Sponsored by:

so what does a blown turbo cost?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 08:59 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

There have been lots of posts on here recently and in the past about the potential pitfalls of going for a full decat or a remapped ECU/EcuTEK/MoTec, especially along the lines of 'THIS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY'

I'm in the same boat as many others am beginning to wonder whether the warranty is worth it at all (particularly since my car is an MY02 parallel import WRX).

I'd like to go full decat (currently centre section decat plus backbox) and TEK3, but I'd like to get an idea of the cost of repairs to me if I had no warranty - should it all go up in smoke!!

So does anyone know what the potential damage could be? How much does a (new) replacement turbo unit cost? Or other typical repairs after a blown turbo disaster? ...

any wise words appreciated ...
Old 13 May 2003, 09:14 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

A blown turbo would be a lesser (and unlikely) consequence of engine modifications. The more likely damage would occur as a result of detonation - this typically destroys the engine (ie melted piston, broken con-rod, etc). Expect a repair bill of an eye-watering £3-5k. However, as long as you have the mods installed by a professional who is able to set-up the ECU re-map properly and you run quality fuel, major engine failure is unlikely.

D.
Old 13 May 2003, 09:30 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Dont think ive heard of a blown turbo on a scoob. Very rare.

The actual mods you do will increase the load on the turbo / bearings, but as long as you cool it down properly and use good oil, it'll probably last a long time. More than the choccy pistons!

MB
Old 13 May 2003, 09:37 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

My MY01 had a new Turbo under warranty due to a noisy actuator and it was £1600 fitted.
Before you say all that just for a faulty actuator, it comes only as part of a complete turbo unit.
Which i wasnt complaining about as my car had covered 15k and had a nice new turbo.

Zippy
Old 13 May 2003, 09:55 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice guys

looks like I'll be continuing to use Optimax and good oil, and get the TEK3 done by eg. Scoobysport or John Banks or someone