Buying a 2nd hand scoob: Dealership vs Trader

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2003, 10:34 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys,

Seriously hoping to get myself a MY99/00 Turbo soon but am undecided as to which route to go down. The way I see it, I either wait for my local dealer to get the right one in and that way they check it over etc and I get 1 years warranty. Or, buy one from a trader/private that looks as good as I can get and then buy a warranty from Subaru.. Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 14 April 2003, 10:44 AM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

I was having this same debate with myself over the last couple of weeks, eventually I decided that buying a used Subaru Proven car from a main dealer was the way to go.

Firstly you get a comprehensive 12 month warranty and european recovery assistance. Secondly you know it's not been f*cked about with and will be pretty much standard. It will have had a main dealer service history. Also you cannot buy a Subaru warranty on a non dealer car, even if you have them inspec it - I checked this on Friday with my local dealer.

Keep hitting the Subaru web site used car finder - there's not a whole lot of 99/00 models out there at the moment but something will come up before long.

I bought a 99 mica green wagon on Saturday from Donalds of Peterborough - picking it up Saturday morning, can't wait!
Old 14 April 2003, 11:13 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ah, the peace of mind versus cash saving dilemma.
If you can afford dealer prices then that's the road for peace of mind. Don't forget though that under warranty you will need to pay dealer servicing prices as well. Two services a year totalling around 600 notes
Buying private is cheaper all round, and you can choose who services it for you (saving lots of the folding stuff) but can you be sure of the car's history?
I went the dealer route and haven't looked back but if you search Scoobynet there are loads of threads and plenty of nice folk who may help you buy private.

Whatever you do, you'll be getting a great car that's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
Old 14 April 2003, 11:22 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I think you are pretty much confirming what I was thinking.... Saving a little cash would be nice but to be honest I'd far prefer the peace of mind that comes with a dealer warranty. For the sake of resale and keeping a good history I will no doubt go to the dealer for servicing so it'll probably work out the same.. Just tried the Proven car search and there's not a single pre-Bug eye on there:|. Oh well - I'll keep searching....

Cheers,

Tony
Old 14 April 2003, 11:36 AM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

Where u based?

Keep looking spread your wings a bit and dont limit yourself to your local dealer - I bought mine from a dealer which was over 65 miles from home.
Old 14 April 2003, 11:41 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

are you the real Dillinga?
astraboy.
Old 14 April 2003, 11:46 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Goon - Surrey based. Definitely prepared to travel (went Wales to get my current car!). The proven Subaru search looks as if it lists all dealer cars or perhaps its just limited to my postcode....

Astraboy - do you mean Dillinja - Drum 'n' Bass artist?? If so, no.
Old 14 April 2003, 11:49 AM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

First screen there's a checkbox for dealer or national search. I bought mine 90 miles from home, and was about to drive up to West Yorks to look at another one before they sold it!
Old 14 April 2003, 11:52 AM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

For what Subaru dealers were asking for MY99/00s I got a Y reg 1 owner mint MY01 'Classic' with FSSH, and 17 months factory warranty left on it from a Newbury trader. This meant I could have aircon and low miles.

It's different story once the car is over 3 years old I'll admit but while the car is still under factory warranty it doesn't matter who you buy the car off as long as it's straight and HPi clear.
Old 14 April 2003, 12:32 PM
JonDBM
Scooby Regular

What I did when I bought my MY99 was to buy a car that still had 6 months of Subaru's first 3 years of warranty on it. If you were to get a classic MY00 privately, it should still have a few months of Subaru warranty left. This means you get a cheaper car, and the balance of the manufacturer warranty. You can then buy the 2 year extension capped at 60k miles for £388 including Subaru assistance breakdown recovery.

If you were to buy an MY99 used car from a dealer that comes with the 1 year dealer warranty, I think I'm right in saying you could then only extend the warranty by a year at a time - and at more expense. This is what happened to a mate of mine when he bought an S reg MY99. The year from the dealer expired after the 3 year original warranty and so there are different rules for extension.

Jon.

Edited to say - travel far and wide to find the right car. I am based in Berkshire and flew up to Aberdeen to drive my chosen car home from a private sale - which incidently was done on this very BBS!

[Edited by JonDBM - 4/14/2003 12:34:04 PM]
Old 14 April 2003, 12:37 PM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know.

You can extend the warranty to manu. level if the car is less than 3 yrs old - I did.

You can then still get a warranty, but not manu. level cover.

James
Old 14 April 2003, 01:23 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Husaberk,

The last classics were MY00. It may have been purchased in 2001 but that doesn't make it an MY01 car 'cus isn't that the start of the bugeye models?

I managed to get the last new 4-door classic which I registered July 2001. There are later ones which were 5-doors or P1's I believe.
Old 14 April 2003, 01:46 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Sooby

I must admit I'm confused myself, HPi said it's year of manufacture was 2001 which is backed up by the model code entry on the nearside under bonnet plate. Which means I could argue it's a MY01 but the spec and obviously the shape is identical to MY00. Local dealer confirms it's genuine car but it's matter of opinion as to MY00 or MY01.

Not to worry, it makes me happy, I've got lots of warranty left for peace of mind and it was more car for less money.
Old 14 April 2003, 01:48 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Better come clean and state mine's a 5 door as well. Reg'd Jul01 also.

cheers
Old 14 April 2003, 01:52 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

just because a car is on a dealer forecourt doesn't mean it will be better than a private/trader.

You can be just as sure if not more sure of the cars history of buying private as you can talk to the current owner and see what theya re like.

Just put the £3000 you save buying private in the bank in case things do o wrong.

Old 14 April 2003, 01:58 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Well, I can understand people wanting to go to a trader. I personally think I'd have trouble handing 15+ odd grand over to a private seller that might not be there the following day no matter how many checks were done - it must be me being paranoid!

Edited to add I wonder if I'll try and sell mine privately eventually :-s !

[Edited by sooby - 4/14/2003 1:59:52 PM]
Old 14 April 2003, 02:39 PM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Hmmmm, after looking through the proven cars they are all pretty expensive (which was to be expected). I'm liking the idea of getting one which still has a few months warranty and then extending it. The only thing that worries me about buying private/trader is that I won't really know what state its in. At a dealer they'll have sorted out anything that needs sorting (i.e stuff that needs doing at a service). Also, I'm hoping to p/x and don't want the hassel of private selling....
Old 14 April 2003, 02:54 PM
AJT
Scooby Regular

I started going down the Dealer route when I sourced my Scoob - then established a few contacts via Scoobynet and went for private sale in the end.

Main reason is that buying private; you're more than likely buying from an enthusiast who's lovingly cared for the car (esp if through club or Scoobynet). If you get it from a Dealer, you aint gettin it from someone who loves em - you're gettin it from someone who loves to sell em Don't set your hopes too high with Dealers setting things straight on a car before you buy it - if you don't notice it when you test drive it - you'll have a hard time getting them to fix it after you've signed (it's all money to them remember). My advice is spend a few quid on getting an RAC/AA inspection on a Scoobnet sourced Scoob with plenty of endorsements from members (e.g. "I know this car and it's mint" etc)

Got my 'mint' MY00 DBM from a really nice (genuine) chap in Coventry (i.e. be prepared to travel a bit to find the right one).

Good luck.

Alex
Old 14 April 2003, 03:03 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I had to go to Reading to get my car new!
Old 14 April 2003, 03:19 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Dont be too paranoid about buying from a private sale. Just think with your head pay with a bank draft on collection, get the car hpi'd ask fro receipts and service schedule books and verify them at the garage. take a friendly mechanic with you or (take it to a garage) and have it checked over.

IMHO the AA inspections arent worth squatt on this sort of car. and with a bit of shopping round you could get a very late registered car still with some manufacturers warranty left and then extend it yourself.

This way you are getting a newer car with more warranty and less cash.

Just because you buy a car from a dealer doesnt make it a well looked after car. If I had loads of problems with a car I wouldnt sell it privatly I would chop it in at a dealer not flog it to a private sale just couldnt face the person.

When I was looking round to start with i couldnt belive the prices at dealers compared to the autotrader adverts.
Old 14 April 2003, 03:52 PM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

The major factor at the moment is getting rid of my current car... I'd rather just p/x it at a traders than buy a scoob and then have to go through the motions of another private sale with the car being kept god knows where... Definitely up for finding one with some dealer warrany left on it. Really wanna find one now!!!
Old 14 April 2003, 04:46 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of mine.
If you find somebody like me selling one in a genuine position of not wanting to give the dealer any more 'money for nothing' you couldn't really go wrong.
My car is a MY00 (Sept) with only 17,000 miles.
I just had the 37,500mile service and realised I have only covered 2,500miles in the last 6 months.
The dealer offered me £11k against a new MY03 and I just thought that this was a silly deal as he has nor service to carry out on the car just a damn good polish. He had a W reg DBM car with 47,000miles on the forecourt for £14.5k at the time.
I think that we are all a little too cautious. I like many others am wary of buying a car from Mr private seller, especially >£15k but the reality is that there are many people like me who look after their cars regardless of cost and I know for a 100% fact that the only problem anyone who bought the car would have would not have been there when I owned the car. Problem is that if I was looking myself I'd be worrying just the same!
Daft isn't it really.
I think I have had enough of 'rip-off' car ownership period. As I only do low mileage the best thing to do is dump the Scoob and run it into the ground and buy a different older car every year or two and use a local private mechanic to service the car.
Problem is letting it go for peanuts is just sad. It's barely run in!!!
Old 14 April 2003, 06:28 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

"The major factor at the moment is getting rid of my current car..."

This was a big consideration for me as well. Don't be too put off by the dealers prices though - I got what I wanted for my trade in AND a grand off the window price of the Impreza.
Old 14 April 2003, 09:25 PM
wingco
Scooby Regular

Smile

I can fully understand the problems of both private and dealership issues. I have my 98 scoob up for sale privatly and live within spitting distance of a subaru main dealer. Compared with what he has mine is mint. Nearly every day the dent remover van is doing work on stock. I also test drove a wrx from a main dealer later to find out from other sources it had been damaged in a theft from the forcourt!
Be careful wherever you buy. But dont rule out private. I have every receipt full subaru history just like that through a dealer and my cars up for far less cash. I am looking at both for a 5 door to keep the options open for a good car.
Best of luck.

[Edited by wingco - 4/14/2003 9:29:14 PM]
Old 15 April 2003, 09:19 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the support guys. I think my primary concern at the moment is picking something up which has warranty left on it, recent service, one/two owners from new and low milage. Will be jumping on Autotrader ASAP! Oh yeah, can anyone what if any the differences between Manufacturers warranty and extended warranty are?

Cheers,

Tony
Old 15 April 2003, 10:31 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Would you have any interest in the following?
MY00
Royal silver 4dr
On 'Scooby' reg
17,500 miles
One owner
Side Protection Strips
Fog/Headlamp covers
Original wheels/brakes/springs.
Just had 37,500 service
Warranty until End Sept 03
OZ 17" Superleggera wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres
Eibach Springs + geometry (TSL)
Group N+ front discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads
Stainless steel brake hoses
RAC Trackstar Monitor
Local dealer supplied new to me (UK car).
Scoobysport Downpipe + Centre + Back box.
Original exhaust but not Backbox.

???
Old 15 April 2003, 10:44 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Vate, that is indeed a very tempting setup. My only issue is modifications. I'm hoping to get a completely unmodified one, primarily for insurance purposes . Do you have any pics of the little beauty?

Tone
Old 15 April 2003, 10:49 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Sorry no pics.
Point is looks like any other Royal Silver saloon.
Insurance is an obvious consideration and unless you could 'undo' the mods yourself it would obv. cost to get this done.
The only missing part is the original Backbox which can easily be picked up for next to nothing.
I just kind of resent letting it go as PX for peanuts when someone else could pay a bit more than the dealer figure and get a great car into the bargain.
Old 15 April 2003, 10:55 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Indeed, my circumstances kinda put me out of this one. It would also be a shame to return it to its original state after all the mods you've done. I'm sure there'll be someone on here gagging for that sort of spec!
Old 15 April 2003, 11:47 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Not likely on hear m8.
Most peeps already have the Scoob they want!

Quick Reply: Buying a 2nd hand scoob: Dealership vs Trader