Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPP fitment on a MY03 Euro import

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 01:00 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I understand this right? If I want to order a MY03 import via Emporer or Litchfield etc. and then have the PPP fitted at a later date do I have to get the car shipped back to the dealer in Belgium/Holland or wherever it came from originally?

Gary.
Old 17 March 2003, 01:03 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Apparently that is true, a chap from prodrive confirmed it, and they cant fit them either in banbury without voiding the warranty.

do a search over the past couple of weeks there was a couple of threads discussing it.

cheers

Peter
Old 17 March 2003, 01:06 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=185596
Old 17 March 2003, 01:13 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yes, it has to go back to the supplying dealer. Bit of a swine really, even prodrive are not allowed to perform the modification

If you're feeling brave, this sounds like an anti-competetive unfair practice that I believe could be legally challenged. After all, if any Subaru garage is capable of servicing the car and still allowing your warranty to remain intact...

Good luck.
Old 17 March 2003, 01:42 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Question

Aren't even Non-Subaru garages allowed to service the car to retain the warranty, provided they use Subaru parts? (on EU imports at least).

I'm tempted to keep going to Lister's even when they lose the the Subaru deal.

Old 17 March 2003, 05:15 PM
GTMR
Scooby Regular

Unless you relish the prospect of a potential warranty wrangle you should probably get the PPP fitted in the supplying geographical area (benelux for most of us). Of course European law may change this in future, but I get the feeling we may not be on the path to closer integration at the moment.

So:

Option A)Pay for the ferry and PPP. Advantages - warranty preserved, see the world.
Option B)Get a PE/SS chip remap and silicone intercooler hose, plus a different backbox if you like your car to go broom broom. See previous threads about warranty issues with this approach.
Old 17 March 2003, 07:05 PM
shady2
Scooby Regular

Has anybody any idea how much PPP costs from a Benelux country. As if it's cheaper it may offset some of the cost of travel and at the same time you would get a weekend away.
Old 17 March 2003, 08:26 PM
Matski
Scooby Newbie

Spoke to Gertjan (Holland) today on this topic. He hasnt had the price for the 03 PPP yet but the 02 costs 1900 euros. Even at today's low exchange rate that would be cheap, however an increase in price is expected.

Already planning my dutch holiday(havent had the car yet) but my insurance company (Egg) today quoted around 500 quid more per year with PPP (900 without). Time to switch insurers I think.
Old 17 March 2003, 11:25 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm also buying from Gertjan (Holland) through Eurekar and seeking PPP with warranty. Thanks for the price info Matski. Anybody else want PPP from Gertjan ?
Old 17 March 2003, 11:45 PM
sc00byd00
Scooby Regular

Slightly off the subject but

How much is an MY03 Wagon at Gertjan ... is he the cheapest in the Benelux countries ??
How long do you have to wait ?

Cheers

aj
Old 17 March 2003, 11:57 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Can anyone confirm what naturbo 2000 says?

I have heard the same thing from Iain Litchfield (pretty knowledgible guy). Provided the servicing is carried out to Subaru spec (or better) then the service book can be sent away to Subaru and stamped. The servicing garage has to provide details of all work carried out at the service.
SUBARU WARRANTY IS MAINTAINED

Another two interesting point to fuel the debate on getting a PPP fitted in the UK to a Euro model.

1) When I originally ordered my car (from Belgium) I telephoned Prodrive and my local dealer - both were happy to sell / fit the PPP to a Euro car.

2) According to Iain - the warranty on the latest MY03 cars are not held by the country in which the car is sold. ie Subaru UK do not hold the warranty for UK cars. The warranty is now held centrally by the Subaru factory (IM?) If this is the case I see no reason whatsoever for your local dealer refusing to fit the kit to a Euro import.

Apparantly, the UK dealers don't seem very wise to this. It should also make any warranty claims on a Euro imported car a lot more easy.

Anticompetitive - sounds like it
However, if the euro PPP is in the order of 1900 Euros that is still a saving of approx £700 which you could use on a "cultural visit to Amsterdam". I hear they have some interesting window displays.

Cheers

Simon
Old 18 March 2003, 08:55 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Dear All

If you have a Benelux import and require a PPP to be fitted, you MUST return to your Benelux dealer to have it installed otherwise your warranty WILL be invalid.

We are not even allowed to install them here without loss of warranty

Thanks, Nick
That is from Nick at Prodrive.
Old 18 March 2003, 09:15 AM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Dear All

In answers to Simon's post, we at Prodrive have never stated that we can fit the PPP to Euro imports AND uphold the warranty, the car must be returned directly to the Benelux dealer network for that.

Your local UK dealer will happily fit a PPP to your car. You WILL lose the engine and transmission warranty though.

Iain is incorrect, in the UK and in Benelux the Subaru importer has their own warranty provisions and do not purchase the factory warranty from FHI in Japan. Due to this, the importer can demand what they like when it comes to options (like having the PPP fitted in the country of origin).

Thanks, Nick.

[Edited by Nick Wadeson - 3/18/2003 9:24:51 AM]
Old 18 March 2003, 09:58 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,

Without wanting to fuel an arguement I was told by a guy at Prodrive (sorry never asked his name) that I could get a PPP for a European car ordered through my local dealer. There was never any mention of problems maintaining the warranty. If this was the case then I think Prodrive should have ACTIVELY told me that.

I ordered my car through Iain last November. The car was to come from Belgium. Shortly after placing the order I started thinking about PPP.
I contacted my local dealer to find out about the availability of PPP for the STi8. They said they knew nothing about it (new dealership only been opened approx 6 weeks then) and they gave me the number of Prodrive and suggested I got in touch to find out more.
I telephoned Prodrive the same day and originally spoke to a young girl, who I assumed was a receptionist. She was helpful and connected me to gentleman in question. I asked if there was going to be a PPP available for the STi8 and if so would it be available immediately or was there likely to be a delay (as for the STi7). The reply was "there is a PPP available for order immediately, but they are currently in limited numbers". He suggested ordering one straight away, before my car arrived - so I wasn't disappointed and had to wait. I was told that I would need the chassis number to place the order.
I explained that I was getting the car from Europe (Belgium) and didn't have access to that. He replied that in that case I could order one without the chassis number, but I would need to explain this to my local dealer.

Seemed like he was very keen to get me to order the PPP as soon as possible. Definitely, NEVER any mention of warranty issues.

I then telephoned my local dealer again and explained the conversation that I had with Prodrive. I said that I would like to proceed and place an order. The local dealer said they would need to find out what they needed to do and would get back to me.

They returned my call about 2 hours later and said they had also spoken to Prodrive and all they needed was to place the order and would need a deposit from me.

I asked them SPECIFICALLY about warranty cover and they said that it was ALL COVERED as the work was carried out by them (ie a Subaru dealer).

Unfortunately, in the meantime I had also contacted my current insurance company (Privilege) who said that it was going to increase my premium by over £500 (only quoted just over £800 for the car).
I therefore told my local dealer I was going to wait until I had changed my insurance company.

As it turns out I have now gone down a different route of modifying the car.

There are several issues:

I was not told by Prodrive of any warranty problems.
My local dealer seems to have lied / bluffed about the warranty.
Both companies seemed keen for me to part with money, perhaps unwisely.

If I'm honest I actually have little faith in my local dealer. They have only been open a very short while and don't really seem to understand Scoobies yet. Their servicing charges are way too high, they gave me wrong info about the STi8 when I started making initial enquiries, they had never heard of the Terzo (my old car) and now the above. Even though they are less than 5 minutes walk from my house I'll be going elsewhere for my servicing.

Furthermore, it aslo dents / taints my impression of Prodrive

Simon

For once I am in a rare position - I can say my insurance company have done me a favour.
Old 18 March 2003, 10:57 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Maybe Nicks right, but I was told that it was only Subaru UK (IM) that did not sign up to the 3 year factory warranty.

As for the PPP I have spoken two of our suppliers in Belgium and Holland and each gave a different answer so it is extremely confusing.

Iain

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk
Old 18 March 2003, 11:14 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm afraid to say dealers don't know about the warranty issues with European imports full stop. I had to have a MAF sensor replaced recetly on my bugeye and the dealer basically told me I had to sort it out myself after insisting the car had only one year warranty even though I showed him it had 3. He refused to even speak to Subaru UK about it... This is the same dealer who spent 6 months deciding that PPP was covered under warrenty to be told that when I ordered it it would not be under warranty... I have spken to belgium and it is NOT Covered unless fitted by them....