ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2000, 05:47 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As part of 15k service had a strut brace fitted (as well as Pipercross induction kit and mintex pads - both superb see thread in relevant areas).

Always been very sceptical about strut braces on road cars, but I can't believe the improvement a £35 metal pipe has made to the handling of the car. More sure-footed, all but eliminated understeer...highly recommended.

Bought from Demon Tweeks - again highly recommend to anyone who hasn't been - very helpful honest and knowledgable plus great showroom (including a number of ex-race cars - Martini Lancia Monte-Carlo, Ratzenberger's M3 etc etc).

Old 19 March 2000, 07:40 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Gary

Also recently fitted strur brace from DT. Simple 10min job. I opted for Sparco version as it is contoured to fit around as opposed to over intercooler.
Improvement is obviously very subjective but car just feels more "together"

I also had the recommended geometry check - spot on - is it necessary ?

I always thought they were a bit "max power" but I am a convert now

John (another happy customer of DT)
Old 19 March 2000, 07:42 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Oops.

[This message has been edited by DocJock (edited 19-03-2000).]
Old 19 March 2000, 08:26 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 19 March 2000, 08:53 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Smile

The strut brace just transfers load from one place to another, its not really adding very much in terms if stiffening. The shell is pretty stiff to start with and the effectiveness of a brace that is 'bent' to get round or over the intercooler is even less. Still can't argue they look damn good and for the modest price must be worth it even if only for the percieved improvement
Old 20 March 2000, 07:32 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the pink/aluminium STi Strut braces front and rear and they have made a big improvement in the cars handling. Being a 5dr it benefits from the rear brace much more than other impreza derivatives which have rear bulkheads behind the seats. The front strut is not bent around the intercooler but goes above it. I agree that understeer has been reduced while as the car seems to give more in corners, you can feel the suspension working harder, while as before the car would feel as though it was about to wash away now it seems to dig in. I do not believe these are just subjective improvements!

Remember, although Richard Burns' car has no strut brace, it has instead a great thick roll cage and seam welded chasis!!!

I never thought of the accident scenario. Perhaps I ought to declare the braces to the insurance company as it would be a perfect opt out scenario for them...thanks for the pointer!!