Sponsored by:

Warranty Issue - Vertical scratches on drivers window

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2003, 04:20 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So I've tried to take this up with a garage twice now and they keep fobbing my off. Is there someone at the head office I can speak with to get this sorted out? I've heard of other people getting replacement glass, why can't I? Is there a 'fix' for it?

Out of all the cars I own this is the only one that I know does it (P1), surely it's a manufacturing fault...

Help...
Old 17 April 2003, 04:33 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a fault. Mine has them on both front windows (MY00). I have no warranty unfortunately as it is a parallel import. . and modified

My drivers side window clonks around when I open it and has a kind of free-fall area half way down, where if you try to stop it, it keeps going down all on its own.
Old 17 April 2003, 04:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Had drivers side replaced under the extanded warranty (MY99). The passenger side is being done at the next service.

sorry I can't be any more help
Old 17 April 2003, 04:44 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mines going in on 30th for the exact same problem (MY00). I noticed it starting a few weeks back. I mentioned the word "warranty" when booking it in, to which I was given the answer - "if it's scratched due to a faulty mechanism then it's covered, if it's due to sand or grit inside the seals then it's not" Didn't mention about actually getting the glass replaced under warranty. The mechanism is pretty jerky as it winds up and down!

Either way I have never heard of another car getting scratched windows through grit etc. So if grit has got in there then the seals must be faulty, hence new seal and new window under the warranty!

Try searching on here there are some other threads I found on this where people have had the glass replaced under warranty.

Hope it gets sorted

Graz.
Old 17 April 2003, 07:33 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Ooo didn't know the extended warranty covered this... I shall be having words with my friendly dealer as mine has quite a bad patch of this...

Andy
Old 17 April 2003, 07:44 PM
JonDBM
Scooby Regular

I have just got my MY99 back from the local dealer having had all 4 windows replaced due to vertical scratches on the windows. If they are about an inch wide roughly in the middle of the window on the fronts and near the forward edge on the rears, then this is the problem they know about - at least it is what had happened to mine. I got the dealer to ring the extended warranty people twice. On the second time, he also mentioned that there had been a bulletin from subaru Japan (in his words sent to every dealership) regarding the known fault with the guides in the door that can wear down and cause scratches to occur. He faxed it to them to prove it was a known fault. They fit new extended bushes that relieve the problem, and replace the glass. As one front glass is about £180 + VAT on its own without the labour charge of taking door apart and refitting this is quit a lot of money!

Jon.

Edited to say - before this mod - my windows rattled around in the doors when partly down whereas now they are rock solid.

[Edited by JonDBM - 17/04/2003 19:45:58]

[Edited by JonDBM - 17/04/2003 19:50:15]
Old 17 April 2003, 08:22 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

JonDBM -- That is exactly the problem! I might have got somewhere tonight with the dealership in Fenny Compton. The chap said that the drivers door is too far gone to be polished out and would need replacing (is this too good to be true???)

I've noticed a few scratches on the passenger doors window now, I'm going to push for that one if this one gets accepted. Will let ppl know

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2003, 11:27 PM
trugoy
Scooby Regular

MYOO, also have this on both front windows, warranty ran out Jan this year and have not extended but could this not be proved to be a manufactures fault and sorted for nowt (thinking of persistent followers ot the piston slap cause on the MY98) this really should not happen to your windows, ever, a three year old car should be well exempt no?
Old 18 April 2003, 09:21 AM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

Mickle - if ur car is still under warranty, insist they replace any defective glass along with the guide pads. We've replaced a fair few now and subaru accept it as a fault!
Old 18 April 2003, 10:47 AM
Brett P1
Scooby Regular

Just had my drivers side window replaced under warranty no if's or but's! only problem the passenger side window has now developed the same scratches! b@llocks!
Old 18 April 2003, 10:50 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, so what I need are longer, newer guide pads and two new windows. Lets see how I get on...
Old 18 April 2003, 10:33 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Had the same on mine, both driver's and passenger's. One dealer tried to rectify fault and charged me for the pleasure (they didn't fix it), took it back and they said it was a known fault and nothing they can do.

Customer service anyone?
Old 20 April 2003, 05:30 PM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had both front windows done under warranty, had to get pics sent to Japan before they would OK it.
Old 21 April 2003, 11:33 PM
trugoy
Scooby Regular

recent thread on this, search for

Warranty Issue - Vertical scratches on drivers window
Old 21 April 2003, 11:38 PM
trugoy
Scooby Regular

I have just sent a thread to this thread, maybe I should go to bed???? They are all bastsrds, don't forget that.
Old 22 April 2003, 09:47 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

IMHO, this happens on all window-frame less doors.

My MR2 had scratches all down the drivers window - it came from the little sponges that guided the windows down, when they had loads of road grit attached to them.

Not much I could do to stop it
Old 22 April 2003, 12:02 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

i'll be speakin to my dealer shortly too then while the extended warrantys still effective...
Old 22 April 2003, 01:13 PM
Scoobygit
Scooby Regular

Scoobmeister...

I INSIST!!! On having my scratched front off-side window & guides replacing please!!!!

I'll buzz you later mate,

Jon
Old 22 April 2003, 01:49 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

hmmm, just rang dealer, they said they've never had them replaced under extended warranty and were a bit stand-offish.

seemingly they need to inspect the damage before putting a claim in which is fair enuf but suggested it was grit. hmmm...
Old 22 April 2003, 02:21 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Mine is a MY98 and had this on it when I purchased it a couple of months ago, it is out of warrenty, but if it is an aknowledged fault, surely they should replace it? What do you reakon, worth a go?
Old 22 April 2003, 02:29 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

soobmeister - d'yer work at a dealers ? can you get yer hands on the aforementioned bulletin and share it with us peeps ?

hey, shy bairns get nowt...
Old 22 April 2003, 02:48 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Is it possible to get the bigger bush things for this as a "self fit" thing - I've got a MY96 that's out of warranty, and I don't want to get scratched glass if there's an easy fix....
Old 23 April 2003, 07:19 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I too have had the same problem on my MY00.

Took my motor to Lavender Hill and they insist that as I have not only vertical scratches but also some other sratches on the passenger sides window.

ITS NOT COVERED!

!!!!WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!!
Old 28 April 2003, 02:31 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

had the car serviced on friday, mentioned the scratches on front windows, dealer was only too pleased to submit claim for scratched front windows under extended warranty.

heard back today - warranty people are recommending front two windows being replaced and guide pads all way round.

usual excellent service from Gilesgate Ltd in Hexham...
Old 28 April 2003, 02:45 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

nice one!

same as I had done.