Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems fitting ITG

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2003, 07:52 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I know this has been mentioned before (like here and here), but I'm having problems refitting the airbox after changing the air filter. Any tips, please?

I thought it would be a 5-min job. Well, I ran out of daylight and had to give up for the night.

I just don't seem to be able to get the airbox back on neatly with the filter in place. It fits back fine without the filter in place ( ), and I understand where the lower mounting clips are. But can I get the thing to re-mount with filter in place? (insert much swearing).

Any tips on getting the thing re-installed? I've removed the MAF plug, and have removed the rubber air hose (engine side), so the air box is free to move. Suggestions gratefully received.

Perhaps this is an obvious point, but I'll ask anyway. The mesh/logo side of the ITG is the engine side (i.e. the foam is outside). Right?

Apologies - this is also in 'Drivetrain', but here it'll actually be read!
Old 31 March 2003, 08:44 PM
JonDBM
Scooby Regular

I was down at Scoobysport on Sat for the Dent Devils guy (excellent job done), and while there I had my ITG panel filter removed with a view to putting in the standard oem paper filter that was taken out after 1k miles (ITG has now done 36k). Anyway, the ITG was almost spotless, so I put it straight back in on the recomendation of Scoobysport people after it was gently cleaned to remove a few flies etc.

With the engine side pipes off as suggested in the reply from Pete Croney of Scoobysport in one of your links above, the lid went on with no problems. The guy held the airbox at an angle of about 45 degrees and located it onto the bottom edge before closing the box and clipping it down again.

The logo is definitely upwards. I had about 2 tea spoons worth of the fabled ITG goo dirty air side (which easily cleaned out), which had run down under gravity to the bottom of the air box over the course of the last 3.5 years. No goo had come through the filter to the clean air side.

From my experience, my ITG has done 36k and doesn't yet need changing - so am well happy

Jon.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:49 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Jon, thanks for the reply.

When you saw the chap fitting your ITG, was the filter fully recessed into the lower airbox (i.e. airbox upper surface higher than the filter's upper surface)? Or, was it resting on the upper lip of the airbox?
Old 31 March 2003, 09:07 PM
JonDBM
Scooby Regular

The filter was resting on the upper-lip - this concurs with Ozzy's reply in the drivetrain thread.

When it is all fitted back - if you unclip the clips again and gently prize open the box, you can see the filter above the lower surface. This how mine had been for 3.5 years.

Jon.
Old 01 April 2003, 07:30 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorted - thanks to Jon, plus Ozzy, Rob and Steve on the other thread.

All it took was some tips off Scoobynet and some daylight, and it was done'n'dusted inside of 2 minutes.