ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Last Minute . COM ???

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2000, 04:03 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this has nothing to do with Scoobies, but this is the largest/friendliest forum I subscribe to, so here goes....

What's the opinion, is it worth buying the shares?
Will they sky rocket?

Or are Lastminute just as useless as their website?

Imran
Old 06 March 2000, 04:15 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

One thing I can tell you, its going to be massively over subscribed.
cem
Old 06 March 2000, 04:17 PM
Aksan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

At some point in the (near?) future the inflated share prices of all these "dot com" companies will collapse.

I don't mean to scaremonger but it's just unsustainable. How much longer will shareholders be prepared to wait before any of them make any money? Not too long I suspect.

If you do take a gamble (and believe me, I wouldn't) make sure you sell up before you live to regret the decision. Jump on the bandwagon if you want but make sure you jump off in time to let some other sucker take the hit

Old 06 March 2000, 04:30 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Blowdog and Aksan,

I totally agree with both of you.

However, I was planning on selling them literally on the first day they trade, just after a nice increase hopefully.

I don't want to hold on to them for any longer than 2 or 3 days after they open.

They will be oversubsubscribed, but that's good isn't it?

I really appreciate the input guys.

Imran
Old 06 March 2000, 04:30 PM
KevinS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I always learnt that things that had little to offer were always the ones that were heavily marketed. lastminute.com has been so overmarketed that they must be hiding something. I can't stand having to see that martha girl on telly once more. I will NOT be subscribing.
Old 06 March 2000, 04:49 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

hmm - not convinced with everything said here. Whilst I think they wont sustain indefinitely, there is a good couple of years growth in the industry in the UK.

I am going to buy Lastminute shares - they are a very solid brand on the Internet. I think they wil leap, then dive, then slowly climb again...... I hope!
Old 06 March 2000, 04:52 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

These "license to print money.com" companies will not be able to survive once a serious set of accounts are posted at companies house - marketing sells new companies it doesn't prove they will deliver profits EVER

If you look at some of the older industries you get an idea of what happens. In the oil and mineral area companies find their shares rocketing whilst they are prospecting and drilling. The striking of the intended target causes a large run on the shares as people are desperate not to miss out on an investment opportunity. Once the necessary samples have been analysed and an accurate guide can be given as to how much of that particular oil/mineral can be economically extracted from a given area the price reacts accordingly. Mainly in the downwards direction as the site becomes economically unviable to produce from, look at how many north sea oil strikes are ignored because they are not economically viable to extract.

Dot.Com shares should be the Y2K version of the 70's and 80's oil and mineral boom.

Yex - make money while you can, and don't bet with what you can't afford to lose.
Old 06 March 2000, 05:13 PM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm gonna buy. I've done quite a bit of dealing the past few years and they seem a good bet to me (I'm a Chartered Accountant). I've bought iii and Stepstone in the past couple of weeks. Definitely worth the couple of hundred quid you have to throw at it.

Oversubscription will mean that you will only get a couple of hundred shares, maybe less, so it's not a big outlay.

Basically if you want to gamble a couple of hundred quid, and are willing to lose it it's ok. I think they could go pretty high, going on some of the other shares, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. Obviously these are exceptional, but a good pointer none the less.

Make your choice!!!

David.

Old 06 March 2000, 05:44 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

I have done a Dun and Brabstreet on Lastminute.com they turned over £120,000.in 99. Hardly any of these companies.com are making money. Amazon the largest book seller in the world has yet to make money.

The bubble will burst very soon Venture Capitalists are becoming less generous with there mills.

You must time your purchase and sale 100% right, otherwise adios to your sponduleys.

Old 06 March 2000, 06:27 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

imran
I totally agree with David. they are worth throwing some money at them. regardless of whether they will make money or not in the future, they will make you some money now. share magazine has checked the last IPOs and found out that on average they have moved by 60%. I would not sell in 2-3 days though I would wait for at least few months, I am sure you will kick your self if they rallied the same way as QXL, or SCO. saying that I bought my tickets using expedia. and their site is useless. also remember that they will a lot more favoured than the rest of the dot.com that every one is talking about because they are fully listed which make them valuable to fund managers for the tax purposes. most of the other dot.com companies are AIM listed (MIN,JLY,EVC,ECI etc...)
Old 06 March 2000, 09:20 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

From someone who is not an expert (me)

* Buy if you can afford to lose the cash - it is a big gamble

* Sell before they announce the figures for Jan-March (of *course* xmas was better than the previous period - why do you think they are floating now?)

* Bear in mind that with the cash they raise, they can go on a shopping spree that would make your eyes water, in a similar way to Freeserve has done (Ukinvest, Babyworld etc, and maybe even Dorling Kindersley now)

* If you are brave you can afford to ignore the fact that they will dip below their issue price after a few days, be slagged off by everyone predicting the burst of the bubble, then proceed to rise through the roof (a la Freeserve again - I don't hear the shouts of "told you so" any more...)

But then over a pint I'll tell you my sob stories regarding investment, so take all of my advice with caution :-)

r
Old 08 March 2000, 03:19 PM
taricc
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Imran:
<B>I know this has nothing to do with Scoobies, but this is the largest/friendliest forum I subscribe to, so here goes....

What's the opinion, is it worth buying the shares?
Will they sky rocket?

If you can get hold off these shares, then you are lucky. This particular company has been very heavily oversubscribed. And also has been marketed very heavy with a lot of promotional work via TV, Press and the Bank behind the issues is very strong.
So you have a choice, buy and sell quickly or buy and hold on because these will go up further in due course.
They also looking to float on the Nasdaq soon and are expanding into Europe.
They are trying to establish themselves on the internet cycle as this is currently very young.

You can email me on taricc@talk21.com, because i have been following this particular for a while now.

Tariq

Or are Lastminute just as useless as their website?

Imran[/quote]

Old 09 March 2000, 09:35 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have just heard some insider news that there have been around 200000 applications, given the number of shares on issue that equates to 33 shares each.

Apparently the likelihood of these being allocated is nil, so there will be a lottery type affair with one in six applicants getting their full 200 and the others, nil.

Good luck. Im in the race too.
Old 15 March 2000, 10:58 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know of some people who actually made money out of this - couriers!!!

Last Friday, my company had a rush of jobs, all going to Beckenham, Kent. When we had sussed out why & the deadline, a couple of people did very well out of it. One courier had £60 cash (in pocket) + 5 other account jobs (@ £12.00 ea, 2 of which were on Rush [urgent=+50%] +20% attendence bonus), all picking up from central London & delivering to the one place...

How much did the majority of us make????

Q. How much did some individuals spend with us to get their application in?
A. 'bout what they made on the shares!

(Have to admit that the operations team jumped on the bandwagon too - result = profit of £1.50 each!)
Old 15 March 2000, 11:59 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Talking

So the average punter made GBP 39, ledd the commsission to sell it's hardly big bucks.

NASDAQ's down again today as well.....

a quote from DLJDIRECT.com

Analysts said the image of the Nasdaq as the only place to
invest for monster gains remained bruised after a massive
selloff on Tuesday in biotechnology stocks -- the very sector
that had helped fuel the tech-stacked index's rapid ascent.
"People don't see the Nasdaq as being a sure bet,
particularly the biotechs," said Rick Meckler, senior managing
director at Liberty View in Jersey City, N.J. "But people are
still interested in investing. They are just rotating into the
next area and the area they have picked up now is the old-
economy stocks, which are beaten down."

Time will tell.

Dave