Mindless vandalism again!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2003, 12:40 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Oh isn't life wonderful!!!

5:30pm tonight I get a knock on the office door to be told by the office receptionist that my car has been vandalised in the so called security controlled car park that we pay a fortune for in our office rent.

Get outside to find 3 tyres flat - two appear to have been let down (dust caps missing and no visible damage) whereas the third has been slashed through the sidewall repeatedly. Turns out that a lady saw three kids huddled round the car 10 minutes before. So I ask for the site security to be called and the police.

The site security say they saw them do it on CCTV, but as one of them had a knife they were staying put. The police said they are too busy to turn up despite the fact we have CCTV footage and three kids matching the descriptions are sitting on a fence some 200 yards away jeering at us. Of course as soon as you head towards them they disappear in to the local council estate (where else???).

So I go in search of a footpump and pump the two rear tyres back up - they seem OK although it's dark now. I then replace the slashed tyre with the space saver, move the car and go back to the office to warn my two colleagues. One of them decides to move his car immediately (it was parked next to mine). He gets out there to find the three kids slashing his rear tyres - he gives chase, but a being a little out of shape is no match for the kids who got a good head start anyway.

This time the police deign to turn up (good of them really seeing as we pay their goddamn wages). Aside from taking a few details and muttering about building a security fence they aren't that interested. He mentions something about going to have a brief look in the council estate and then drives off heading for the motorway rather than the council estate.

All the office management have gone home for the night so I decide to head off and talk to them in the morning. Tootling along at 50mph (space saver remember) one of my rear tyres blows out and completely delaminates damaging the rear bumper trim in the process. So I am now stranded on the hard shoulder of the motorway with two damaged tyres a damaged bumper and a damaged alloy. Then to add insult to injury the tow truck that takes 2 hours to arrive liberally spits oil all over my trousers from a hydraulic leak.

Angry? You bet I am!!! With who?

- The office for failing to build a security fence between the ultra expensive offices and Scumsville (the council estate).

- The security guys for basically not doing their job.

- The police for a complete failure to do theirs.

- Our country for not allowing me to carry a gun which would mean the kids would think twice about vandalising my car (don't scoff - it works).

- Me for not having the gumption to emigrate to somewhere where I am allowed to protect my property in any way I see fit.

OK rant over and I do feel better for getting it off my chest!

Thank you,

tiggers
Old 26 March 2003, 07:56 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

hear hear. shoot the b&stards.
Old 26 March 2003, 08:13 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It is terrifying reading crap like this
Old 26 March 2003, 08:19 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

they are sure to come back as they have got away with it twice now and the police have done nothing.

god knows what to suggest:

1, you can not beat the little bastads senseless, or the police will then nick you (oh justice...)

2, the office you work for are unlikely to want to spend the money on further security.

3, the guards are unlikely to do anything as they are obviously worried about getting knifed, the fact that they have seen the kids with knives compounds this for the future.

what to suggest? i dunno - anyone know any good sites that sell mantraps? or maybe a remote device that burns the little gits legs off if they tamper with the car?

tricky problem, i sympathise with your dilema.

weava
Old 26 March 2003, 08:22 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Good job New Labour are hosing ever increasing amounts of our taxes away on public services isn't it?

sorry to hear your story, mate, I'd be tempted to put in a formal complaint to the police and requesting the security company's contract is reviewed for starters.

Hope you have a better day today!

Gordo
Old 26 March 2003, 08:26 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would try to get your company to pay for your repairs. Because of "securitys" lack of action yours and the other car have been damaged. Make them pay.

Tim
Old 26 March 2003, 08:36 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Angry

Bad news m8, looks like you had a hell of a day. I hate the way kids are overprotected. The law sucks. I mean good ole fashioned discipline is needed if you ask me. It obvious their parents are to blame. Its the same where i live, kids vandalise things and damage cars only to be let off with not so much as a shouting at. Shocking truely shocking.

I'd say the best thing to do is to vent your anger down at the gym or something, or even punch a door/wall etc. lol i know its pathetic but seems to work for me as 9 times out of 10 im thinking about the pain i've just inflicted on myself rather than whats actually happend. lol.

You could always wait for them in the bushes and suprise attack them? Mind you be careful where you throw your punches and make sure they are not too young for a slap!
Old 26 March 2003, 08:56 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sign of the times unfortunately

I have been doing up a tatty £200 205 XS, and finally it is starting to look OK. Gave it a good wash last weekend, and yesterday some little ****** has covered the drivers side with a can of pop.

i.e. shake it, open it, and spray all over doors and windows.

I know it wont cost me anything, and it is a cheap car (one of the reasons I swapped - avoiding vandalism), but it is a pain. Little idiots [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and these are the decent ones.

[Edited by Dream Weaver - 3/26/2003 8:56:46 AM]
Old 26 March 2003, 09:10 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for your replies - a problem shared is a problem halved.

That's the frustrating thing - there is literally nothing inside the law I can do and it will definitely happen again even the police said that - comforting words or what?

As for getting my company to pay - it's possible, but as I own it it wouldn't really help ;-).

There are just three of us and we are renting these oh so lovely offices. Still, I've got an appointment with the office manager later today so that should be fun if nothing else.

Regards,

tiggers
Old 26 March 2003, 09:46 AM
Mr.M
Scooby Regular

Does your contract with the office management company include any clause regarding security of assets whilst on/in their property?
Old 26 March 2003, 09:51 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yes, but it does not cover the car park - vehicles left at yur own risk and such like - usual stuff.

What else do we expect - after all the rent is just so cheap - NOT!!!!

Just spoken with the office manager who was as much use as a chocolate teapot. It's probably an isolated incident she said - yeah right!!!! No chance of additional security! So I guess I need to budget an extra £300 a week for car repair. Told her I'd be parking in the disabled bays from now on - she said I would be clamped by security in that case - good I said as at least they can't knife one of my tyres if a clamp is over it!!!

This country SUCKS!!!!!

tiggers.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:05 AM
scooby-subaru
Scooby Regular

You're right tiggers, this country does suck. As a nation we are just too soft with scum bags like these, and what does it all boil down to, useless parents who have'nt got a clue how to bring up a child. Take my advice and do what we're doing in 8 months, moving to Spain. My wife recently gave birth to our baby boy and we decided some time ago that there was no way we were staying put in this country. Viva Espana.

P.S. Scooby's are cheaper there as well.

Scooby
Old 26 March 2003, 10:15 AM
rakh1
Scooby Regular

Bring in obligitory military service for a year between A-Levels and Uni. At least that ought to teach them some dicipline!!

GRRRRRRRR

Rich
Old 26 March 2003, 10:15 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Relax guys. Lets see, the security guard refusing to act? I think he's in on the act myself. It would be prudent for you to fire him and get a proper guard. The police are unable to act unless they are there to witness it. Yes I know it sux but thats the way the law is made. Its frustrating I know, as this basically happened to me about a year ago. The police wanted to help me out but she told me that her hands were tied (yes she was hot, no I didn't get her number and I was married then).

She did tell me something though and it did work. If you know those little idiots, get yourself an injunction out on them. It worked a treat for me. The minute they step within a 100 yards of your property, BAM!

They're sent straight to jail. Knowing them, they probably have other criminal records so they'll be getting their a&& screwed in prison by some random big guy.

So get your behind to the lawyer's office and get the CCTV footage to your lawyer.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:17 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Bring in obligitory military service for a year between A-Levels and Uni. At least that ought to teach them some dicipline!!
Yup. Then they can be more efficient criminals who can do military like precission when it comes to planning. Oh they'll also be able to kill their victims more efficiently. No thank you. Criminals are born criminals and no amount of counselling or military discipline can change them. People with criminal records should be deported.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:23 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

The only problem with all that is that these kids are 10, 11 or 12 years old at the most and as far as I know they don't send kids that young to jail.

To my mind they know what they're doing is wrong and hence if they know the difference between right and wrong they should be able to at least go to a young offender's institution if not jail.

I will definitely be getting the CCTV footage to my solicitor though.

Thanks for your advice.

The really frightening thing to me is the police's lack of attention to the situation considering they've got a young kid running around brandishing a sizeable knife.

How I wish we had a gun law - this just doesn't happen in Arizona - if it wasn't so damned hot over there I would seriously consider emigrating.

Cheers,

tiggers.
Old 26 March 2003, 10:35 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

No but then they can get their parent(s) in trouble. I still say you should get rid of the security guard. Thats your main priority for now. The parents are legally responsible for them.

[Edited by Katana - 3/26/2003 10:36:55 AM]
Old 26 March 2003, 10:37 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Katana,

Believe you me I will be trying to do that - even the police suggested it might be a good idea. I'm not holding out any hope though!!

Thanks,

tiggers
Old 26 March 2003, 10:39 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Angry

so sorry to hear about this - indeed what is this country coming to!!

...if you wanted to pursue the little f*&kers - look at the CCTV footage and try to identify those involved (may be a longshot..get some prints of the film and ask at local shops?) - may be worth a try. If you can get a home address of one of the little sods, I'd get a copy of the film and send to their parents along with an invoice for the damage caused....may take some effort to do this, but IMHO worth every minute spent...

We had a brand new bus shelter erected at the end of our estate a few months back and within weeks there was nothing left of it as the little b*stards had kicked the hell out of it and left the debris all over the road. It got taken down eventually, so now all the mums / oaps have nothing to shelter in whilst waiting for the bus

Also, my father had all the plants in his front garden pulled up recently and an urn thrown through the back window of his company car....all for what??

If people continue to suffer at the hands of these young vandals, its surely going to get to the point of vigilantes getting their own back.....
Old 26 March 2003, 10:50 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

How come site security were happy to watch them for 10 mins? Surely, as soon as these kids came near the car park the police should have been called! If you are paying for this service, which you indicated that you are, stop paying it until some improvements in the service is shown.

Old 26 March 2003, 10:59 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I want to stop paying, but my wishy washy business partners are part of the 'What can you do?' and 'It's just the way things are' brigade hence I'm outvoted.

I told the office manager that if it was up to me she would not get another payment until something was done about security, but luckily for her I work with two bleeding heart liberals.

Yours fed up,

tiggers.

P.S. Don't tell me to go and get two new business partners as I just might ;-)

[Edited by tiggers - 3/26/2003 11:00:16 AM]
Old 26 March 2003, 11:12 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Ignore your business partners and fire the security guard. If you don't this would give a clear signal to security guards all over the country that this type of behaviour is acceptable. My car could be next. Think of meeee goddamit!
Old 26 March 2003, 11:26 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

The problem is the security guard works for the compnay we rent the offices from - I'm stuck.

tiggers
Old 26 March 2003, 11:31 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Angry

You should be allowed to beat these people.
Old 26 March 2003, 11:38 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Don't pay the rent then. Make your position clear that they have failed to provide the promise service and that you're willing to take your business elsewhere.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:53 PM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about the vandals!! I know exactly how you feel. My Scooby got keyed a month ago - they managed to do three panels and about £800 worth of damage.

Subsequently I got the car repaired and have sold it coz I can't afford to have it happen again. Fortunately I have the option of a company car, but I'm still pretty p1ssed off!!
Old 26 March 2003, 02:18 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Katana has a good idea, tell the company that they are supposed to provide the security, so why have they failed.
Are they liable ??
Old 26 March 2003, 05:16 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear your tale of woe m8.

B*stards [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 26 March 2003, 05:24 PM
st
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was just having a discussion re car vandalism theft etc.. with a colleague earlier.

I must admit there isnt much I hate more than a car Vandal/Thief. I think there should be much tougher penalties i.e prison sentences etc for vandalising/stealing cars. I don't the the gun carrying law is right but I completely understand where your coming from.

ST.
Old 26 March 2003, 05:35 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Angry

had a similiar incident happen to me, had some pi** heads decide to kick the back quater panel in on my new polo, i know i know its a polo, but hey to kick th crap out of it making 1500 worth of damage to the car when you have 500 excess to pay you feel like catching them and reversing over them

Quick Reply: Mindless vandalism again!!