Sponsored by:

Neighbour scratched my new sti

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2003, 11:59 AM
Andyv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I’m looking for a little advice, as my spatially unaware neighbour has scratched my 1 week old sti! Ggrrrrrrrr She claims it wasn’t her and refuses to even check my car or hers with me, but it’s clear the paint and marks on the bumper obviously match.

What are my options? I have taken photos of both cars/bumpers. Is there a standard way of approaching insurance to minimise costs and risks etc?

Thanks

Andy
Old 18 April 2003, 12:29 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Call the police - ask them to come round to check it out.
Old 18 April 2003, 12:37 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I would call the Cops, I had to phone them because the neighbours brat was bounceing his ball of my car. They were very helpfull.
Old 18 April 2003, 12:37 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

yup,police if she won't even look at the evidence, don't leave it though!!
Old 18 April 2003, 12:42 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Was your car parked on your driveway?

I ask because a while ago some human turd reversed into my car in a supermarket car park and drove off. Fortunately, someone more publically spirited witnessed the incident, took their number and left the details under my wiper blade. I went to the police with the info only to be told they couldn't take the matter further because the incident happened on private property.

Cheers
Kav
Old 18 April 2003, 12:59 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Surely if it occurred on Private property that person is guilty of trespass? I'd do EVERYTHING in my power to get pay back. Good luck.

Although on the flip side I was accused of hitting a stationary vehicle by a man in my girlfriends street. A neighbour witnessed the incident and claimed it was my car. It wasn’t me and in fact I was in London that day. After the man threatened to call the police I told him to go ahead. He did of course back down. On a side note he deserved EVERYTHING he got, the guy parks over a foot from the curb, which I understand means it isn’t legally parked.
Old 18 April 2003, 01:21 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

The private property thing went out the window about 10 years ago ,vehicles must be driven with due care etc ,even off road ,thats why you need exemptions to go racing /rallying etc.
Old 18 April 2003, 03:55 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Confirm that Mark: A Supermarket Car Park is a place to which the public have acces and hence the Road Traffic Acts apply. However, if there isn't an offence revealed - and hence it's a common law matter - the Police won't help. Only likely offences, one minor and the other deniable, are "without due care and attention" (but damage only 'minor' - howsoever annoying to you) and "leaving the scene of an accident" (deniable "didn't know"). Solicitor-land, this, and probably not worth while......????

Phil
Old 18 April 2003, 04:16 PM
Brett P1
Scooby Regular

You could do all the above OR you could ********************************b)Ring the local branch of the Jehovah's witnesses pretend your her and invite them round, as you are very interested in joining up..! ***********************do something really dasterdly like Breaking into her house one night winding all the clocks back 2 hours so she will be late for work get the sack and will no longer be able to afford to live next door to you and end up in a halfway house..!!! These are my views anyway! Cheers

[Edited by Josh L - 4/19/2003 10:46:42 AM]
Old 18 April 2003, 05:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
re supermarket, surely there has been an offence committed if she didnt leave her details behind, like arent you required to do that by law at least?
Old 18 April 2003, 05:21 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would call the police, but tell her that you are about to do so, this may change her mind, if not do it while your in front of her on a mobile....that should move things along
Old 18 April 2003, 05:26 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife
****Edited to remove unacceptable and illegal suggestion****

[Edited by PALATINE - 4/19/2003 8:17:23 AM]

[Edited by Josh L - 4/19/2003 10:48:01 AM]
Old 18 April 2003, 08:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope your photos are on film not digital camera. Apparently only the former are evidence.
Old 18 April 2003, 09:01 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Cool

>You could do all the above OR you could a)**********************b)Ring the local branch of the Jehovah's witnesses pretend your her and invite them round, as you are very interested in joining up..! c)*********************or do something really dasterdly like Breaking into her house one night winding all the clocks back 2 hours so she will be late for work get the sack and will no longer be able to afford to live next door to you and end up in a halfway house..!!! These are my views anyway! Cheers
ROFPMSL

[Edited by Josh L - 4/19/2003 10:49:03 AM]
Old 19 April 2003, 02:50 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar problem. Someone hit my car in a side road and like on another reply, someone left a note with the reg no. etc etc. Told the police and they were ****in useless, the insurance company were useless as well. The owner of the car would not admit to who was driving so the police or the insurance company wouldn't do a thing.

It was a grand's worth of damage as well
Old 19 April 2003, 08:49 AM
Andyv
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice. Fortunately my photos are not digital, though I took some with the digital camera aswell to be sure.

I'm pondering options, but in the mean time am seriously blunting up my biggest spoon.

Andy
Old 19 April 2003, 09:41 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

<B>The owner of the car would not admit to who was driving </B>

Can this be correct? So any accident I have where I drive off and do not admit who was driving I can get away with?
Old 19 April 2003, 09:49 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Only if there's two of you in the car and each of you says the other was driving. See report in today's (Saturday) Times concerning Pensioner killed by a car, probably reported in other papers. It's the same defence as allows parents to escape charges of murdering a child......

Phil