I must be getting old. I think the wagon is nicer looking than the saloon
Old 14 May 2003, 04:45 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

From the apexJapan site:

2003/05/14 - The Best to get Better
Well, with the high expectations of expectant parents, lovers of reasonably priced, sensible sports sedans and indecently quick station wagons/estates are starting to froth at the mouth. The cause being of course, the forthcoming Subaru flagship, the Legacy.

Pictures and vague details of the next Legacy have been circulating for some time now and the wait is starting to wear on the patience of many. While we can only beg of you to be patient, the new car promises advancements on every aspect of it's already highly regarded balance of performance, utility
and safety. The launch scheduled for the 23rd of this month, but the restrictions placed upon us reporting on the car's performance and other details don't lift for a few weeks.

So, what are the areas that promise so much? Well, lighter weight and greater safety through the use of advanced production methods and materials result in a shell of higher rigidity and freed the development team to apportion more effort to dealing with other details, all of which come together to create the cars you have seen to date. We are told that the new body style not only looks more aerodynamic, but offers genuine progress in that area too. However, as usual, most of the things that matter when you are behind the wheel are not apparent in the pictures, and we believe that these improvements on their own mean we can look forward to significantly better NVH.

The interior has come in for special treatment and should be great place to get on with the job of piloting this quicker (than before because it's lighter), and better handling (than before because it's lighter) family car (just reminding everyone that the Legacy is not a full-on sports car, even though performance figures for the turbos over the years may suggest otherwise). The much awaited smaller steering wheel combined with a heavily revised manual transmission will provide plenty of "sport" for the committed driver. But the big news is for those who want their cake, and to eat it too. The new 5 speed automatic transmission promises to offer a comfy whoosh when transporting the in-laws, and enough zoom for dad (or mum!) on the way home. The premium McIntosh audio is further upgraded for those moments when the engine is revving low enough to be heard.

Oh, and did we forget the engines? As has been mentioned, the twin turbo is retired to make way for a twin scroll turbo that offers up enough torque at 2400rpm to pull many a stump. Peak power figures remain the same for both automatic and manual versions, but the secrets of the improvements lie not in just output numbers. The engine has been heavily revised in all areas and not much is carried over bar the EJ layout. The lower engine mounting position means that the drivetrain will be aligned better, which should mean improved drivetrain NVH. A secret engine mount modification has also been made that has us wondering what to expect. And with lower mounting points, the already low CG goes lower yet. And as everyone knows, a lower CG has never hurt anyone, or done anything bad for handling.

Bigger tyre and wheel packages should contribute to handling, and suspension revisions are said to be extensive.

Don't forget the NA option, which, as can be seen from the numbers being developed by the 2.0NA, the whole engine range has been given a significant revamp. While the outputs will always favour the turbo models, the NA models will be very worthy options judging by the cheaper running costs and decent performance they will offer, while most of the high end options will likely be available.

So in brief we are talking about a strengthening of the Legacy offer on all levels. Featuring lighter weight, less noise, more comfort, better fuel economy (and emissions), improved safety, and significantly improved all round handling and performance, the ingredients are all there for a maestro performance by the king of the mid-size market in Japan.

Subaru is really showing that growing up does not have to equate to more of anything but "good" things.