Sponsored by:

Really putting your foot down...

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2003, 11:54 AM
slacker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memoirs from an idiotic day:

Going pretty fast up this real steep dual carriageway to the in-laws (just me in the car) and in front was an Acura 3.2 or 3.5 (can’t remember), anyway it was basically taking the biscuit out of my 800cc Daewoo Matiz by deliberately changing into the right-hand lane. This well and truly pee’d me off because it took me something like 20 minutes to build up the speed I was doing and I had to slow right down. The thing is there were no other cars around and then the basket sped off but not at light-speed but fast enough to tell me “I won’t let no Matiz overtake me!” I thought “Right, I’ll get this tw@t”. I then proceeded to use my nitrate turbo booster (that’s the air-con ‘OFF’ button), changed down and went after him in the Korean bullet (I know the road very well and knew I’d be able to do something on the way down).

After slaving to the top of the climb, there he was in the left-hand lane going moderately fast. I guess he saw me coming up behind him and so put his foot on the gas with me obliging by foot to the floor (the dual carriageway slopes down very steeply and goes into a wicked but nice left-hand bend). There we were both caning it down but I was actually going faster than this Acura around the bend and so went to overtake him because he was bottling it as I could see his break-lights being dabbed. This ***** then moved to the middle and was driving in both lanes! I couldn’t believe it so I squeezed through (the Matiz is good in tight places). I didn’t have eyes to simultaneously look at his crying face and to keep all four wheels affixed to the road as I was overtaking but I know he must have been really grieving it. After over taking the *****, he was forced to go back into the left lane and dropped back. The traffic lights had turned red at the bottom and cars were already starting to pile up. I had to slam on my anchors and pulled the hand-break to make sure of stopping before running out of tarmac since these cars have a mile stopping distance at 70mph. Judging by the way the Matiz was screeching and how the back end was waving around I knew it would be tight so I had to do the needful thing and pull into the right-hand lanes (lanes to turn right) since there were no cars in those lanes otherwise it could have been an expensive backend-job. After coming safely to a halt I tried to look completely professional (yeah as if) and normal (as normal as possible under the circumstances) and when the lights changed to green I casually turned right (although the way to the in-laws was straight on) but who cares because I was only too pleased to see that ***** in the Acura being gob-smacked .

I wouldn’t dream of doing that in my brand new STi…not against an Acura but maybe against a Diablo

Anyone else got any wacky but true bedtime stories?
Old 17 April 2003, 12:02 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

The wackiest thing about that is how pulling handbrake assists a safe slowing down surely if u feel locking up wood best slow down then u stamp on pedal (if no ABS?) My old man said he put handbrake on when he had hairy moment on roundabout WTF???
Oh well yer guna get flamed 4 norty driving anyway but that comment struck me as strange?
Si
Old 17 April 2003, 12:06 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

well people do do strange things in the heat of the moment like when they're about to crash (I know the soft ABS in the car were working though)!..LOL
Old 17 April 2003, 12:22 PM
St Andy
Scooby Regular

Ripping up the handbrake to stop quicker? ooooooookay then!! Blimey, you were in a Matiz an extreemly foul car, and you have the cheek to slate the guy in the Acura! Bloody stupid racing other cars anyway, one day you could kill somebody or yourself, grow a brain mate.
Old 17 April 2003, 12:24 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

'After coming safely to a halt I '

I hate to see you having a ' dangerous ' braking incident !

Well done for doing the road hog
Old 17 April 2003, 12:31 PM
slacker
Scooby Regular

yes dad st. andy....I did say idiotic day!!!