ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Club Insurance Scheme?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2000, 02:55 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

One of the subjects which crops up time and time again on this BBS is insurance and it seems to be the one which gives people most grief. Is it not possible by now to have a scheme with an insurer who would understand our cars and modifications and give us a good standard of cover and service without charging us silly money? Some of the other clubs (I believe that the RSOC is one) have this so would it be possible to approach their insurers, who will already be familiar with the requirements, to see if they could offer something similar to us? I have a friend who has just sold a 400BHP Sapphire Cosworth which he insured for a very reasonable sum (around £350) and for that he got agreed value, limited mileage etc and when he carried out any mods the insurer knew exactly what he was talking about. This would also help to get rid of the inconsistencies which people have been experiencing. I know that this was raised some time ago but is it worth exploring again? Any insurance executives out there?

Raymond.
Old 26 January 2000, 03:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Raymond,
I think you'll find this is already in hand and is currently under discussion with the underwriters concerned....
Best regards
Mike Rainbird
Old 26 January 2000, 03:36 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Could they hurry up, my insurance is due soon. LOL

Dan
Old 26 January 2000, 04:01 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mine's due in June with Admiral.
An insurer that is totally clued up with the car and it's various mods would be a great idea.
Old 26 January 2000, 04:04 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers, Mike. Great minds think alike

Raymond
Old 26 January 2000, 04:15 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've just paid an absolute fortune - but managed to get it down by £100 because we both have insurance with the same Company but it was still OTT
Old 26 January 2000, 04:38 PM
Jon Stewart
Scooby Regular

Before the 9th of Feb would be nice
Mine's just coming up for renewal and has increased by 20%! Nobody has come close to Admiral yet at £650
Old 26 January 2000, 04:48 PM
Andy Burrell
Scooby Regular

Cool

We just had our renewal from Hastings Direct and were amazed at the cost £547 ( thats with 7+ protected no claims). However I think a club scheme would be well supported and if they really understood all the mods without having to spell it out that would be great.
Old 26 January 2000, 05:15 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

The scheme (if anything comes of it!) will be with the same insurers as the RSOC. And for us they do not charge ANY additional premium for a stage 1 chip (280bhp up from just over 200bhp), different wheels, suspension or brake upgrades (deeming the last two to be a sensible contribution if the power is increased - wow a realistic insurance company!).

In addition, RSOC organised track days are covered FREE and for every year you are a member of the RSOC, we get an additional 5% discount on top of our NCB up to a maximum of 20%. At the moment I have effectively 85% NCB (protected - natch.), which is why I can comfortably afford to insure a 419bhp fire breathing monster!

There is also the usual windscreen and breakdown cover thrown in for free.

And just to really rub it in, our cars have an agreed value (basically you say what it is worth, the particalar "registrar" for that vehicle will assess your evaluation and agree / reappraise your figure) and that is what the insurance will pay out - no quibbling, no market value with depreciation, but the figure that is agreed on your policy - wish you were an RS owner yet?!
LOL
Mike
Old 26 January 2000, 05:40 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Aaaahhhh Mr Rainbird,

I knew there would eventually be a good reason for reading all your posts, alternative view point and all that

This is an exceptionally good idea for SIDC members, I look forward to receiving more details when you have them to hand.

Many thanks in advance

Yex
Old 26 January 2000, 05:49 PM
Jon Stewart
Scooby Regular

Mike,

No

Jon

[This message has been edited by Jon Stewart (edited 26-01-2000).]
Old 26 January 2000, 08:33 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A great idea.

Have seen my thread about insurance rip off's?

It shows that finding out if the insurance company will pay up the right price of replacing your car is just as important as the renewal payments.

A club scheme should go along way to solving that problem.
Old 26 January 2000, 08:39 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Count me in.

Any improvement on £1200 (w/ 5 years NCB!!) works for me.

Ed
Old 27 January 2000, 08:49 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike you star.

Glad to see your making the Impreza world a better one. When you selling the Cossie to buy an Impreza then?

robski
Old 27 January 2000, 10:37 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dear Robski,
Don't thank me, thank Chrisp - he gave me the idea when we were at Donno last. Just chewing the fat (putting the world to rights - as you do), and I metioned about our insurance scheme, whereupon I could detect a hint of the green eyed monster, where he expressed his wish that the SIDC had a similar scheme.

Whir-whir-click-click (my brain!), so I got on the blower to Bob Deacon (the top man at Dominion Plan, our insurance scheme) and put it to him. He seemed keen, so I dropped one of your "high profile!" SIDC board members a line and they also expressed a keen interest and would talk to Bob about it and sort it.

Last thing I heard from Bob (middle of Jan) was that it he had indeed been approached by the SIDC and that it was still under discussion with the same underwriters as the RSOC....

So watch this space. And never, 4wd is still for girls! (as you will find out on the 8th & 20th Feb and 5th March!).
LOL
Mike
Old 07 March 2000, 02:59 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike,

Are you still in discussions about this or has it died the death? Obviously insurance is still a major bugbear so sort this one and you'll be a hero!!
Regards.
Raymond.

Old 07 March 2000, 05:03 PM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

Yes, please can we have an update on this? My insurance isn't due until June but I'd sure like to be able to take advantage of a scheme like this.
Old 07 March 2000, 05:06 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

All enquiries as to the progress should be directed to Anders, I left it in his capable hands....

Bob Deacon (the insurance bod for Dominion, the RSOC scheme) is now back from Egypt, so if things have progressed then Anders will be able to advise where everything is at.

Hope this assists.
Mike
Old 08 March 2000, 12:57 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mike.

You there, Anders? Put that dog down and talk to us. Please?