Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sti8...is that it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2003, 03:28 AM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thought i may as well take a wee trip and try out the sti8, last time i took a similar we trip i came home minus all my cash and a lovely wee 99uk turbo that had been visited by the prodrive fairy having had the brakes/suspension/performance pack/quick shift fitted...sti looks arent bad..doesnt have the same mean and " go on..you know you wanna " look to it..soft almost??? gold wheels( just no..no)..come to the driving part..heart starts to go a little faster...didnt get any faster..am i realy fussy..stuck in the old school..it did not allot for me..smooth..pulls in all gears..but some how somewhere it got a little " soft and fluffy " ..hint of a honda with a turbo slapped on it...ride wasnt that hot..not so soft you dont have confidence..but also..seems to have the school run in mind about it..cant have the kids spill ther juice can we..it may have the figures...but it just doesnt get them across to you..almost a subaru for those who dont realy want A SUBARU..am i still in the subaru family..just..its better than most on the road..but just not all it could have been..did ask the service guy and the mechanic what they thought..they seemed to be on the same line as me..its not ther first choice to drive...better built indeed..just an opinion from a slightly let down subaru fan....( anyone know the nearest mazda or mitsi garage)
Old 23 March 2003, 06:32 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dario,

Horses for courses, each to his own. Read the thread below for an alternative viewpoint.

Its your money, do with it what you will.

Cheers

WB

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=190614
Old 23 March 2003, 07:50 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

i get your point...just let down is all..still a good car..but not a classic or cult car...blah blah..having said that..i know i will maybe even end up with one..or go mad in the add on market and get the best of bothe worlds..
Old 23 March 2003, 09:54 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Dario, I hear ya! I thought the same with the STi7 (non PPP) so I'll drive the 8 to see if it's improved. I have a MY00 and I'm wondering where to go next but the latest Scoobs are heading towards the path that Golfs have already gone.

They've gone so soft now that I may as well have a 225 TT, at least it looks nice!

Perhaps a P1 will solve the problem, or the dark side.....

What the hell, a proper car - 911.

F
Old 24 March 2003, 09:44 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

glad im not the only one with this view...slightly harsh i admit..but i may give the sti8 another go and see if it grows on me..
Old 24 March 2003, 10:10 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I've read all this stuff various times before and to me (and I can comment on experience 2 classics, 1 bug eye and now sti8), that the Sti8 is by far the best scoob I have had, the second being the RB5 I had.

All cars will be refined and the classic had that treatment as well. My first MY97 drove differently to the RB5.

Get a sense of realism please.

Steve
Old 24 March 2003, 10:45 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Steve, we are all entitled to our opinion. If the Sti8 doesn't light my fire and make me want to rush out and buy one, then you telling me it's great because you've got one, ain't gonna make me buy it - see?

It may well go fast and go around corners quickly (so does an M3 and they're not all 'that' either to drive) but it lacks the tingle factor for me.

Look at it this way, what would make someone with a tidy MY99 with 280bhp and just 1200kgs to lug around, which goes just as fast around corners in the real world(safely) with probably no speed difference on track, want to buy a heavier (uglier) and more expensive car? Fashion perhaps?

F
Old 24 March 2003, 11:22 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

No Floyd I agree that you should have your own opinions. I wasn't making the point that my Sti8 is the best car cos I have one.

What I am saying is that with each revision the cars are improved in one way or another, If you are happy with the car then keep it. I have been happy with all of the cars I have had.

The realism thing just comes with the above and isn't just because I have one.

Sorry to confuse my meaning.

Steve
Old 25 March 2003, 08:31 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I have a STI8PPP and a 22B. The 22B is IMO alot more fun, and alot more involving to drive. The blobeye is alot more refined, and has alot more doors (My old English teacher would have a fit at all those 'alots'). Both are great cars but if I could only run one it'd be the old STI4. A blobeye without PPP is pretty underwhelming in terms of power, especially under 4k revs, so I can easily see someone coming away from a demo drive in a low-mile STI8 thinking it wasn't *that* amazing.
Chuck
Old 25 March 2003, 09:00 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

The older ones here will remember the early Golf GTI raw fun, as the models evolved & the owners got older the car became softer smoother quiter more comfortable & less fun.

The scoob is going the same way, at the risk of upsetting people a lot of the drivers now appear to be young business people who like the image but dont need the ultimate driving experience, at least with the ppp etc the car can be "helped" but overall its drifting towards the "family car"

Still as others have said its your money so as long as you are happy then ENJOY !! It wont be long before the government will have us all driving round slowly, safely & in enviromentally friendly cars so have fun while you can.

Old 25 March 2003, 09:46 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Chuck,

I suppose you'll want to swap your 22B and STi8 for my STi 4 then.

Oww, alright.

BTW, I tried the Sti 7 and was underwhelmed, but enjoyed the standard STi 8 better. For sheer get up and go though, it's still the 4 for me. Getting on a bit now though (me and the car).
Old 25 March 2003, 09:58 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
chuckster, your English teacher would have a fit not least as they should be written as two words, ie "a lot".

Yours ever helpfully

Brendan

Old 25 March 2003, 10:26 AM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Wink

STI 8 DEFINITELY SOFTER ON THE LOOKS STOP
WOULD BUY IF I HAD MONEY THO STOP
WOULD RATHER HAVE P1 OR 22B STOP
Old 25 March 2003, 10:31 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendan, I was 'educated' in the good old USofA...'nuff said about my English LOL
Chuck
Old 25 March 2003, 10:37 AM
Vix
Scooby Regular

I didn't like the STi8 as much as the new WRX... feels as if it would be superb around the track.. and on brand new smooth road surfaces but lets be fair.. how often do you get that in the UK? and aren't scoobies suppose to be rally cars...?? well that's why we went for the WRX! a much more 'raw' drive and power delivery when you want it.. not quite as whiplash creating as the classic but that will get better with the extras once it is run in!

GreenMachine - do you agree?
Old 25 March 2003, 12:00 PM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

Yup

I reckon a "breathed on" 03 WRX is the way to go round typical UK back roads - which is where these cars really excel