Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord Type-R -> MY03 Sti, would you upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 12:22 AM
nlink99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondered if I could get some advice from the board.

At the moment I have an Accord Type-R, but am pondering a change and the only other car that takes my fancy is a MY03 Sti.

I’ve yet to have a test drive of the new Sti (local dealer is hopefully getting a demo model in a few weeks), but am hearing and reading great things about it. I’ve noticed on a few posts here that people have had previous cars like Civic Type-R’s and was wondering what the general consensus is about upgrading? Is it worth it and has anyone ever regretted changing?

Thanks for the help.
Old 18 March 2003, 01:13 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

it is the next step up in performance terms but the build quality
is'nt as good as the honda....apart from that go for it.
Old 18 March 2003, 08:36 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

To be honest, the STI is superior to the type R in pretty much every way(except looks. A black type R looks )

Fuel consumption will be about the same, as will servicing costs.
Insurance will be higher(grp 20 as opposed to Grp 17 for the type R)
Tyres should last longer on the STI, as if I recall the FWD accord ate tyres.

This is'nt to say that the type R is rubbish, I seriously considered one before buying my last impreza. Only the lack of aircon and need to be at a 6000Rpm before anything happened put me off. But go and test drive the STI and make your own mind up. Don't forget to let us know what you think though
Old 18 March 2003, 08:41 AM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Had an Integra Type R before I bought a scooby. I miss the handling on the Type R but saying that the Scooby more than makes up for that with 4WD. The difference you will find is gear changes. With the Rs the engine seems to rev forever before you need to change gears where as the Scooby is so rapid you need to change up before you know it. My advice is go for it as the turbo experience is incredible. Let's put it this way...I bought a MY02 WRX in August after my ITG and now I am getting the MY03 STI. Once you've got the bug...!
Old 18 March 2003, 04:10 PM
nlink99
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm definately having a test drive ASAP and will feedback my impressions. Although I have the distinct feeling that I'll be placing an order for a new Sti ;0)
Old 18 March 2003, 05:25 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

My bird had a an Accord Type R and me an STi7 (both Black)for most of last year so I am not in too bad a position to comment.

Accord, far better built, far better economy and easier to drive day to day. And, in VTEC land sounded fantastic. We never used it on track, my Sti was used instead!!

BUT, the Accord was terrible on decent B roads. When pressing on whilst on my own, the Scoob felt so planted on poorly prepared roads while the Accord felt downright dangerous a good 30mph slower! The suspension was just not suited for technical, poorly surfaced roads. Sadly, these are my favourite type

As other vehicles arrived, Accord ended up sat in garage as she prefered using the STi, quite simply because in the Scoob she KNEW she had a faster car than most other road users whilst in the Accord there was always doubt. Sad, I know.

Old 18 March 2003, 05:35 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on going from the R to the STI, but it might be worth considering a WRX with PPP, on paper the WRX PPP is quicker and might be better for every day use.
I would test drive both Scoobs and compare.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 18 March 2003, 05:44 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi
Can't be bothered with reading everyone's reply. BUT just to say I went from an Accord Type R to a UK300 and have not regreted it one bit. So going to an STi can only be even better in my books.

I still smile with every mile 18 months on.

Totally differant cars in driving style, handling etc.

I know its a simple answer and it's only my view.

Edited to say mine was a Pirates Black Type R and I loved it.
But as said previously Impreza's are the next step.

[Edited by PeterUK300 - 3/18/2003 5:45:45 PM]