ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sti iii paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2000, 12:22 AM
JON HUGHES
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laurie
I don't think you will have a problem with the crankshaft on track days,it's only when you uprate the clutch(allegedly eh moray).

The only problem with track days will be your brakes.As you probably know there are several solutions to this problem.

The torque does seem a bit down and high up the rev range,what did P.E say?

There are loads of tunning options available, but start by fitting the exh you have and then a down pipe(take your pick, ss probably best for the money).
cheers jon
p.s i've got apexi cone fillter for sti3 gathering dust inn my garage.
Old 13 February 2000, 12:52 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Laurie,

Your torque is certainly down, and like Jon says, a little high. What boost do you get, peak, and held.

The STi3's are reputed to be very strong, so it should be fine. They also have a bigger turbo (VF23, I think) which will spin up a bit slower, but holds on well.

The HKS exhaust will give you loads more, but is pretty loud. Definately do the down pipe, but not the HKS one. I've tried it, and the Scoobysport is much quieter, and gives more power.

Do that, and try Jons air filter, I think you'll be surprised.

Then all you need is a Possum ecu , and 300bhp/280ftlbs +, is easily possible.

Definately sort the brakes out, particuarly for track days.

Mark.
Old 13 February 2000, 11:34 AM
Laurie Fisk
Scooby Regular

Question

Is my ver iii sti capable of being driven hard at track days.Owned 2 months,30k miles std apart from KN panel filter,tested 285 bhp@7410 rpm on 13/12/99 at PE although low torque? of 224lb/ft @4250peak.All this chat re 97 octane,weak crankshaft,etc,etc is causing concern,especially as my mate is intending to "run what yah brung" with his new evo vi.Any replies regarding sensible mods (if any).Ps have HKS SD rear and mid section as part of original deal.To fit or not?
Old 13 February 2000, 01:32 PM
Laurie Fisk
Scooby Regular

Talking

First post and 2 good replies,impressed already.Did not have time to go through RR test with PE but they rectified "common" overboost engine cut on quick throttle by reducing from 19psi to 14.Car now drives well but exhibits same actual characteristics as PE graph suggest ie need to spool up well in advance for 2nd/3rd gear roundabout work then all is fine when warp drive kicks in.Actual torque fig is my interpretation as not given in figures from PE.Waiting to fit Mintex 1155s on std 4 pots then considering Brembos.
John will be in touch re apexi filter.
Old 13 February 2000, 03:02 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Laurie,

Do you have a boost gauge, or are the figures from PE.

I'm only guessing, but it sounds like they may have taken the restrictor out. This would kill any/most of the overboost, but also delay low down boost. Do you have a 2, or a 3 way solenoid.

"just" removing the restrictor, is a naff way of solving too much overboost. 14psi is very low, it also explains why your torque is so low.

Mail me off line.

Mark.
Old 13 February 2000, 08:36 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Laurie,

I too have an sti3, and awesome it is too! Oulton Park track day is fast approaching 19/2/00. My sti is standard, except HKS panel filter and plugs, also running with M1155's on the front. The track day is organised by the Afla Romeo Club North West, but the field contains anthing from cossie's upto F355's and F360's. Sh*t should be one hell of a day!!

I was talking to a chap down at DP Motorsport yesterday he has several vehicles he uses for track days (and more money then Beckham - probably) His main vehicle is a Porsche 930 Turbo modified to 600BHP, the car was there too, - awesome machine, It had just done a photo shoot for the new "not yet released" Pirelli PZero;s, he said that Pirelli had to stop the production line to get the tyres out to him on time (hence they cost 2k a piece) the 911 has been clocked at Santa Pod at 218mph, and sub 10s 1/4 milers.
It's going for the world record this year 241mph currently held by the Mclaren-F1,- once the aerodynamics have been sorted!

Sorry I digress, One of his other cars is an Evo VI. On track last year a Scooby was trying to follow his line, unfortunatly the scooby lost it on a bend and was trashed. So he warned me not to try and hold the same speed and line thru' the corners if I was following any Evo VI's.

Btw. I've been using SUL + proboost in my STi, I mentioned this too him and his jaw hit the deck, he told me that he had done extensive testing of variuos Octane boosters, and Pro Boost did n't fair too well as it generally caused the engine to run excessively hot and could cause problems with no.3 cylinder. He recommeded Millers VSL which gave an extra 3 octanes and did n't cause any excessive heat build up. in fact the engine ran cooler and produced more BHP. - i think I'll do a separate post on that subject.

I'll let you know how I got on at Oulton.

cheers

Howie

[This message has been edited by Howie (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 13 February 2000, 09:16 PM
Laurie Fisk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Done the deal with JH on apexi induction kit and had to drive all of 20 minutes to his house.A 15 minute chat with a co owner of the same model type proved very interesting.Howie, in regards to octane boost i would agree using millers in pref to any other.Various e mails have come through regarding PE fix of overboost,I will be answering all in attempt to rectify low torque dilemma
Old 13 February 2000, 09:36 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Laurie,

Good luck, look forward to the results of the
low boost and torque.

I must get mine dynoed soon, but PE, is a bit far from Manchester, and have n't found a suitable place up north yet! any recommendations?

cheers
Howie

[This message has been edited by Howie (edited 13-02-2000).]
Old 16 March 2000, 12:52 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Laurie,

A recent dyno on mine at P+E gave 293bhp at 7093 and 268lbs/ft torque at 3850, standard except HKS plugs and old panel filter.

btw boost was 16psi max holding 14psi

cheers
Howie

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 16-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 16 March 2000, 01:11 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Howie,
Is the Porsche from DP Motorsport a silvery green colour?
Mike
PS. I don't think it has done 218mph at Santa Pod though....

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 16 March 2000, 01:14 PM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mike yep, but reading the post again, and speaking to quite a few other people and listening to their opinions I might have been suckered for some exaggerated bull!
Old 16 March 2000, 01:15 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Now then, leave those Porkers alone you naughty man!
Old 16 March 2000, 03:29 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howie,
I think you'll find that he has exagerated beyond belief! This is the car that I finished second in class to at this year's UFC. He posted an incredible 12.02s standing quarter at just over 120mph - not bad for rear wheel drive! However, it is only using the old four-speed box to cope with the torque...

Traction is obviously helped by having the engine in the wrong place... However, I did hear him saying that it was more like a genuine 540bhp than the figures he has plastered over it!
LOL
Mike
Old 16 March 2000, 10:18 PM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Question

Sorry to get on the band wagon and get away from the original point...but octane boosters ...do some work for some STi,s and others work for others???? Iv got an STI V and run silkolene pro boost, would i be better off with something else???

Cheers

Rog L

[This message has been edited by Rog L (edited 16-03-2000).]
Old 17 March 2000, 01:26 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Rog,

Why not start a thread specific to your question, it will generate more interest that way.
Old 19 March 2000, 09:39 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mike - there's nothing like hitting the nail on the head, eh!

Cheers for the lowdown
Howie
Old 19 March 2000, 09:53 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

I guess we should avoid DP Motorsport tuning products then
Old 20 March 2000, 12:59 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

eeeek!

Sunilp, you cannot broadcast that! I've found DP ok, the Porsche in question was a customer of DP's, DP had done a lot of work on the motor as well as the sister co. 930 Motorsport. DP cannot be held responsible for a customer of theirs who is a bit over enthusiastic with his words!

Having said that, I'll choose more wisely in future, after speaking with Paul Webber over the internet, I'll give C+K a try next time round!

cheers
H
Old 20 March 2000, 01:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

sunilp,

Well at least I appreciated your leg-pull smiley!

Moray